Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Crank Brothers "Double Shot" clipless/platform pedal

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 03:58 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I haven't even seen a real review of them but it looks like they'd be a good option on my winter bike. Too bad I've kinda sorta standardized on SPD.

Old 12-08-15, 04:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They had one with 4 spring bars for years, so either side was fine if the shoe was spongy soled , or the Spud cleat type..

same 2 bolt pattern on the shoe..
Old 12-08-15, 04:40 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Those are really interesting. I have CB pedals on all my bikes but every once in a while I want platform pedals but not badly enough to actually swap them on.

It looks like there's an awful lot of empty space around the spindle on the platform side. I'm pretty sure I could manage to get the tip of my shoe stuck in there at just the wrong time.
Old 12-08-15, 07:12 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i thought one of the major selling points of eggbeaters was their multiple (four count 'em four) entry points. this one has no more or less than any other 'clip-on-one-side-platform-on-the-other-side' designs. wondering how their spinning this?

...i suppose i could be missing something. wouldn't be the first time.

edit: i took a look at their website. they didn't even mention the loss of three out of four entry points in the ad copy. not a peep, like it didn't happen. guess they thought they were losing marketshare to pedal makers that were catering to the half clip-in half platform crowd and felt obligated to come up with a dual purpose pedal of their own.

BTW, i'm a great fan of eggbeaters. i use them on all my bikes and my eyes don't wander to other brands either.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-09-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 07:36 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
it thought one of the major selling points of eggbeaters was their multiple (four count 'em four) entry points. this one has no more or less than any other 'clip-on-one-side-platform-on-the-other-side' designs. wondering how their spinning this?

...i suppose i could be missing something. wouldn't be the first time.

edit: i took a look at their website. they didn't even mention the loss of three out of four entry points in the ad copy. not a peep, like it didn't happen. guess they thought they were losing marketshare to pedal makers that were catering to the half clip-in half platform crowd and felt obligated to come up with a dual purpose pedal of their own.

BTW, i'm a great fan of eggbeaters. i use them on all my bikes and my eyes don't wander to other brands either.
They already have their candies and their mallets which only have two entry points. It looks like you could remove 4 screws from these pedals and have half an egg beater... or 1/4 of one.
Old 12-08-15, 11:43 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Crank Brothers make nice stuff. Lots of my friends ride their pedals. I could never get used to them. Like stepping on a tiny wet train track - my cleats would just shoot off to the side instead of clipping in. I never miss a clip with my SPDs. So CB pedals are right out for me.
Old 12-09-15, 09:17 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
meh, if you've standardized SPD across all your shoes and bikes, no point in having to use different shoes just for these. Just use Shimano M324's if you need a nice SPD/platform combo pedal.

On the other hand, if you've standardized CB pedals on a number of other road bikes and MTB's and such, then those might be useful for a commuter/utility bike.
Old 12-09-15, 10:28 AM
tjspiel

I already have some A320s from shimano and they're fine. Neither those or the M324s have a pinned platform which is what I'd want in the winter. The "Double Shot" has nubs more than real pins so I'm not sure they'd be that grippy either.

I posted it more out of public service than as something I was entertaining getting myself. It's another option for those who want to go clipless at least part of the time but still have the option of using regular shoes.
Old 12-15-15, 08:13 PM
youthcom

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talk about timing. Mallet 2's are my commuter clipless pedals & this happened to me last Friday on a 3 year old pair. Luckily I didn't fall just swerved a bit & there was no traffic immediately next to me. I got these hoping they would work well with non clip shoes, but the clip springs still stick out enough to make riding that way uncomfortable. To Crank Brothers credit they gave me a prepaid return label & have shipped out a replacement pair. I thought at 3 years my Mallets would be out of warranty. Really after this I'm tempted to sell them & go with something & maybe try Shimano, but I do like CB's clip system.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crankbros_mallet_break.jpg (105.5 KB, 251 views)
Old 12-15-15, 08:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by youthcom
Talk about timing. Mallet 2's are my commuter clipless pedals & this happened to me last Friday on a 3 year old pair. Luckily I didn't fall just swerved a bit & there was no traffic immediately next to me. I got these hoping they would work well with non clip shoes, but the clip springs still stick out enough to make riding that way uncomfortable. To Crank Brothers credit they gave me a prepaid return label & have shipped out a replacement pair. I thought at 3 years my Mallets would be out of warranty. Really after this I'm tempted to sell them & go with something & maybe try Shimano, but I do like CB's clip system.
Eeek! I have heard stories of CB pedals breaking in drastic ways like that (usually involving hitting a rock), but I've never actually seen it. My worst failures were: (1) a pedal seized and the outer half unthreaded from the inner half while I was riding, and (2) the outer bearing fell apart enough that the whole pedal body slid off the spindle mid-ride.

I have a friend who offers to give me a set of SPDs every time I tell him I'm rebuilding a pair of my CB pedals. I've told him when he offers me seven pairs so I can switch over all my bikes I might take him up on it.
Old 12-15-15, 11:40 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
meh, if you've standardized SPD across all your shoes and bikes, no point in having to use different shoes just for these. Just use Shimano M324's if you need a nice SPD/platform combo pedal.

