Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cabin-fever and too much snow is wearing thin on people

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cabin-fever and too much snow is wearing thin on people

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 10:40 AM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grrrrr.....

Cranky is starting to be inadequate to express what I'm feeling. Weather Underground's forecast goes out to the 25th, and there are only two days in that forecast that even touch 45*

New bike is supposed to be arriving at the LBS sometime this week, and I'm not going to be happy with this weather situation. Last winter was so mild that anything in the 30's felt cold, and even in a normal year it's unusual not to get at least a handful of 50 or 60 degree days scattered around the month of March. Last year we had a week of 70+ degree weather that devastated the state's fruit crop when the temps went south again in April, so I'm not hoping for that, but a few days (preferably weekend days) in the 50's would certainly help my mood.

Last Sunday was the only decent day this month reaching 60*, but bracketed by two 45-degree days, and I was unable to get out that day.

Grrrr.....
Old 03-15-13, 07:07 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
Grrrrr.....

Cranky is starting to be inadequate to express what I'm feeling. Weather Underground's forecast goes out to the 25th, and there are only two days in that forecast that even touch 45*

New bike is supposed to be arriving at the LBS sometime this week, and I'm not going to be happy with this weather situation. Last winter was so mild that anything in the 30's felt cold, and even in a normal year it's unusual not to get at least a handful of 50 or 60 degree days scattered around the month of March. Last year we had a week of 70+ degree weather that devastated the state's fruit crop when the temps went south again in April, so I'm not hoping for that, but a few days (preferably weekend days) in the 50's would certainly help my mood.

Last Sunday was the only decent day this month reaching 60*, but bracketed by two 45-degree days, and I was unable to get out that day.

Grrrr.....
I have the Wunderground app and typically love their accuracy but not recently. Being about 250mi north of you, it aint lookin' much better. When it hits 40 and calm winds with sunny shining....I'm out there. It has not quit snowing up here. Crap.
Old 03-16-13, 07:29 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You can come spend a while with us, we had our third straight day with highs in the low 70s yesterday and more in the forecast. that along with the blue-bowl skies are making for nice riding weather. Come on summer and the 95°F days so I can stop having cold toes and fingers.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-16-13, 09:23 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
You can come spend a while with us, we had our third straight day with highs in the low 70s yesterday and more in the forecast. that along with the blue-bowl skies are making for nice riding weather. Come on summer and the 95°F days so I can stop having cold toes and fingers.

Bill
Last week I got out when it was a sunny, calm 32. My fingers were icy and had me wishing for brown jersey walmart gloves. No long rides but I am finding our hilly countryside to be a shaper upper for now.....or the next 3wks by the looks of it. We dont even have a hint of a 45deg day on the long range forecast.
Old 03-16-13, 11:22 PM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on summer and the 95°F days so I can stop having cold toes and fingers.
Hey, Bill - I got your cold toes and fingers right here...
Old 03-17-13, 12:05 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Today looked like this...

Last year at this time we had no snow and held a St Patrick's day pub crawl on our summer bikes...
Old 03-17-13, 12:46 AM
sotramk

Bikes: Trek 1100

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Grrrrr.....

Grrrr.....
I feel ya.
Have had the opportunity to get in a few nice night rides after the wind dies down.
The good days for riding have been few and far between. Curse that bitter wind coming down from Canada
Won't be long till we're crying about the heat.
Old 03-17-13, 09:45 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Grrrrr.....

Grrrr.....
Been seeing and feeling the same thing! "Luckily" I need so much overtime the next three weeks I'm gonna have rebuild even the meager base I have now, once the weather starts to stay above 36 or so!
Old 03-17-13, 03:13 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

S'okay Steve I am riding in 73 ° temps this afternoon and have since Tuesday

Bill

Old 03-17-13, 04:01 PM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And he keeps rubbin' it in!! Ma!! Bill's pickin' on us again!!

