Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid-'40s René Herse tandem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mid-'40s René Herse tandem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 12:13 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Wow, that is so impressive. Machining is just such a fascinating thing. Looking forward to seeing this all together and finished. I think you could give This Old Tony a run for his money if you were to start your own youtube channel. How's your snarky humor?
Haaaa, that guy!
I actually think I've been watching too much youtube machining. I was required to make an instructional video for some science equipment I machined as a tool for my research, so others could use it, and surprised myself with the jokes I made, almost involuntarily.

By contrast, Abom79 is a way more prolific machinist but seemingly has no sense of humor. Maybe you lose that when it's your actual job. I have turned things on an American Pacemaker lathe like he uses, and it is indeed serious business. I'm super lucky to have access to the shop here at work, so I don't know how much videoing I could get away with! Maybe I'll give the youtube thing a shot in 30 years if retirement is still a thing at that point.
Old 10-06-20, 12:45 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
By contrast, Abom79 is a way more prolific machinist but seemingly has no sense of humor. Maybe you lose that when it's your actual job.
I feel like it's probably a combination of doing the work for money, and that work typically being really big.

The size of some of the stuff he swings in those lathes is a bit scary

I've got a feeling that our YouTube history has quite a bit of overlap

Also it's been fun following this, I'm always excited when I see this thread bumped!
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-25-22, 09:39 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Just got parts back from chrome, at Franklin Frame.

Getting nuts and bolts chromed is expensive! $4 each, because they had to be individually racked to plate. The plater could've done something called "barrel plating" where they all go into a barrel that turns slowly and acts as the electrode, making it unnecessary to rack the parts, but I guess nobody does that anymore. It may have been slightly cheaper in some instances to go with the reproductions that Jan Heine sells, but then it wouldn't be a real one anymore. A lot of the original screws are 5x0.75, a thread pitch that barely exists anymore and certainly isn't available from any retailer. I was able to get a Chinese-made tap and die to clear excess chrome from the threads, so that's good at least.

Because the racks and bolts have a lot of file marks and pits that still show through, I think any worries about the shiny chrome "letting down" the rest of the build or it being "overrestored" are unfounded! You gotta believe me, without a rechrome, I would have been letting down the paint. There were entire swaths of tubing completely devoid of chrome.

Now, before I start hanging parts on the bike, how should I preserve the original paint? It is beautiful original paint, but has rust spiderwebbing under it and is scraped off in places. I am thinking either linseed oil or car wax. Or both? The linseed oil mixed with coleman fuel dried nice and hard on my Trek, and looks to be holding up pretty well, for what it's worth. I am looking at patina preservation techniques that the car guys use for the Rolls Royces at Pebble Beach concours. Preservation, not restoration. Any ideas?

Last edited by scarlson; 03-27-22 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-26-22, 12:17 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Just got parts back from chrome, at Franklin Frame.

Getting nuts and bolts chromed is expensive! $4 each, because they had to be individually racked to plate. The plater could've done something called "barrel plating" where they all go into a barrel that turns slowly and acts as the electrode, making it unnecessary to rack the parts, but I guess nobody does that anymore. It may have been slightly cheaper in some instances to go with the reproductions that Jan Heine sells, but then it wouldn't be a real one anymore.

Because the racks and bolts have a lot of file marks and pits that still show through, I think any worries about the shiny chrome "letting down" the rest of the build or it being "overrestored" are unfounded! You gotta believe me, without a rechrome, I would have been letting down the paint. There were entire swaths of tubing completely devoid of chrome.

