Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Back after a layoff...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Back after a layoff...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 11:47 AM
Gary in VA
Make mine lard...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back after a layoff...

I recently moved to for a new job in MD (guess I should change my screen name). Back in Lynchburg, VA I communted to work several times a week. I ended up plotting out a route that had the least amount of traffic as Lynchburg really isn't that bike friendly of a town. I coummuted for a year before moving to SW VA because of a change in employement. The new location was in the mountains and I wasn't able to bike commute. Lost my job there and ended up in MD.

My first week at the new job I started looking at my possiblities of biking to work in this big city environment. There is a paved trail that would get me 90% of the way there. Saturday I decided to try a ride into work to see if I could do it after a 2 year layoff from commuting. Left the house at 9am, it was already 86 degrees with high humidity. The ride in was a lot different than what I was used to. Mainly consisted of road crossings on the trail and lots of hills. I made the 7 mile ride in under 55 minutes without much trouble.

I'm looking forward to start commuting a couple times a week to start out. Gotta get the bike set up for the urban environment (taking seat bag and frame mounted pump off and into the panniers). My work has a rack in the parking garage that has cameras on it so it should be pretty safe. There's a bathroom in the basement with a shower and lockers so I gotta look into that too.

It's good to be back to commuting.
Old 07-25-11, 12:26 PM
MijnWraak
Noobie of the year :)

Bikes: 1980's Miyata Seven Ten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My work has a rack in the parking garage that has cameras on it so it should be pretty safe. There's a bathroom in the basement with a shower and lockers so I gotta look into that too.
Looks like you found the perfect job! Now look for a longer route
Old 07-25-11, 12:29 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hurrah! I'm so happy for you! Employed and keeping fit and buying less petrol to support the godd@mn wars!
Old 07-25-11, 01:02 PM
thorsteno
wannabe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the employment. Better yet, congrats on the new commute.
Old 07-25-11, 01:12 PM
Gary in VA
Make mine lard...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The company I'm working for is too good to believe. It was almost worth 8 months of unemployment to come work for this company. I keep finding out every day I come to work how awsome of a company it is. I'm truly blessed.
Old 07-25-11, 02:56 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Make sure you talk with security (or whomever watches the cameras) and let them know you will be commuting by bike. Some places have dummy cameras or cameras that don't work (and won't be fixed).