There IS a glimmer of springlike hope...the forecast shows highs of 48 and 50 on the 26th & 27th. Maybe we can hope for a bit of a break for Easter??
Old 03-17-13, 04:52 PM
OldsCOOL

I switched over to accuweather because their forecast looked better.

But there still is not one day of near 50 temps on the 15 day forecast
Old 03-17-13, 05:21 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sotramk
I feel ya.
Have had the opportunity to get in a few nice night rides after the wind dies down.
The good days for riding have been few and far between. Curse that bitter wind coming down from Canada
Won't be long till we're crying about the heat.
I start riding around 0430~0530 when it's hot....heck usually I ride that early unless I have the day off when it's cold. In the cold times of the year, and I have the day off, I ride in the afternoon so it's warmer and I have the sun.
Old 03-17-13, 07:41 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

Bill
Let me add another humph!

Weird weather. On St. Patrick's day last year I rode a very warm populaire. Yesterday I got sunburned for the first time in years because everyone knows you don't need sunscreen in March

Today it has rained or snowed all day.

Old 03-17-13, 09:01 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
An update from New York...

Last week (March 11-15), there were a couple of days that sounded and smelled like spring. Needless to say, my energy level went through the roof just at the thought of pulling the bikes out of the basement and getting on the road again. By the end of the week, however, the temps plummeted back into the thirties and forties and are supposed to remain there for a while. We're even seeing snow flurries again here on Long Island.

My knees, at this point, feel like they've been welded at the caps. I've gotta get moving soon or there's gonna be trouble!
Old 03-19-13, 06:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Steve,
Back to reality here today, front moved through last night so we have a low in the lower 40s tonight and the mid 30s Wednesday. Luckily the highs will be in the low to mid 60s so riding will be comfortable. Sounds like the Mid-Atlantic and New England members are going to get another snow event, though. I ride yesterday in shorts and jersey, it hit 86° and was comfortable, I knew it would end but it was fun.

Bill

Old 03-19-13, 07:46 AM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride yesterday in shorts and jersey, it hit 86° and was comfortable, I knew it would end but it was fun.
I never thought I'd be one of those people thinking about becoming "snow birds" spending the winter in Florida, but if this keeps up you're gonna get a new neighbor!

Temp is about 25* right now and it'll be snowing off and on today. Normal temps for this time of year is mid-40's. Then again, it seems that climate change is making it impossible to say what "normal" is anymore...
Old 03-19-13, 08:20 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
An update from New York...

Last week (March 11-15), there were a couple of days that sounded and smelled like spring. Needless to say, my energy level went through the roof just at the thought of pulling the bikes out of the basement and getting on the road again. By the end of the week, however, the temps plummeted back into the thirties and forties and are supposed to remain there for a while. We're even seeing snow flurries again here on Long Island.

My knees, at this point, feel like they've been welded at the caps. I've gotta get moving soon or there's gonna be trouble!
Take it out and ride regardless PAPA. As long as its not snowing or accumulating too much, I ride no matter what. Its not the most pleasant conditions but at least it wards off the cabin fever. Better weather is coming soon. Right now, another major snow storm lurks.
Old 03-19-13, 08:45 AM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
Take it out and ride regardless PAPA. As long as its not snowing or accumulating too much, I ride no matter what. Its not the most pleasant conditions but at least it wards off the cabin fever. Better weather is coming soon. Right now, another major snow storm lurks.
I'm chronically cold (see my entry in the thread about cold sensitivity and aging) so I've been very reluctant to try to ride in this weather. At 45*, with my shorts, a pair of lycra tights, an under-armor shirt, a fleece cycling jacket, and a skull cap, it wasn't too bad. If I go out at that temp again, I think I might add another layer - maybe a light wool sweater - between the wicking and outer layers.