I use those for my summer pedals and really like them. I put on Ergon PS2 platform pedals for the winter as I always wear my LL Bean Maine hunting shoes in wet weather, and they go together like peas and carrots.
Old 02-14-16, 12:23 AM
youthcom

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone here used these pedals yet? Thoughts?
Old 02-15-16, 11:21 AM
Brentone

Bikes: Stijl Ti Uber Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just received a set of the Double Shots direct from Crank Bros. I have used and liked their pedals for some time and wanted a platform/clipless for my commuter. Haven't ridden them yet but will update when I do (snow/sleet/rain supposed to be gone by the weekend!) to give some feedback. The quality is what I'd expect from CB and look forward to using them.
Old 02-15-16, 04:36 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Those are really interesting. I have CB pedals on all my bikes but every once in a while I want platform pedals but not badly enough to actually swap them on. It looks like there's an awful lot of empty space around the spindle on the platform side. I'm pretty sure I could manage to get the tip of my shoe stuck in there at just the wrong time.
Whether these 1 side clipless, one side flats pedals are useless or horrible and pointless has been a matter of quite some debate before. :-)

People who like them like being able to switch, and don't seem to find the drawbacks a problem.

People like me think they're the worst of all worlds:
- You lose the ability to clip in without looking down - on at least 1 side of the pedal, maybe both
- You have to reach down and flip the pedal with your foot to get it back on - on at least one side of the pedal, maybe both
- In the middle of an intersection is one of the most important time to have my head up and looking at traffic, and with these I'd have my head down staring at my pedals, trying to flip one with my foot. It seemed unsafe.
- Your seat is never at the right height for at least one side of the pedal. If it's right for clipless it's going to be wrong on the flat side.

So I really don't like them. Opinions do vary though. :-)
Old 02-16-16, 08:27 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Whether these 1 side clipless, one side flats pedals are useless or horrible and pointless has been a matter of quite some debate before. :-)

People who like them like being able to switch, and don't seem to find the drawbacks a problem.

People like me think they're the worst of all worlds:
- You lose the ability to clip in without looking down - on at least 1 side of the pedal, maybe both
- You have to reach down and flip the pedal with your foot to get it back on - on at least one side of the pedal, maybe both
- In the middle of an intersection is one of the most important time to have my head up and looking at traffic, and with these I'd have my head down staring at my pedals, trying to flip one with my foot. It seemed unsafe.
- Your seat is never at the right height for at least one side of the pedal. If it's right for clipless it's going to be wrong on the flat side.

So I really don't like them. Opinions do vary though. :-)
I use them, and I never have to look down to clip in from a stop. Their weight makes them naturally turn to the clip side facing up. Difference in stack height is minimal, to the point where it doesn't even matter.

So your drawback points aren't really drawbacks at all.
Old 02-16-16, 10:17 AM
PaulRivers

I use them, and I never have to look down to clip in from a stop. Their weight makes them naturally turn to the clip side facing up.
That's why I specifically phrased it as "on at least 1 side of the pedal, maybe both".

What you wrote is basically that you're only using as a clipless-only pedal. Which means that you aren't using it any differently than if clipless only.

Difference in stack height is minimal, to the point where it doesn't even matter.
Biking shoes are nearly flat, and the clip is recessed into the shoe. Normal shoes have some sort of cushioning on the bottom between the shoe and the ground, and do not have a recessed cleat. If you don't notice the difference in 1/2-1 inch of height difference, then you'd probably be fine riding flats everywhere and not notice any difference either.

So your drawback points aren't really drawbacks at all.
Only if you use the pedal as clipless-only and never use the flat side.
Old 02-16-16, 01:03 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I find that I can get on the appropriate side of the pedal automatically in the same way I use the appropriate lever for shifting. It's just a matter of knowing how to do it, and having it become second nature.
Old 02-16-16, 01:05 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
For winter riding, I like bmx style pedals and winter boots.
Old 02-16-16, 01:58 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by kickstart
I find that I can get on the appropriate side of the pedal automatically in the same way I use the appropriate lever for shifting. It's just a matter of knowing how to do it, and having it become second nature.
+1

With the the pedals I have the clipless side faces towards the back of the pedal and the platform side is towards the front. It's not that the clipless side is either up or down. Knowing that it's pretty easy to get the pedal in the position I want it without looking. If I do happen to get the wrong side it's not a big deal to wait until I'm through an intersection to flip.

The shimano road pedals I have hang almost the exact same way so clipping in works the same way on both.

It took awhile for the pedals to break in before they would hang this way at rest consistently.

As far the difference in stack height goes, there is probably more difference between the thickness of the soles of various shoes and sandals I wear than there is between the platform and clipless side of the pedal.

Last edited by tjspiel; 02-16-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 03:16 PM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
That's why I specifically phrased it as "on at least 1 side of the pedal, maybe both".

