Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike might be too small - solutions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 05:40 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I have been riding my BH G7 for years and have put over 46,000km on the bike. I know that bike like the back of my hand. Recently I bought a new bike, a BH Aerolight. I am starting to ride the bike and have just over 3,500km on the bike.

In riding the Aerolight I feel cramped in the cockpit. Looking at the measurements of the bikes, the top tube length of the G7 is 57cm. The top tube length of the Aerolight is 56cm. This explains, to me anyway, why I am feeling cramped. The headtube is also shorter, with the G7 being 18.5cm and the Aerolight being 15cm. Overall the bike feels smaller to me and when I look at the dimensions of the XL, they are a little closer to the G7 that I have been riding for years.

I followed up with two different bike shops and told them the bike I am currently riding - the G7 - and asked them what size bike they would recommend. Both shops recommended size L, which is what I am riding now.

My question is, am I boned? Both the G7 and Aerolight are size L, so I thought I'd be ok. But the feel of the Aerolight is that I am cramped. I do not know if this is b/c I have put 46,000km on the G7 so I am just used to the geometry of the G7. That after 46,000km on the Aerolight I will be just as comfortable.

Thoughts? Thank you.
Old 06-12-23, 05:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
What length stem are you using on the G7. A 1cm longer stem is going to deal with the reach. Then more spacers under the stem, and or more rise will deal with the drop in seat to bar.

Unless you’re already using an Uber long stem on the G7, this shouldn’t be a problem.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 06-12-23, 06:44 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Maybe you're in between sizes or maybe you've been riding a bike that's too large for too long. A 10mm longer stem can go a long way (no pun intended) with respect to dialing in the fit.
Old 06-12-23, 07:18 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Ignore bike shop advice and see a well recommended bike fitter in the area to find out which parts will adjust the bike most appropriately.
Old 06-12-23, 07:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
A couple things. First, is the saddle on the Aerolight the same height and setback as on the G7? If not, make it so.

Second, what length of stem is on the G7, and what length is on the Aerolight?

Third, instead of TT and HT length, look at Reach and Stack. These are the best measurements for comparing bike sizes. The Large Aerolight has 4mm MORE reach than the G7, so that's pretty close. But it has almost 30mm lower stack, which would put your bars about an inch lower than the G7. The TT length is longer on the G7 because the Seat Tube Angle is 0l5 degrees more slack than the Aerolight's. To get the saddle to the same setback, it will have to be farther back in the saddle clamp on the Aerolight.

So, you might feel "cramped" for a number of reasons. The saddle might be farther forward on the Aerolight, or the stem might be shorter, plus the bar may be a whole inch lower. In your place I'd address the saddle placement first, then adjust everything else.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-12-23, 08:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
To the sensible advice you've received here, I suggest comparing the handlebars. A shorter reach on the handlebar (=distance from the tops to the hoods) can make a cockpit feel cramped. I once had that feeling on a new bike, and a new handlebar solved it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-12-23, 08:34 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Also the seat tube angle is slightly steeper on the new bike. Not a big deal, but you may need to shift the saddle back a few mm to get a comparable fit. This will also help with the cramped feeling, but I agree a longer, higher rise stem is the most effective approach.
Likes For wayold:
Old 06-12-23, 09:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Copy the dimensions of what works on BH, like distance from nose of the seat to the bar and the height of the bar from the ground and replicate those on the aero using a longer stem and or more seat setback, headtube spacers, etc. I did this with my new/used Orbea which was a tad cramped and measured all the dimensions on my Bianchi and then made the changes and life was good.

Old 06-13-23, 06:50 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Ok, here we go. Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by yaw
Ignore bike shop advice and see a well recommended bike fitter in the area to find out which parts will adjust the bike most appropriately.
Funny you mention this about the bike fitter. I went for a bike fit. Twice. The first bike fitter didn't mention anything about frame size. The second bike fitter mentioned the frame might be a little on the too small size for me. This is what started me down the path of wondering if the frame was too small.

Originally Posted by genejockey
A couple things. First, is the saddle on the Aerolight the same height and setback as on the G7? If not, make it so.

Second, what length of stem is on the G7, and what length is on the Aerolight?

