Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Retirement Update

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Retirement Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 10:26 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Retirement Update

Thanks to all of you who responded to my posts on "What would you do", "What is retirement really like" and "Routes for Cross Country Tours". Your feedback and comments were extremely helpful and I factored all that as a part of my decision. Yesterday I notified my employer of the last 42 years that I would accept the Voluntary Severance offer. Now I'm waiting to hear if they will accept it.......there are limits on how many can leave per role.........and what my release date will be (Some time between February and June). I've learned an awful lot the last couple weeks about retirement life, income strategy, social security, post work medical coverage etc. I'm very excited about what's ahead. I've always been a long term thinker and planner and it really surprised me that the time was actually here to leave my employer.

A very good friend/coworker who was several years younger than me passed away exactly a year ago right after he finished a bike ride and that played into my decision as well. I know what guidance he'd give me.

I've already started planning a solo cross country bike ride that hopefully I can do starting this summer. I'm not sure of the exact route or time frame but leaning towards something across northern US. Maybe some of you can join up as I meander along from the Pacific Coast to the Atlantic Coast. I figured I'm not getting any younger or fitter so if I didn't go ahead and do it I might not have another opportunity. At least it gives me something to plan for after my work days are over.

More to come!
Old 12-15-15, 10:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a solid plan. Congratulations. Have fun on that ride.
Old 12-15-15, 10:51 AM
choteau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Enjoy retirement and ride the wheels off your bike!
Old 12-15-15, 02:01 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
As one who has made the opposite decision, i.e., to postpone retirement from an encore career I enjoy, I shall be interested in hearing about your adventures.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-15-15, 02:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
that sounds great. I'd like to ride across country. Pretty sure if I retired I'd have a hard time convincing my wife not to retire, and we need the money
Old 12-15-15, 02:38 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations, I hope you are accepted and are able to retire. I lost my sister (3 yrs my junior) during the time when I was trying to decide whether or not to retire. That figure heavily into my retiring at age 60, 7 short years ago. Off to Florida in January to ride in the warm weather for a couple of months. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-15-15, 02:49 PM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good planning, enjoy it.
Old 12-15-15, 07:09 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Already looking forward to your post-retirement BF posts. Congratulations!
Old 12-15-15, 07:18 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you ride through Ohio i would like to ride with you if possisble
Old 12-15-15, 10:08 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
That's totally awesome! Congratulations, (I think. We hope?).

Your inquiries in the other threads have really started me on the preliminary planning stages for my cross-country ride. Unfortunately, it will have to be put off until the spring/summer of 2017 because I won't be retiring until this upcoming August. I'll need the autumn/winter to move and get resettled in my new home, (moving from a high cost-of-living area to a much lower cost-of-living area).
Old 12-16-15, 01:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,232 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
when you ride through Ohio i would like to ride with you if possisble
I'll ride Washington with you (if you choose a northern route). I have experience from Neah Bay to Spokane, nearly 450 mi. Took the 'short-cut' across the center of the state.
Old 12-16-15, 08:33 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Many happy miles!
Old 12-16-15, 08:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
BTW if you take a wrong turn and end up in CT give a shout. There's a dinner in it for you.
Old 12-16-15, 08:58 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Age 62. Chicago area. I've been torn on the retirement issue. I've passed up two lump-sum offers already --and currently plan to just keep working. The job is still reasonably fun and challenging. And I ride to the train at one end of my commute, and walk to the office at the other end. I think I'd actually miss the commute and the intellectual challenge every day.

But... Hmmm...

Keep us advised of your planned route and timeline. I'm always looking for reason to ride somewhere.
Old 12-16-15, 04:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by dbg
Age 62. Chicago area. I've been torn on the retirement issue. I've passed up two lump-sum offers already --and currently plan to just keep working. The job is still reasonably fun and challenging. And I ride to the train at one end of my commute, and walk to the office at the other end. I think I'd actually miss the commute and the intellectual challenge every day.

But... Hmmm...

Keep us advised of your planned route and timeline. I'm always looking for reason to ride somewhere.
Will do!

I too have passed up numerous lump sum offers in the past. This offer not only provides a lump sum it bridges my medical insurance to age 65 which is a nice additional benefit. Plus, I suspect this is going to be the last lump sum offer I will see for a long time. In fact, I already had the mindset there would not be another one until this one was offered. I still enjoy what I do and for the last 7-8 years I have been fortunate to have been involved in businesses that are some of the fastest growing entities around and with some extremely professional and bright people. However I've observed I just don't have the same zeal towards the work that I used to.

