Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bottle cages that retain the bottle firmly - recommends?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bottle cages that retain the bottle firmly - recommends?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 11:22 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,093 Posts
I use Minoura (alloy) - King (titanium) - and Enve (composite) cages

( Enve cage is 18g )

you might like the Enve cage

I use Specialized Purist bottles primarily (different sizes including Chromotek)

Last edited by t2p; 04-16-24 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-22-24, 04:54 AM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
The Specialized Zee cage is the mountain biker's choice for a bottle cage that won't drop your bottle and the plastic ones never scratched any of my bottles. I don't have experience with the carbon ones on scratching, but they have the same perfect reputation on bottle retention. If they can make it down a hill covered in rocks and roots, surely they can hang on to your bottle when you hop over a speed bump.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ze...=274169-172378
Old 04-22-24, 03:37 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Never heard of Rib Cage III, but I use plastic Rib Cage IIs and have never once had a bottle fly out no matter how bad/fast I've slammed stuff. I won't use anything else, but they will scratch the bottle, but...it's a water bottle, so who cares?

I've also used the Zee Cage and that also never dropped a bottle, but was ugly.
Likes For puma1552:
Old 04-22-24, 03:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Liked 3,157 Times in 1,662 Posts
The spesh rib cages hold pretty well. I like using classy stainless cages on some bikes (King or other brands), but they don't grab as tight and can toss bottles. So I don't use them on race bikes or my MTB. I have rib cages on those. The rib cages will scuff up your bottles if you care about that sort of thing.
Old 04-22-24, 08:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 6993 Post(s)
Liked 10,979 Times in 4,699 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I like using classy stainless cages on some bikes (King or other brands), but they don't grab as tight and can toss bottles.
Try this SS King cage and let me know if it ejects a bottle.

I won't hold my breath while waiting.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-23-24, 07:55 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Whether they look alright on a cf race bike is debatable -- but for consistent bottle retention, nothing beats this one. I've got so many King cages that I've lost track, but I'd guess that my oldest pair of these (purchased in 2005) have been used for around 50k miles so far. And the brilliance of the design is that they never -- NEVER -- lose their shape, never need to be bent back in order to hold bottle snugly.
I don't disagree with anything you've said about the King Iris...but OP did specify that his preferred cage would hold a bottle "but not so firmly you have difficulty getting the bottle out" and I gotta say, some days it feels like I'm doing a biceps workout trying to get the bottle out of my stainless steel Iris! Yep, definitely never gonna lose a bottle from these grippy suckers!
Old 04-23-24, 08:44 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I don't disagree with anything you've said about the King Iris...but OP did specify that his preferred cage would hold a bottle "but not so firmly you have difficulty getting the bottle out" and I gotta say, some days it feels like I'm doing a biceps workout trying to get the bottle out of my stainless steel Iris! Yep, definitely never gonna lose a bottle from these grippy suckers!
True, they do hold onto bottles very tightly.
Old 04-23-24, 09:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
I've never heard of cages that threw bottles. Is OP riding paris roubaix or something?

The problem with too tight cages is that they often scratch bottles and/or they are hard AF to pull out, which is a PITA.
Old 04-23-24, 09:40 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I've never heard of cages that threw bottles.
when I used Tacx Tao cages I had bottles jettisoned on three separate occasions. One of those was on gravel, the other two times were on paved roads. Stupid design, it's more of a cup holder than a bottle cage: Doesn't grip at all.
And that doesn't include all the times (7 or 8 total iirc) that the tab which supports the bottom of the bottle snapped off mid-ride, rendering the cage unusable. Yeah, Tacx Tao is a flaming dumpster fire, not recommended.
Old 04-23-24, 09:46 AM
Koyote

[QUOTE=eduskator;23221611]I've never heard of cages that threw bottles. Is OP riding paris roubaix or something?

You've seriously never heard of this happening? Really?

You must ride exclusively on glassy-smooth roads which lack RR crossings and any other imperfections, and/or you and all your riding friends use very good bottle cages.