Third, instead of TT and HT length, look at Reach and Stack. These are the best measurements for comparing bike sizes. The Large Aerolight has 4mm MORE reach than the G7, so that's pretty close. But it has almost 30mm lower stack, which would put your bars about an inch lower than the G7. The TT length is longer on the G7 because the Seat Tube Angle is 0l5 degrees more slack than the Aerolight's. To get the saddle to the same setback, it will have to be farther back in the saddle clamp on the Aerolight.

So, you might feel "cramped" for a number of reasons. The saddle might be farther forward on the Aerolight, or the stem might be shorter, plus the bar may be a whole inch lower. In your place I'd address the saddle placement first, then adjust everything else.
First, saddle height is the same. Setback is not. Setback is actually further away on the new bike as compared to the G7. I toss this up to the fact the top tube is shorter. So the distance between the saddle setback and the centre bolt of the stem is about 1 inch more on the Aerolight.
Regarding stem length, I have to measure. The stem on the Areolight is built into the handlebar, compared to the G7 where the handlebar and stem are separate pieces.
Third, I have no spacers to raise the handlebars. As the saying goes 'it is what it is'. That is good advice about the saddle having to be further back in the saddle clamp on the Aerolight. I will look into that.

Originally Posted by Koyote
To the sensible advice you've received here, I suggest comparing the handlebars. A shorter reach on the handlebar (=distance from the tops to the hoods) can make a cockpit feel cramped. I once had that feeling on a new bike, and a new handlebar solved it.
I will give the reach on the handlebars a measure to be sure. The seat of my pants feel is that the Aerolight has a shorter reach. But I need to measure to confirm.

Originally Posted by wayold
Also the seat tube angle is slightly steeper on the new bike. Not a big deal, but you may need to shift the saddle back a few mm to get a comparable fit. This will also help with the cramped feeling, but I agree a longer, higher rise stem is the most effective approach.
Thank you. I will look into moving the saddle back a little bit to get a comfortable fit.

Originally Posted by rsbob
Copy the dimensions of what works on BH, like distance from nose of the seat to the bar and the height of the bar from the ground and replicate those on the aero using a longer stem and or more seat setback, headtube spacers, etc. I did this with my new/used Orbea which was a tad cramped and measured all the dimensions on my Bianchi and then made the changes and life was good.
I tried to do this but in some areas of the bike I was unable to do a 1:1 fit/copy. I am also challenged on getting a longer stem on the Aerolight as the stem is built into the handlebar. I will see what I can do.
Old 06-13-23, 08:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

You want to be measuring saddle setback relative to the BB, not the stem. I do this by standing the bike up with the back wheel against a wall. Then measure from the floor to the BB center, then from the wall to the BB center. Then take all measurements from the wall or the floor, and subtract.

Another subtlety is how similar the saddles are.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-13-23, 09:41 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
The set length of the integrated stem is going to be an issue. You can only do so much with saddle adjustments in regards to setback position but you really don’t want to over compensate having the saddle too far back. The last thing you want is physically changing your hip position which can lead to making your glutes and hamstrings work harder and even affecting your pedal stroke due to the saddle being pushed too far back.

Is the integrated stem/handlebar a proprietary component from BH?
Old 06-13-23, 10:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
The stack and reach measurements of your 2 bikes are vastly different and make it clear why you feel like your new bike is cramped.
Really the stack height.

30mm less stack height is, for me, quite noticeable.

If you reduce stack, you effectively increase reach. With that said, if you are hunched over more, that can mice the feeling of being cramped, even if you reach more as a result.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-14-23, 06:34 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Lots of interesting answers... You can adjust all kind of things on a bike, but Stack & Reach cannot be modified. They are both fixed and based on the frame measurement.

Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-14-23, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
You say you feel "cramped". But is that just a feeling or perception?

If you aren't having any pains or other physical issues, then maybe you'd do better to look at and compare your performance data between the two bikes. Perhaps the one you feel cramped on is something you just need to get use to if your numbers are better on that bike.

