Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kenesis Crosslight fork… hub spacing, dangerous?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kenesis Crosslight fork… hub spacing, dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-22, 07:15 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I think it was Admiral Hopper that once said: "One good measurement is worth a thousand good guesses."...Or something like that.

Either way. Good on you. All the best mechanics I have known have an eye for detail & a bit of humility. You'll do well here.

Last edited by base2; 12-22-22 at 07:24 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-22-22, 07:29 AM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
I should also add the reason I believe the hub is spaced about 1mm less than it should be. There is a Specialized cap on one side of the hub missing that seems to be more important than I first thought. The hub doesn’t spin 100% freely when the play is removed, perhaps it’s because of the cap and I think it could be where the 1mm discrepancy is coming from. I can’t imagine hunting down this cap would be easy, I think these Suntour hubs for Specialized are from the 1980’s. Not to mention, I’m not even certain how they were attached to it in the first place. It binds ever so slightly, but still spins quite smoothly for my purposes. If it gets damaged over time I will look into replacing it I suppose.

Last edited by boneshaker78; 12-22-22 at 12:23 PM.
Likes For boneshaker78:
Old 12-23-22, 03:43 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
I should also add the reason I believe the hub is spaced about 1mm less than it should be. There is a Specialized cap on one side of the hub missing that seems to be more important than I first thought. The hub doesn’t spin 100% freely when the play is removed, perhaps it’s because of the cap and I think it could be where the 1mm discrepancy is coming from. I can’t imagine hunting down this cap would be easy, I think these Suntour hubs for Specialized are from the 1980’s. Not to mention, I’m not even certain how they were attached to it in the first place. It binds ever so slightly, but still spins quite smoothly for my purposes. If it gets damaged over time I will look into replacing it I suppose.
It looks like you've got three threads showing, and that is generally considered the minimum.

My Gipiemme Sprints have those metal, polished dust-caps. Mine have one small hole in them, apparently for a pin-wrench of some sort, so they may screw on. I've never had to deal with them. I do not know what, if any, role the dust-caps play in axle support or bearing pre-load or retention, but I am thinking measure yours out, and search for a replacement, even from another brand. You might try taking the other one off, just to get an idea of its function.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 12-23-22 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 12-23-22, 03:54 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
It looks like you've got three threads showing, and that is generally considered the minimum.

My Gipiemme Sprints have those metal, polished dust-caps. Mine have one small hole in them, apparently for a pin-wrench of some sort, so they may screw on. I've never had to deal with them. I do not know what, if any, role the dust-caps play in axle support or bearing pre-load or retention, but I am thinking measure yours out, and search for a replacement, even from another brand. You might try taking the other one off, just to get an idea of its function.
Interesting, I’ll have to investigate it further and see what, if any, replacements might exist. I appreciate your efforts.
Likes For boneshaker78: