Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Am I Just a Wimp or What?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 05:11 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts

Have been enjoying great weather here in the barren north country of Canada (yes, we actually get some decent riding weather here), and to celebrate I took a couple of the herd out for exercise. Had a wonderful ride on the Glider, and then took out the Trek 600 for a nice (but reasonably short) ride.

Here's my problem: either I've caught the IGH/English roadster bug really badly (that is probably the case) or I am getting old, but much as I enjoyed the ride on the Trek (man is that a lovely ride - fast and smooth), I could not get used to the riding position. Tried the drops - could barely lift my head enough to see over my bifocals; and riding on the hoods still strained my neck. I really enjoyed the feel of the bike, but at the end of a 15km ride my neck was ready to give up.

I ordered a set of Northroad bend bars for the Trek last night - I'm still deciding what saddle works well with a more upright riding position, but I just wanted to get a feel from the forum about others' experiences with riding dropped bars. I see so many wonderful pictures of folks out for long rides with drop bars (and I know many of you are older than me - 53), so what am I missing?

ps. Just waiting for one more bit to arrive and I'll be able to take out my AO-8/IGH conversion for its maiden run.....can't wait!
Old 05-06-13, 05:15 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
It just sounds like poor fitting to me. If your body is changing your fit might as well. You might want a taller stem, etc. I know when I ride a bike that's not set up right for me, I am miserable after just a few miles.
Old 05-06-13, 05:22 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
At age 80, all my kids are older than you!
Agree, proper fit is the soloution.
Yes still ride drop handlebars on both my single and on our tandem.
Have ridden many a ride in Ontario . . . Canada's Sunshine Parlor!
Old 05-06-13, 05:39 PM
sotramk

Bikes: Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Conditioning perhaps?
I'm 56 and coming off of back to back years with "Frozen Shoulder". Swapped the stock stem for a Nitto Periscopa to raise and shorten things up some. I also got a Brooks Champion Flyer saddle to cush the tush a little.
As my conditioning improves I make adjustments to the fit.
These exercises help me alot.

Keep riding, it gets better.
Old 05-06-13, 06:01 PM
markk900

Thanks for the encouragement all! Just to be clear though, I have no issue at all with the riding itself, just the neck strain on drop bars. I have always felt this to one extent or another in the 40 years I have been riding on bikes with drops - always an issue with neck strain.....then I ride an English 3-speed and all of that goes away. However, what also goes away is the joy of a light, narrow-tired bike with instant acceleration and fantastic brakes! I am building an IGH based on a Peugeot as a kind of experiment (I had that bike 40 years ago when I was a young racer wannabe and didn't complain about drops then)....

Having said that though, I will review my riding position and see if raising the bars will help. I am pretty sure I am good with saddle position and seat height and angle (based on feel and the numerous sites that purport to help you set yourself up), and I have tried a couple of different stem lengths (albeit not on the Trek but on the Peugeot), with noticeable differences in feel but no permanent relief on the neck. Other suggestions for things to look for (or links to fitting sites) would be welcome.
Old 05-06-13, 06:03 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
When I first started riding centuries a couple years ago, my neck would get so sore by the dmf that I could barely keep going. It got better. Now I hardly notice my neck any more.

My advice would be to ride whatever you want to ride and trust your body to accommodate.
Old 05-06-13, 06:18 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I face planted in 2002, breaking my neck in two places. I, too, suffer from neck curl syndrome. With that in mind, I changed my riding position in a few different ways.

First, I ride a larger frame these days. Second, the most comfortable bike I ride now is my Specialized Junker II with bullhorn handlebars...

And, I just modernized my Cyclops, once again allowing for a more upright riding position, and no neck concerns so far and so good, but I have less than 100 miles on the Cyclops in its present form. More ride time on the Cyclops will tell the tale...

