Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can this Downtube dent be saved?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 05:32 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Hi Guys,

There is this Anchor branded (Bridgestone) steel road bike which is their top line model that is for sale locally. The catch is that their is a pretty large dent on the downtube. is this type of dent in this type of location no longer rideable? Looks like it might have fallen on something and bounced around it during shipping since the headtube and fork dont look like they have collision damage. Can this severity of dent be rolled out? Not noticing any actual punctures in the steel but a lot of the sharper edges but would rolling this out potentially cause that? The steel looks to be custom made judging from the way it connects to the head tube, would that make replacing the downtube with conventional lugged steel a no go? Is it possible to just cut out and replace the damaged section? Appreciate any advice.

Old 08-08-23, 05:33 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Sorry I realized after hitting the submit button that the frame is not really C&V. Please move me if necessary. Apologies for the error.
Old 08-08-23, 05:49 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked 3,290 Times in 2,067 Posts
Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Sorry I realized after hitting the submit button that the frame is not really C&V. Please move me if necessary. Apologies for the error.
It's steel. It is close enough! And the question is interesting.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 08-08-23, 06:27 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 901 Posts
Cool frame, shame about the damage. Would guess it was caused by this method of locking to a rack.

Old 08-08-23, 06:51 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,817 Posts
I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 08-08-23, 07:25 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Cool frame, shame about the damage. Would guess it was caused by this method of locking to a rack.

Wow didn't think of this. These bikes enter the country as junk packed into containers like sardines so i figured it might have been damaged that way. Didn't think anyone would be locking up their bike that way haha.
Originally Posted by smd4
I wouldn't bother with it.
Not worth the trouble you think? Guy is selling for cheap so i figured since its a top end frame might be worth fixing it for my sister.
Old 08-08-23, 07:30 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
The appearance of the exposed metal suggests aluminum.

a hard knock life. I think ready for minimal use if that.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-08-23, 07:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,753 Times in 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The appearance of the exposed metal suggests aluminum.
Don't think so, unless it's bonded. The rear triangle looks to be steel given the way the dropouts and the bb are attached. The front triangle has really interesting construction. This is one bike where I would support removing the paint so I can see how it was made. The frame might be okay as a rider, hard to tell from here.
Old 08-08-23, 08:29 AM
smd4

Not worth the trouble you think? Guy is selling for cheap so i figured since its a top end frame might be worth fixing it for my sister.
It was a top-end frame. Personally, I would pass on it, but it's your money. Another nice frame will be along shortly.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-08-23, 08:32 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5898 Post(s)
Liked 3,508 Times in 2,093 Posts
I'd pass. I'd always wonder about the integrity of the frame which would diminish my enjoyment of the ride.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-08-23, 08:41 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 44 Posts
The strength of a tube is in the round shape. The round shape here has mostly gone.
A can of soda with this kind of dent, if standing on it, it would probably collapse.
Likes For DanseMacabre:
Old 08-08-23, 08:52 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by DanseMacabre
The strength of a tube is in the round shape. The round shape here has mostly gone.
A can of soda with this kind of dent, if standing on it, it would probably collapse.
this is the right way to look at it. The section modulus (inherent strength of the shape) has been compromised.

I don't know what you paid for that frame but I don't think it's safe to ride. I wouldn't ride it.

But what do I know ?

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-08-23, 09:21 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Rash of heavily dented downtubes today. Both could be fixed, and I typically am in favor of saving dented frames, both don't appear to be worth saving.

I'm glad this one was posted, I think I remember Bridgestone doing hydroformed tube ends like this? edit: Yep, found this online.
Old 08-08-23, 09:32 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
I can't speak to the repair prospects but as someone mentioned, this. was a top end frame at some point, and old top end frames are surprisingly easy to come by and often affordable. There are likely several for sale near you right now, if a quality frame for your sister is your main goal. Unless there is something particularly special about this frame that your or her were looking for, it seems like an easy pass to me.
Old 08-08-23, 10:00 AM
Fat Tire Trader 

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
One way to fix it is with blocks.

Watch this video.

Likes For Fat Tire Trader:
Old 08-08-23, 10:05 AM
BLRider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FTT, Nice video
Old 08-08-23, 10:06 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Good points for walking away all around, I shall follow your advice. But first, one final question. Say I made him a ridiculous and reasonable (given the state of the frame) offer, how low would that be? 5 bucks? 10 bucks? I realize passing = 0 bucks but sometimes when a super low number is presented things may change slightly. I am aware this sounds like I'm talking myself into the buy but fear not I will pass. This is just for curiosity sake like say maybe stripping down the paint to see how it was built .
Originally Posted by gugie
Rash of heavily dented downtubes today. Both could be fixed, and I typically am in favor of saving dented frames, both don't appear to be worth saving.

I'm glad this one was posted, I think I remember Bridgestone doing hydroformed tube ends like this? edit: Yep, found this online.
Also wondering why, if you think this could be saved, why it would not be worth saving? Would it be because you could never get the structural integrity back or would it be purely a cost thing? Yes the bike you posted is this model. They offer it as the Bridgestone RNC7 up until a year or so and they seem to go for hefty prices on auctions. I have never heard of hydroformed steel outside of this. The end result is quite pretty imo.

Here is a youtube vid showing their reverse ish butting at 1:52 and hydroforming. I guess they keep the internal width the same while contouring the external section. I dont speak Japanese but I think that might be a 1.7kg frame (1:09)?

Last edited by LeSexyFishorse; 08-08-23 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-08-23, 10:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Good points for walking away all around, I shall follow your advice. But first, one final question. Say I made him a ridiculous and reasonable (given the state of the frame) offer, how low would that be? 5 bucks? 10 bucks? I realize passing = 0 bucks but sometimes when a super low number is presented things may change slightly. I am aware this sounds like I'm talking myself into the buy but fear not I will pass. This is just for curiosity sake like say maybe stripping down the paint to see how it was built .

Also wondering why, if you think this could be saved, why it would not be worth saving?
If you're interested in the frame as a curio, or just to play around with, the amount is up to you and the buyer. Since I repair frames as a side gig, many people have just given me broken frames for free. Most of the time they're repairable, and I can use them for other projects.

Any frame is fixable, given enough time and money. If you can find the same or similar frame for the cost of fixing a broken one, why fix it?
Old 08-08-23, 11:16 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Don't think so, unless it's bonded. The rear triangle looks to be steel given the way the dropouts and the bb are attached. The front triangle has really interesting construction. This is one bike where I would support removing the paint so I can see how it was made. The frame might be okay as a rider, hard to tell from here.
should have suggested the magnet test. I would consider this frame the basis of an errand bike where the only lock needed would be the “keep honest people honest” security level.
Old 08-08-23, 11:26 AM
smd4

I think that frame's name is entirely accurate now.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-08-23, 11:54 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 1,070 Posts
Looks like an aluminum frame. It also looks like only one side of the tube is crushed, meaning that the head tube may still be in alignment.

My simple fix would be to first insure that the head tube is in alignment. I would then strip off all the paint from the down tube and inspect the tube inside and out for cracks. I would then take a half round sleeve of aluminum and Alumiweld it onto the out side of the tube.

Just a thought.

It certainly would look better then using a piece of angle iron the length of the tube fixed in place with hose clamps... Ha
Old 08-08-23, 04:11 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 2,597 Times in 1,083 Posts
Is this frame worth the risk? If it is steel, my answer is a firm "no." If it is aluminum, my answer is a loud "hell, no.)

But then, I'm allergic to pain, like my teeth where they are and do not enjoy the sound or sensation of bones breaking. YMMV.