Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Strange things found on your commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Strange things found on your commute

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 08:23 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
An Eagle trying to carry off a Rabbit he had already killed. The area is heavily populated and it was last Thanksgiving which made it seem weird.

And a completely uneaten Oreo. No bugs either.
Old 09-14-16, 08:37 AM
sjspor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a fun thread.

So, the oddest sight I have seen (close to found) is a guy collecting bottles and cans, riding on a garden tractor with a trailer.

I have also found a dealers license plate for a car, which in New York carries full insurance. It wasn't odd that I found it, but i took it to DMV, told the women I found this, and she said it would cost me $1 to turn it in. (it costs $1 dollar to surrender a plate in NY). But it's not mine... It's still a dollar. I'm not paying that and turn to leave. Her reply, I'll have to call the police if you leave with that since it not yours. (Head now spins). SO... I stop my the local police station where i live, go to the window and say "I found this"... the replay, you'll have to take that to DMV. It's still hanging in my garage.

And the third oddest event... not on a commute, but on a bike... Riding out in Penn Yan, grinding up this pretty good hill and I hear a faint clip clop clip clop... that is getting louder. I hear a voice.. How are you today? Yup.. I got passed by an Amish horse and buggy.
Likes For sjspor:
Old 09-14-16, 11:07 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Hey, I found an out of State License Plate, and I thought I kept it. Now I can't remember what I did with it. Early in the summer. And I can't remember the state. Somewhere in the midwest, nowhere near close by.
Old 09-15-16, 09:05 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Today I found a Harley-Davidson Left Side Saddlebag Guide Bag (or maybe touring), two seams completely separated. Also what I believe is a plastic stiffening insert, which I left on the road. The bag itself could potentially be jimmied onto my rack, and be a cool tiny pannier, if I can get the seams sewn back together (tailor? shoe repair?). But I'll probably never get around to it and it will sit in my garage forever.
Old 09-15-16, 11:26 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Today I found a Harley-Davidson Left Side Saddlebag Guide Bag (or maybe touring), two seams completely separated. Also what I believe is a plastic stiffening insert, which I left on the road. The bag itself could potentially be jimmied onto my rack, and be a cool tiny pannier, if I can get the seams sewn back together (tailor? shoe repair?). But I'll probably never get around to it and it will sit in my garage forever.
That would be cooler without the advertising on it.
Old 09-15-16, 01:30 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I think the HD logo is the coolest part of it. BUT, the whole velcro-closure flap with the logo is one of the seams that is sheared apart, and without that fold-over flap, there's still a quite useful zipper closure, and only one side seam to close to make it initially useful.
Old 09-16-16, 11:54 AM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a pair of husky brand channel locks (or water pump pliers)
Old 09-16-16, 12:21 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by halcyon100
The best thing I saw was not while biking, but it comes close - I was hiking and came across a naked guy painted from head to toe in gold paint (including his hair, pubic hair, etc.) and he was clearly high on a drug like acid or mushrooms and smiling serenely. It was a long hike and I was behind him for awhile...
Maybe a big fan of the James Bond Goldfinger movie?
Old 09-29-16, 01:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yesterday I found probably about 30 thin copper rods, like not quite 1/8" thick, and about 18 inches long, scattered all over the bike lane and some in the road. About half of them were straight-ish, and half were mangled by being run over by cars. Pretty easy to bend.

I'm not sure if they're real copper, or like just copper solder or something. But if it was solder, wouldn't it have been on a spool instead of rods?
Old 09-29-16, 04:02 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I found probably about 30 thin copper rods, like not quite 1/8" thick, and about 18 inches long, scattered all over the bike lane and some in the road. About half of them were straight-ish, and half were mangled by being run over by cars. Pretty easy to bend.