Finally, last year I installed a different set of bars on my Motobecane Grand Jubilee. The result was pretty good, reducing my neck pain, but handling is a bit touchy, in my opinion. I might change the bars out again, only to what I am not sure just now...
Old 05-06-13, 06:34 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
It just sounds like poor fitting to me. If your body is changing your fit might as well. You might want a taller stem, etc. I know when I ride a bike that's not set up right for me, I am miserable after just a few miles.
This.
Old 05-06-13, 07:32 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
As noted above, there are a number of different possible causes and solutions for your neck discomfort. I typically ride in what might be considered a fairly aggressively low position on the drops, and when I've been away from riding for more than a week I feel it in my neck a little bit when I get back to riding again. But when I'm riding regularly it is no issue. FWIW.
Old 05-06-13, 07:33 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
the four or five different hand positions provided with drop bars help me tremendously in fighting fatigue on long rides. of course, i might feel differently if i suffered from neck strain.

if i were honest, i probably ride more on the hoods now than i once did.
Old 05-06-13, 10:40 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
the four or five different hand positions provided with drop bars help me tremendously in fighting fatigue on long rides.
This is my experience as well. When I got back into riding about 5 years ago, I was on the the flats about 90% of the time, and the hoods and drops each about 5%. Upright was just more comfortable. Really needed those turkey lever brakes. Now that I'm doing 200 - 300 miles/month, I'm finding myself in the drops more like 50% of the time; it just feels right. But I'm constantly shifting positions, and am very careful to dial in saddle and stem positions that feel good to me. I'm a whiny little b*tch if you put me on a bike that feels too small.

If I'm in an intense climb, or a severe headwind, sometimes I feel myself tensing up in the neck and shoulders, and I do whatever I can to loosen up those muscles; usually alternating hands on the flats while I do Pete Townsend style windmills with the other arm until loosen up.

And yeah; no one else will ride with me
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-06-13, 11:50 PM
Mbrgr1

Bikes: Lightning stealth, Sun sport EZ, Banshee Paradox, Bike E recumbents, Takara, Schwinn Sierra, Bianchi Grizzly

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read this article (see link), and have felt better about me bolt upright position. I am 6'5 with a 34 inseam and relatively short legs, and there just does not seem to be a drop handled road bike I can ride easily. I'm sure it has to do with flexibility and conditioning, but I am happy to be up where I can see everything, and, with the NM winds this time of year, I don't need brakes! :~)

The tips of my grips are 46 inches off the ground!

https://momentummag.com/articles/upri...njoy-the-ride/

Old 05-14-13, 06:49 PM
markk900

Follow up: I decided that being upright was the right direction for me, so did a little online shopping and have converted the Trek to this:

The best thing is since I had a spare stem, I was able to swap these bars in without altering anything (I'm trying to keep the Trek as stock as possible since I can - I do have the pedals and the pie plate stored).....took it out for a ride and I LOVE it .... fast and responsive and amazing brakes, and no neck issues. The saddle was even comfortable, though I might move my Brooks B67 over to the Trek.

In the end, this will let me enjoy the bike more as I will ride it instead of looking at it while holding my back!

Last edited by markk900; 05-14-13 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 07:53 PM
k_randomfactor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! And it gives me some ideas...

I have a Trek 728 that I'm converting to a more upright, 'round town/greenway bike, and was debating bars. I was planning on a flat bar, but I like the look of those Northroads. Decisions decisions...
Old 05-14-13, 08:11 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I have those same bars on my old 10 speed bike as well. Great riding position and lets me relax and enjoy another way of riding. I've put the Brooks B66 on it, another great decision !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 05-14-13, 08:24 PM
markk900

Originally Posted by k_randomfactor
I was planning on a flat bar, but I like the look of those Northroads. Decisions decisions...
I'll report after I have a chance to get a few miles under me but I like the bend of the Northroad style....I have the Porteur style on my IGH converted Peugeot and I like them too but they actually end up feeling pretty racy - these are definitely relaxed.

@3speedslow - nice job on the Free Spirit....I like the look. I will try out the Brooks sometime in the near future but right now the avocet actually feels OK....