Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 10:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
First time riding in for a long time today.

Yesterday, I rode about two or three miles on Citi Bike before getting on the subway to work. A little riding is better than none at all. I decided not to ride the whole way because the edge of Tropical Storm Hermine is whipping through, creating tremendous winds from the north, so I avoided them. Today doesn't seem better, but I braved the immense winds. We dodged a disaster this year. In 2012, Hurricane Sandy did some impressive damage to this area, and it rattled a lot of nerves. Life will never be the same. We got a scare about half as big as 9/11, but the enemy is internal as well as external. Hermine is mighty, too; I can feel it. It just happened to swing out to the east so as not to do any harm, but another one will come before long, and I wonder if we're ready.

It took a lot of effort to ride today, but it was also delightful. I've come to be aware that I make a lot of heat with my legs, feet, and ankles, and they were bare today. I wore sandals, so that helped me pedal hard without fatigue. I'll try to remember this as the weather turns colder. The temperature was in the 70s (ºF), so not too hot, but very humid. I still sweated a lot from the increased effort required to fight these winds.

My route today

Here is my view of the river halfway along, with the marina in the foreground. A cyclist ahead on the right stretches against a bench. In the distance, you see the George Washington Bridge which spans the Hudson River between New Jersey and New York City.

A couple of interesting sounds:

1. Sometimes the wind swirls around the buildings and cliffs of Manhattan and I get an occasional tail wind. When it happened today, it was strong, and I was able to move quite fast. Moving fast and with oncoming bike traffic, someone moving towards me was passing someone moving in the same direction as he was. He rang his bell three times. The big speed difference between his bike and mine gave me a pronounced dopler shift on the pitch of his bell.

2. There are portions of my route which are right next to the West Side Highway and the Henry Hudson Parkway, where cars go fast. It makes for a loud sound with the car noises bouncing off the cliffs, barriers, and buildings. Still, there are some trees in patches, and the sound of cicadas -- a sound I love -- was still able to pierce over the very loud highway noises.

An interesting smell:

A middle aged man who appeared to be out for his pre-workday fitness ride passed me on his Pinarello racing bike. I won't make the gauche mistake of drafting anyone, but I tried to hang behind him so I could follow his pace. I had to let him go quickly. He had a gigantic cloud of body odor trailing him. I had to stay way back. I really hope I don't smell like that when I come into the office. I suspect I don't, and I change clothes and wash up after I arrive anyway.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-07-16, 11:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'm probably off bikes until November, awaiting a surgery and then six weeks recovery
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-07-16, 12:14 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Man I haven't posted in here in awhile. This past month has been a whirlwind of car problems from both my wife's old car, and my old car, and buying a new car for wifey. Add in some sickness and other things and I've just been commuting sort of off and on. My car was out for several days while I awaited a warranty replacement for a new distributor (those old things cars used to have lol). I rode to work one day, then tried to ride the next day but was too exhausted. Got a ride from wifey in new car but that meant 2 extra 25-mile round trips that day in addition to her stuff.

Monday I did a 40 mile Labor Day club ride, and tried too hard at keeping up with others. In the past I've rode to and from the ride, which usually ends up being over 60 miles, but I didn't have the time this year, and I'm glad because I was beat down after that 40 miles. I also ran out of my beta-blocker heart meds, which made for an elevated heart rate all Monday evening into Tuesday morning until I got to my last pill at the office, and then picked up my prescription yesterday afternoon. All is good now.

Rode to work this morning (instead of the usual Tu/Th commute this week). I suspect I will try to split commute tomorrow and Friday, leaving the car at work Thursday night. Nothing really to report this morning, just humid as all heck.

I also made a couple of videos. This one is from my commute on Monday, 22 August, where I had to leave the house at 5 AM to be at work and be ready for a 7 AM staff meeting. On the way home coming out of a side street, I had to wait 3 solid minutes to turn left, until SIXTY cars had passed my location. It was super annoying.

And then this one from last Thursday where I had the same van pass me at the same time of day, at the exact same location on the same hill, with oncoming traffic right in front of them, just like they did several months ago.

Fun times.
Old 09-07-16, 12:34 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm probably off bikes until November, awaiting a surgery and then six weeks recovery
Bummer. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 09-07-16, 01:04 PM
vp1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
The morning was a bit chilly, but I've still sweated gallons. Riding home was sunny and hot, so yeah... Living with a mild hyperhidrosis is tons of fun. But at least no knobhead drivers today.
Old 09-07-16, 05:35 PM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
We are moving Thursday and today is my last day at work! I have worked here for 7 of the last 9 years and it will be a big shift, for both me and the company. I will likely do some contract work for them when it is needed and if it fits in my schedule.

We are moving to Nanaimo which is across the water to Vancouver Island which is a great smaller and laid back and relaxed place.
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Last week I also had the pleasure to meet up with @timvan_78 and @HydroG33r at a place where paths are easiest crossed. It was great to meet them and get to know them and made us wonder why did we wait so long. I had met @HydroG33r a few times for part drops and he visited me once in the hospital, but that visit was just before my meds were really squared away and I was super out of it. So it was nice to get to know them in a a normal state.
Hope the move went well... it was great to meet up with you and @timvan_78!
Old 09-08-16, 05:07 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
It was very foggy this morning due which caused be to be even more cautious than I normal. Other than that it was a good ride.
Old 09-08-16, 06:28 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wet! Don't mind it one bit though.. It did sting on the downhill run though!
Old 09-08-16, 06:34 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Very warm and humid this morning but it felt nice compared to what it will be this afternoon. Summer is not leaving easily this year, and high temperatures are supposed to reach the mid-90s for the rest of the week. Fortunately the sun is not as intense as in early to mid-summer, so the afternoon commutes do not feel as bad.