Now, before I start hanging parts on the bike, how should I preserve the original paint? It is beautiful original paint, but has rust spiderwebbing under it and is scraped off in places. I am thinking either linseed oil or car wax. Or both? The linseed oil mixed with coleman fuel dried nice and hard on my Trek, and looks to be holding up pretty well, for what it's worth. I am looking at patina restoration techniques that the car guys use for the Rolls Royces at Pebble Beach concours. Any ideas?
No idea on the paint but Bravo on the chrome and the rest, great work going with Jack, Bob Freeman relies on him for most of what he does I believe.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-26-22, 04:15 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Now, before I start hanging parts on the bike, how should I preserve the original paint? It is beautiful original paint, but has rust spiderwebbing under it and is scraped off in places. I am thinking either linseed oil or car wax. Or both? The linseed oil mixed with coleman fuel dried nice and hard on my Trek, and looks to be holding up pretty well, for what it's worth. I am looking at patina restoration techniques that the car guys use for the Rolls Royces at Pebble Beach concours. Any ideas?
I’m not a restorer but I play one in my shop and I slept in a motel6 last night, so - I’ve been using boiled linseed oil (BLO)for various things and am pleased with the result. Tools, wood handles, chrome bits, bike frames. I recently cleaned up a pair of toe cages and am coating with BLO cut with a bit of mineral spirits. Done the same to chrome plated bike bells. I’ve used BLO to treat two bike frames, preserved patina but brightened and protected the paint. They are both holding up well.

The, maybe, bad news: I think it takes a lot of coats. On the two bikes f/f, I stripped the bikes and applied 15 or 20 thin coats of cut BLO. Both times it was winter so I had plenty of time. Smear a coat on, wait a few minutes, wipe it off. One a day for as long as I felt like it. Easy but a long process. No worries. I like the smell of linseed oil. Natural. I like the idea that it’s so thin it seeps into tiny cracks, wee holes in chrome, paint dings, etc. So far, a good sealant. More durable than wax and easy to re-coat. YMMV
Likes For Prowler:
Old 03-26-22, 05:30 AM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Regarding preserving the paint: I think this calls for treating what is worthy of a museum like one!
https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...for-artifacts/

see motorized vehicle pdf.

recommend cleaning the frame with Orvus then perhaps some light polishing for any oxidation as they recommend followed by Renaissance wax.
Likes For Slowride79:
Old 03-26-22, 01:32 PM
scarlson 

Good suggestions. I have some nonionic detergent I can use for starters anyway. There's a fair bit of dirt in the lug details.

Here's a little effort I've made so far with restoration and reassembly of the brakes:

Before - n - after
Old 03-27-22, 08:47 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
It may have been slightly cheaper in some instances to go with the reproductions that Jan Heine sells, but then it wouldn't be a real one anymore.
Mang, that's some attention to detail!

I think I have some air in a WWII jerry can I can send you to pump up the tires. I'm not sure if the date matches the bike, but I would think it's close enough to be called period correct.
Old 03-27-22, 10:16 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by gugie
Mang, that's some attention to detail!

I think I have some air in a WWII jerry can I can send you to pump up the tires. I'm not sure if the date matches the bike, but I would think it's close enough to be called period correct.
Send it my way! I can put it on the basement shelves next to the Lucas replacement wiring harness smoke kit I got off ebay for my car.
Although if it's wartime WWII air, while the lead content would be correct, it won't have the appropriate radioisotope content to reflect the detonation of the atomic bombs which happened the year prior to this bike's construction. That immediate postwar era was a special time for the atmosphere...
Old 03-27-22, 10:21 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by merziac
No idea on the paint but Bravo on the chrome and the rest, great work going with Jack, Bob Freeman relies on him for most of what he does I believe.
Yeah, I was pleased mainly because he did not lose a single screw. That's impressive. Unboxing produced rich whiffs of either pipe tobacco or woodstove, which was also a nice touch.
Old 03-27-22, 01:22 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I can put it on the basement shelves next to the Lucas replacement wiring harness smoke kit I got off ebay for my car.
Before rebushing the upper grunnion banjos......
Likes For madpogue:
Old 03-27-22, 06:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I'm always excited when I see this thread bumped!
You can say that again!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: