Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Feed Zone Cookbook and similar recipes for athletes

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 11:24 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got this book a few weeks ago and I'm guessing that several of us will end up with a copy over the holidays. So I figured I'd start a thread to see how the different recipes worked out for everyone.

I just made the 'Allen's Rice Cakes' from The Feed Zone. It took maybe 25 minutes total, and that was my first time. Not being picky about things would make it go a bit quicker.

I didn't use any oil when scrambling the eggs, just did it in a non-stick pan. I cooked them until they were fairly dry (to help the bars stick together). The bacon I made crispy. The real wild card is the brown sugar. It doesn't list any amount, so you're kind of left to your own resources. I mixed some in, tasted, mixed some more until I was happy. I ended up with a 1/2 cup packed. I don't really know if that's going to be right or not. I figured the more sugar you put in, the better they'll stick together, but if you get too much, they'll be cloyingly sweet. The whole idea of these things is to not be sweet like store bought bars.

I packed it down pretty tightly in a 9"x9" pan (by pressing another one on top of it with all my weight). Once that was done, I salted the top with Lite Salt, then sprinkled another handful of brown sugar on the top. I don't have any grated parmesan cheese (the Kraft powdery crap my wife uses doesn't count), so I'm just going without on that part of it. They're in the fridge overnight and I'll wrap them up in tinfoil in the morning.

A friend and I are going on a long ride tomorrow. We'll give them a go and I'll report back.

P.S. Notice I didn't put 'status' in the title. That's my Christmas present to Botto.
Old 12-21-11, 10:59 AM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good god man! Life is too short to use pasturized proceess imitation Parmesano cheese food product.

Here's my version of the rice cakes. It's more like sushi without the seaweed. Not being so sweet they taste much better than commercial bars. You need to use sushi rice to get them to hold together. I have the book and it's worth getting, although if you're vegetarian like me there are a lot of recipies that you can't use, even with a meat substitute.

If you can't cook at all this is a good book to start with as they explain the basics you will need (in the back of the book) but make it simple and focused for the stuff you'd make from this book. So it's quite unintimidating for novice cooks.

Eric's rice cakes:

1C sushi rice
1 egg

2teaspoon sugar
2Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 pinch salt

Cook rice in 2 cups water for 22 minutes.
While rice is cooking, make an omlet (not folded)
out of the egg. Turn out on to cutting board and dice.

Put vinegar sugar and salt into small pan, heat to dissolve.

When rice is done, mix in vinegar mixture and egg.
Turn out into a 9x9 pan, press down hard with a spoon.

Cover and refrigerate. Cut into 9 pieces.

86 calories/square
Old 12-21-11, 11:05 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what's wrong with a friggin banana?
Old 12-21-11, 11:59 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
1. Cat box treats taste better. (I'm relying on my two dogs opinions as well as my own taste for bananas on this one)
2. The mass-market cultivar, the Cavendish, is about to be mass-market-extinct due to disease so you'll likely be looking for a replacement soon.
Old 12-21-11, 10:54 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Good god man! Life is too short to use pasturized proceess imitation Parmesano cheese food product.
Correct
Old 12-21-11, 10:54 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Nothin'. You harshin' my Christmas buzz?
Old 12-21-11, 11:00 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bars went over well today. They are a little dry, but no more so than any Cliff bar sort of a thing. They taste good and travel well. Overall, I'm giving them a thumbs up. I thought they were pretty good, 7/10. My 7 year old daughter thought they were really good, 9/10. The friend I rode with today gave them an 8. My wife thought they were just wrong. I guess something about the bar shape and actual food taste threw her for a loop.

The 1/2 cup packed of brown sugar is about the right amount, but you could go more if you wanted.
Old 12-22-11, 07:21 AM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered that book for Christmas. Hoping it gives me some interesting ideas on post ride meals.