I'm going on another bike tour this weekend, a mini-tour along the Virginia Capital Trail from Richmond to Jamestown and back. That should be fun and we won't have to carry a lot of gear.
Old 09-08-16, 06:34 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Storms overnight again but had just moved past by the time I headed out. Wet roads with puddles but the fenders handle it pretty well keeping me dry. Normally I ride once a week on my touring bike with loaded panniers with spare food and clothes for several days. This week I've loaded them three times. Hopefully tomorrow I can take my regular lighter weight commuter.
Old 09-08-16, 06:57 AM
youthcom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ran over a rabbit this morning on a dark wet Chicago side street next to a forest preserve during very light sprinkling rain. I didn't notice it, just felt my front wheel go over something. Went to pick it up the limp body off the middle of the road & laid it down on top of the curb. I hope that was a sign it didn't suffer especially since I like cute furry critters. I see roadkill all the time on my commute, but never thought i would be the cause of one.
Old 09-08-16, 07:03 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hot and muggy, 73F with humidity around 80%. The headwind of 10mph made it bearable though. In faact, the breeze reminded me of the beach.
Old 09-08-16, 07:05 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
@PatrickGSR94 - Interesting to watch your commute. You interact with traffic a lot more than I do. I'm on similar roads as you. I ride more to the right, just inches off the white line. I don't tell traffic when to stay back or when to pass as I feel they can make that decision and I'd rather keep my hands on the handlebars anyway. I would consider pulling off to let traffic pass, but I have yet to have enough of a backup to feel the need. Just different styles of riding - thanks for sharing!
Old 09-08-16, 07:07 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I left a few minutes later than I like this morning, but made up the time and got to work fine.

In our office parking lot there were 3 motorcycles parked side by side. I was wishing I had a kick-stand so I could park right beside them. It would look pretty funny.
Old 09-08-16, 07:26 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Sorry to hear it but at least you have something to look forward to! Today was my first ride after cracking a rib. I drove yesterday, first time in many months, and it was a good reminder why I ride!
Old 09-08-16, 08:40 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rode to work in the rain, light rain, this morning. Most of the rainy sound I was hearing this morning was from the breeze blowing the leaves of the maple tree just outside my bedroom window and dislodged water falling on other leaves so it sounded worse than it really was.

It was about 16C/60F when I rode it. Just in case, I wore a lightweight merino long sleeved shirt under my raincoat in case I felt chilled along the way and I was fine.

I thought the rain was over by 7:30 but it has started again and I have to ride downtown (10min) and back at lunch time for a promotional event for the Bike for United Way that a bunch of us are riding in next week so now that I'm warm and dry, I'm going to get wet again. The worst of it is wet shoes: paper towels don't dry them out enough.

I rode in the rain today, partly because the charity ride next week might be, at least in part, in the rain so I need to get used to it again.

Have a great day!
Old 09-08-16, 02:30 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Think it got up in the low 90's this afternoon but the around 1100 on my ride in it seemed very nice.
Old 09-08-16, 06:18 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Rode 2 miles to drop my daughter near her middle school, then continued on 12+ more to a meeting. Got there w/ time to cool down and change. Usually don't ride to offsite work meetings, was nice to have a chance.
Old 09-08-16, 06:51 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My commutes since my last post have been great. The weather is working with me.
Old 09-08-16, 07:16 PM
Atvar
Shimano's Shaman

Bikes: TFCT Starion Class Hull n. 312 "Thunder Child" - Sport Touring & Utility

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
First commute with my new high volume panniers on [actually, they're not really bike panniers, they're two adapted 40 liters (10.5 gallons) trekking backpacks].

I'm quite satisfied, since I moved to my workplace an amount of stuff that would have otherwise requested the trunk of a car.

Anyway, the added weight blessed me with the same acceleration capabilities of a freight train...
Old 09-09-16, 05:03 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
75F/23C muggy humid and dark as can be.

I catch an interesting sound occasionally passing the North end of the landing strip at National airport....on approach and landing, the jets will leave a swirling wake of air that sounds like a hissing snake. Once on a humid cloudy morning I even saw a snake of swirling air whipping about in front of me, I thought I was hallucinating.

Originally Posted by noglider
A couple of interesting sounds:

1. Sometimes the wind swirls around the buildings and cliffs of Manhattan and I get an occasional tail wind. When it happened today, it was strong, and I was able to move quite fast. Moving fast and with oncoming bike traffic, someone moving towards me was passing someone moving in the same direction as he was. He rang his bell three times. The big speed difference between his bike and mine gave me a pronounced dopler shift on the pitch of his bell.

2. There are portions of my route which are right next to the West Side Highway and the Henry Hudson Parkway, where cars go fast. It makes for a loud sound with the car noises bouncing off the cliffs, barriers, and buildings. Still, there are some trees in patches, and the sound of cicadas -- a sound I love -- was still able to pierce over the very loud highway noises.
Old 09-09-16, 06:02 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rained stopped halfway and the wind the same. Not bad overall. Seriously pondering getting a speedo just for mornings like this.. lol!
Old 09-09-16, 06:12 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Raining when I woke up, slowed to a drizzle by the time I walked the dogs. A little mist left over when I left on the bike. Nice ride. Well worth the effort.
Old 09-09-16, 07:49 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Cool morning ride. Wore a jacket and left the sandals at home. Focused on enjoying the ride and sunrise. Should be a very pleasant 75 for the ride home.
Old 09-09-16, 08:05 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Pouring rain, thunder, lightning, the works.

Still, it was better riding in to the office than it would have been trapped in a car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.