What you wrote is basically that you're only using as a clipless-only pedal. Which means that you aren't using it any differently than if clipless only.

Biking shoes are nearly flat, and the clip is recessed into the shoe. Normal shoes have some sort of cushioning on the bottom between the shoe and the ground, and do not have a recessed cleat. If you don't notice the difference in 1/2-1 inch of height difference, then you'd probably be fine riding flats everywhere and not notice any difference either.

Only if you use the pedal as clipless-only and never use the flat side.
I use both sides of my pedals - the platform side I use to run errands during lunch at work or for casual rides around the neighborhood. My work shoes are minimalist zero-drop shoes with a far thinner sole than any bike shoe. And yet I still don't notice much difference in stack height.

The pedal position favors the clip side, which I do use more, yes. But it's just a matter of how I bring the shoe up to the pedal (push forward from behind to clip in, bring shoe over, down and back for platform side). If I don't find the platform side first try, I just pedal a few strokes with my regular shoe on the clip side, then flip it after I get going. As kickstart said, it's second nature really, and I rarely ever have to look down.

*edit* I use the same A530's shown by tjspiel above, and mine hang the exact same way.
Old 02-16-16, 04:12 PM
tjspiel

I use both sides of my pedals - the platform side I use to run errands during lunch at work or for casual rides around the neighborhood. My work shoes are minimalist zero-drop shoes with a far thinner sole than any bike shoe. And yet I still don't notice much difference in stack height.

The pedal position favors the clip side, which I do use more, yes. But it's just a matter of how I bring the shoe up to the pedal (push forward from behind to clip in, bring shoe over, down and back for platform side). If I don't find the platform side first try, I just pedal a few strokes with my regular shoe on the clip side, then flip it after I get going. As kickstart said, it's second nature really, and I rarely ever have to look down.

*edit* I use the same A530's shown by tjspiel above, and mine hang the exact same way.
Yeah, I agree that the clipless side is slightly favored. On the fixed gear where I can't stop pedaling I tend to miss the platform side more often than on a geared bike, but again it's not a big problem.
Old 02-17-16, 06:06 PM
PaulRivers

Lol well I wrote this:
Your experience is different than mine, and I have owned the same style (though not the exact same model) of pedal. I'm not saying one of us is "right", just that it's different than my experience. I did have my shoes slip off the pedal when I got it wrong, didn't like having to flip the pedal (even if the clipless side stayed up wouldn't like flipping the flat side), etc.

For me it's just that when I'm biking leisurely enough to be able to do that stuff, I'd feel like there's no point in having a clipless side with the very small difference between clipless and good flat pedals. That's actually what I did. This year I took off my time atac's (which are nice pedals for clipless) and went with Chrome Kursk shoes (flat bottomed ones) and flat Specialized Bennie pedals so I'm not using any clipless. It's more comfortable (no hot spots when riding), easier to jump on and off the bike and walk in and out of places, and I "feel" a little slower but then I look down at my speedometer and there's no difference. The real advantage of clipless is staying attached while spinning at high cadence, and situations where I need that I need to clip in and out asap.

My feeling is like if I was biking at a leisurely enough pace to be able to ride through an intersection without being clipped in, etc, wouldn't it make more sense to just get good flat pedals?
Old 06-17-16, 04:21 AM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
CrankBrothers “Double Shot”.Don’t bother.This is a welcome idea in CrankBrothers’ lineup but utterly FAILS in execution. Like offerings in other companies’ clipless lineup, it has a platform side and a clipless side, good idea so far.Thing is, the platform side only has eight short bosses to contact the ball of the shoe.This problem is compounded in that the cut-out area that accommodates the clipless cleat encompasses four of the bosses, only leaving four short bosses to contact the shoe.In addition, the glassy paint over the bosses makes them slick when dry to say nothing of wet muddy conditions…you know real life cycling.On the half egg-beater clipless side, the usual “two-dots” rules apply regarding detach angle. [If you’re a CrankBrothers user, you know all about “two-dots”.]The problem is the huge force you need to detach…big risk of doing the “Artie Johnson”. All my other CrankBrothers pedals are easy to de-clip.These pedals are a disappointment.

Old 06-17-16, 09:24 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I use them on my utility bike. Nice summer option. Originally I got them for winter, but found that the platform side was kind of slick. So in winter now I just swap to a toothy platform.

But for summer, these are great pedals. Quick run to the corner store in casual shoes? Easy. Longer errands on clipless? Yes, please.
Old 06-17-16, 11:18 AM
Yan 

Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I never got the point of these platform clipless pedals. Just get some touring type bike shoes and you can wear them all day like sneakers. Back when I was in school there were a couple of years when my Shimano shoes where the only shoes I wore most days, even on days when I didn't bike.

Let's frame this another way: you're at home and you want to jump on your bike to run an errand. You walk your bike to your door and look at your shoes. You see you bike shoes and street shoes next to each other. What reason could possibly compel you to choose the street shoes over the bike shoes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.