The worst was my toes, hands and the fact that my nose runs continuously when I get out in the cold. Thinking (silly me - what right do I have to think?!?) that the weather was going to improve last Saturday and I was going to get a chance to get out for a couple of hours, I looked at some of those booties that go over your shoes but the cheapest ones they had in the shop were $50, and the guy at the shop was a little skeptical that they do all that much (he wraps some duct tape as a wind-break around his toes!) For the record, it was 30 and we got about 2 inches of sloppy wet snow on Saturday

There's a guy that I see every morning commuting by bike in the opposite direction I do on my way to the office, in any kind of weather all year long. I've always been impressed at his skill, preparation and determination to do that....
Old 03-19-13, 10:18 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm chronically cold (see my entry in the thread about cold sensitivity and aging) so I've been very reluctant to try to ride in this weather. At 45*, with my shorts, a pair of lycra tights, an under-armor shirt, a fleece cycling jacket, and a skull cap, it wasn't too bad. If I go out at that temp again, I think I might add another layer - maybe a light wool sweater - between the wicking and outer layers.

The worst was my toes, hands and the fact that my nose runs continuously when I get out in the cold. Thinking (silly me - what right do I have to think?!?) that the weather was going to improve last Saturday and I was going to get a chance to get out for a couple of hours, I looked at some of those booties that go over your shoes but the cheapest ones they had in the shop were $50, and the guy at the shop was a little skeptical that they do all that much (he wraps some duct tape as a wind-break around his toes!) For the record, it was 30 and we got about 2 inches of sloppy wet snow on Saturday

There's a guy that I see every morning commuting by bike in the opposite direction I do on my way to the office, in any kind of weather all year long. I've always been impressed at his skill, preparation and determination to do that....
I hear ya. Too bad the cold affects you so much. I don't like the cold either but found that if I dressed for it, it was seamless for my commute. I use 2 wicking long sleeve layers under my cycling jacket, snowmobile mitts, beanie under my helmet, hiking boots with wool socks and have been able to be in -10degF for 1.5 hours this past winter on some runs into the office. The snow is more of an issue for me than cold. If it starts to pile up, the riding is over until plows get it cleaned up. Although a couple inches of it is fun and very navigable.
Old 03-19-13, 10:38 AM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
The snow is more of an issue for me than cold. If it starts to pile up, the riding is over until plows get it cleaned up. Although a couple inches of it is fun and very navigable.
Anything special for the tires? It's always seemed to me that (unless you're riding one of those Surly Mukluks) riding a bike on snow & ice is an accident waiting to happen!

However, I see lots of people doing it, so it can't be as dangerous as it seems. While I swapped 'em out for 32mm tires, my hybrid originally came with big 2 or 2 1/4" tires, so I could easily put those back on for winter riding, though they're very smooth - no tread at all.
Old 03-19-13, 11:17 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Riding on hardpack snow is possible with regular (nonstudded) tires but is risky. Schwalbe and Continental both offer winter tires without studs. These are better than summer racing tires or low cost city tires, but are not the equal of studded tires on ice while turning or when traveling on off-camber and crowned roads.

I'll ride in the winter without studs, but I'll be very careful of how I handle the bike.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-19-13, 11:18 AM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem427
So far, so good. Love the snow... hate high winds and freezing rain. March and April can have a little bit of everything.

This guy is "committed."
Old 03-19-13, 06:41 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Steve,
Back to reality here today, front moved through last night so we have a low in the lower 40s tonight and the mid 30s Wednesday. Luckily the highs will be in the low to mid 60s so riding will be comfortable. Sounds like the Mid-Atlantic and New England members are going to get another snow event, though. I ride yesterday in shorts and jersey, it hit 86° and was comfortable, I knew it would end but it was fun.

Bill
I might have a high of 29 here tomorrow. Still may try to get out and ride.

The Other Bill (The colder one.)
Old 03-20-13, 05:43 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Vandercar the Warlock spoke to me in a dream, said, " I am tired of winter, It shall be gone"

So

Relax and watch the snow melt peeps.
Old 03-20-13, 07:20 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
This guy is "committed."
Well, he should be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.