I hope to replace the intellectual challenge with some other things that will keep my mind off of the intellectual challenges so we'll see.......So for me this one seems to fit me very well. I continue to tell myself to just look forward and not backwards, and be very excited about the future. Time will tell!
Old 12-16-15, 04:55 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I hope to replace the intellectual challenge with some other things that will keep my mind off of the intellectual challenges so we'll see.......So for me this one seems to fit me very well. I continue to tell myself to just look forward and not backwards, and be very excited about the future. Time will tell!
Here is something you might consider for intellectual stimulus.

One thing I'm really looking forward to doing when I retire next year is to take some classes at a local community college or university. Most colleges give non-degree seeking seniors one wallop of a financial break. Even though the costs of texts are the same, (and very high these days), the tuition is ridiculously low for seniors. There is so much that I want to learn about, and retirement will give me the opportunity to take classes in these subjects. I'm hoping that I can take the classes on an audit basis so that I don't have to be concerned with examinations or earning some specific grade.
Old 12-16-15, 05:34 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
#jppe

Consider a non-profit or similar organization - or make your own - where your talents - whatever they are - may be sorely needed.

I made my own and have organized advocacy groups which involve working directly with state legislators and high officials, suggesting bills which have come to fruition, developing and writing "white papers," analyzing cash flows and areas of bloat, a BLOG read by thousands, and a pretty wide following. In certain areas my name is known throughout the state, and I am highly respected. And, in the process, I am actually making some changes to the system. No sense for the brain to go fallow. Make your own opportunities in critical areas - environment, politics, disability, poverty, bicycling - whatever whets your whistle and in which you have a vested interest.

Last edited by nobodyhere; 12-16-15 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 07:43 PM
78raleigh

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record LTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations & I hope you enjoy your retirement! After dodging a bullet and taking an early retirement incentive (my unit was dissolved 3 months after I left), I've been retired 5 years now. It's been the best time of my life. One of the best things is that I can go out on my bike when I want, where I want, and for how long I want. Or take a nap instead if I want! I'm probably in better shape now than I ever was in my life, and even though it took some adjusting to a lot of aspects of retired life, so far, it's been a great ride. Hope you are as lucky. Good luck!
Old 12-16-15, 07:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The idea of being able to ride whenever the urge is felt and to plan a cross country trip sounds very nice! I'm still working full time while waiting for my stoker to catch up to medicare age but am inching closer to non-working status by recently signing up for (free) Medicare Part A and for SS payments as soon as full retirement age is reach in a couple of months.
Hope you don't hafta wait longer than you want.
Old 12-17-15, 11:33 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I read Bruce Weber's book, "Life Is A Wheel" about a cross country cycle tour. He adopted a leisurely attitude and stopped off to visit friends of family, doing 50 mile days, and had a great time. I just finished a book by two mid 50's women, who also had a great time at a faster pace doing 60 to 90 mile days. The main thing seems to be to adopt the pace and attitude that produces the most satisfaction. You will post here won't you? or on Crazy Guy On A Bike I hope.
Old 12-17-15, 04:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by nobodyhere
#jppe

Consider a non-profit or similar organization - or make your own - where your talents - whatever they are - may be sorely needed.
Great advice. I'm actually already the President of a Non Profit.......while working full time!! My next job might just be to find someone to take my place leading that group!!!
Old 12-17-15, 04:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by berner
I read Bruce Weber's book, "Life Is A Wheel" about a cross country cycle tour. He adopted a leisurely attitude and stopped off to visit friends of family, doing 50 mile days, and had a great time. I just finished a book by two mid 50's women, who also had a great time at a faster pace doing 60 to 90 mile days. The main thing seems to be to adopt the pace and attitude that produces the most satisfaction. You will post here won't you? or on Crazy Guy On A Bike I hope.
I'll certainly put something out on the cloud somewhere! I've done a number of week long supported tours before and I'm pretty comfortable doing 70-80 miles a day, over moderate terrain. As we all know hills and wind can make that vary considerably. All of that is just a part of the details to work out as I refine my XC trip.
Old 12-17-15, 04:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I'll ride Washington with you (if you choose a northern route). I have experience from Neah Bay to Spokane, nearly 450 mi. Took the 'short-cut' across the center of the state.
I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm not sure at this point if I'll start in Washington or Oregon but I suspect it will be one of those two states. Just depends on the route.
Old 12-17-15, 04:47 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
If you're in the area at the time, let's go!

Cycle America / Pedal the Peaks - Bicycle Tours and Events

Old 12-17-15, 08:58 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm happy for you. You have earned the passage, plan the ride and have an adventure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.