I don't believe that a bike properly fitted to you means that you are in the same position on every bike that you ever ride.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-14-23 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 02:39 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I always say to match stack and reach as closely as possible, before buying. If you don't do that, expect problems. I always duplicate my previous position. My latest frames came with -7 degree integrated bar/stem, so I also accounted for that with a smaller stack than my bike with a -17 stem.
Old 06-16-23, 04:12 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You want to be measuring saddle setback relative to the BB, not the stem.
This 100%! I personally use a plumb bob from the tip of the saddle and measure where it points on the chain stay to the center of the BB, but there are multiple ways to do it.
Old 06-16-23, 04:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by urbanknight
This 100%! I personally use a plumb bob from the tip of the saddle and measure where it points on the chain stay to the center of the BB, but there are multiple ways to do it.
Yeah, the plumb bob method always bugged me, so I developed the "wall and floor" method.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-16-23, 04:28 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
There are only three contact points on a bike. Seat, bar and pedals. What's in between is largely irrelevant. - Use a tape measure to discover how the new bike is different from the old in respect to distance between said contact points. Looking at the frame geometry tells you very little, almost nothing, because bar, seat post, seat, stem etc. can be of different dimensions and setting and all contribute strongly to final fit.
Old 06-18-23, 10:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
The problem here is that the new bike has a much lower frame stack and adding spacers (if the steerer tube is even long enough) will reduce reach further because of the sloping head angle. Normally you would compensate with a longer stem, but if the new bike has an integrated stem then that's a relatively expensive change.

Basically the new bike has a much more aggressive fit than the old one i.e. way lower stack for an equivalent reach. The XL frame would compensate for the stack height, but then the reach could well be too long. I would question if this is the right bike for your fit preferences (assuming you don't want a more aggressive fit than your current bike).
Old 06-18-23, 01:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Just another emphasis on getting the saddle setback correct relative to the bottom bracket, not the stem. (I use a variation of the plumb bob method - vertical spirit level.) I'm also fortunate in that I use the same saddle and very similar bars on all my road bikes so I can compare some simple measurements to do the saddle setback, height and distance to the tops and hoods of the bars.

Unfortunately, by having an integrated bar/stem, you're missing a couple of relatively easy and inexpensive critical adjustment solutions without replacing them. It might not look pro, but if you had a separate bar/stem, you could get a stem with a higher rise and/or different lengths to get the bars where you might need them to be. Stems are cheap to experiment with. New bars can be expensive, but you can also experiment with less expensive ones to get the sort of handlebar drop and reach which might help. Then buy the "good" bar and stem you decide on and sell the surplus on ebay.

Personally, I don't get integrated bars, but I guess it can be worthwhile if someone is absolutely sure about fitting. I could probably get away with it having built up several different road bike frames in the past and I have a decent ability to translate between geometry charts. But I doubt they make them with upturned stems like I have on all my bikes (in addition to maximum spacers)

Last edited by Camilo; 06-18-23 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-18-23, 02:12 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

Personally, I don't get integrated bars, but I guess it can be worthwhile if someone is absolutely sure about fitting.
They can be really nice. My Canyon has integrated bars and they are the most comfortable I've ever used. No stem clamp is simply clean and maintenance free. But obviously you do have to get it right first time and no fine adjustment of bar angle. But if the fit works then it's a great solution.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-18-23, 05:42 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
They can be really nice. My Canyon has integrated bars and they are the most comfortable I've ever used. No stem clamp is simply clean and maintenance free. But obviously you do have to get it right first time and no fine adjustment of bar angle. But if the fit works then it's a great solution.
i changed mine out once, it actually wasn’t that much more expensive. (frequent) sale price on new cockpit, sold the original mint-condition one for maybe $100 less, tops. a little more than a stem - of course you can sell a stem - but i also went 20mm narrower on the bars.
Old 06-18-23, 05:53 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Most people shrink over time.
Old 06-18-23, 06:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Most people shrink over time.
And get less flexible, less power in the legs (meaning more weight on butt and arms), less interest in discomfort, etc. etc.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-18-23, 07:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I would recommend in bathing in scalding hot water, then putting yourself in the dryer on ‘high’ and while you are tumbling, resolving to never buy a too small bike in the future. When done, if you haven’t shrunk to the right size, repeat the process until you get it right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.