I'm not sure if they're real copper, or like just copper solder or something. But if it was solder, wouldn't it have been on a spool instead of rods?
Scavenged wire maybe?
Old 09-29-16, 08:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Last week, several live rats. Today, two dead mice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-29-16, 08:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

Sounds like arc welding rods except that they're copper
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-30-16, 08:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

googled some pics of arc welding rods, those look like 4th of july sparklers, a metal core and some coating on 95% of it. These are just straight metal, a couple mm thick. They'd be smooth, I think, except for having been run over by cars. There's a recycling place down the street from my house, I'll take them there and see if they'll give me enough $$ for a burrito.
Old 09-30-16, 11:49 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
googled some pics of arc welding rods, those look like 4th of july sparklers, a metal core and some coating on 95% of it. These are just straight metal, a couple mm thick. They'd be smooth, I think, except for having been run over by cars. There's a recycling place down the street from my house, I'll take them there and see if they'll give me enough $$ for a burrito.
Now that sounds like a solid plan.
Old 09-30-16, 11:55 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Maybe they can tell you what the rods were too.
Old 09-30-16, 12:30 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

well if they're not solid copper, they're probably not worth a whole burrito. Maybe I can get a nickel and see if the taco shack will sell me just one bite?
Old 10-01-16, 10:05 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Found a softball. Actually had a nice time playing catch with my son this morning with it.
Old 10-01-16, 11:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I predict somewhere closer to a Taco Bell bean burrito than a Chipotle
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-03-16, 08:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

haha. Someday when I make the time, I'll let you know...
Old 10-03-16, 05:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
How about a left crank arm, pedal, and retaining nut along the bike path.

LeftCrankArm.jpg

I've lost (and found) things like pants velcro. However, one would think a rider would notice if he lost his crank, especially as single sided pedalling without foot retention would be tough.
Old 10-03-16, 05:25 PM
youthcom

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found this 18mm wrench today. It was a size I didn't have and needed for a new ebike that used 18mm axle nuts purchased this summer. I had already bought a regular length wrench for it but might carry this instead for it's compactness. A bit scratched up at the ends from being ran over, but can't beat free quality tools!

https://store.snapon.com/Ratcheting-...--P642618.aspx
Old 10-03-16, 10:17 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
On the early am ride to elementary school with my two youngest, I noticed a small black bag in the middle of the road. Had the boys wait against the curb and I scooped it up and clipped it to a carabiner on my rear rack. Got still after dropping off the boys and opened up the bag. Inside was a bunch of loose change totaling about $8. Also $36 in bills.
No ID, no clue as to whom it belongs.
Other items in the bag included 4 or 5 pairs of earrings (2 broken ones), a ring, 2 necklaces (1 broken), and a rather cool charm bracelet. Also in the bag was what appeared to be a small portable blow torch for freebasing, shattered, and 2 small baggies with white powder which I am sure was cocaine. Bag had been run over by auto at least once. Threw away the mystery drug, baggies, residue, broken ****. Washed the bag as it is kind of cool. Netted about $45, some random jewelry, and a useful bag.
On the way home this eve, found a single dollar bill.
Not a bad haul, esp. as today is my birthday.

Yesterday I found about 75 feet of very heavy rope in the gutter of a busy road. Too heavy and awkward to deal with as I also had 2 of my boys riding with me. Hid the rope in some bushes near an overpass over a nearby creek. Will pick it up next time I am through that way if it is still there. Will make for a perfect high rope swing in a tree.

Late last week I found two identical hanging cloth calendars of the type used by elementary school teachers with numbers and weather icons to attach via velcro. They were out in the middle of a somewhat busy street but had not yet been run over. I think they must have just flown off someone's car roof. Probably forgot they were up there. Kept one of the calendars as I have two kids in elementary school, one in kinder. Hanging on the wall now. My younger boys love it. Donated the other one to their school.

Early last week I noticed a used but intact pond/aqua garden that someone had hauled out to the side of the road not far from my house. Flew back home to get my pickup truck that is used as little as possible. Complete pond/aqua garden shell, heavy duty liner, pump, filter, and skimmer net. Drove it straight to our elementary school and donated it for pond/aqua garden and wildlife habitat. Very cool find.
Nice two weeks of ground scores while bike commuting for me...

Added:
This past summer, in the morning, I found an iPhone6 in the middle of a busy four lane road near the intersection of Congress Ave, a very busy arterial, here. Amazingly unbroken as it was exactly in the middle of one lane and the phone was unlocked, no password. Kept calling the phone numbers in the Recents list and left several msgs. Within the hour the guy's wife calls me back. I gave her my home address and my phone number. He met me at lunch to pick up his phone and he was very grateful. Turns out, he owns a custom window screen business and his phone was vital to his business. He asked if he could measure our windows. Withing three days he dropped off perfect custom screens for our house. Very cool.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 10-03-16 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added:
Old 10-04-16, 07:46 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Also, just yesterday, the wife found a woman's wallet while commuting downtown for a meeting. It contained her driver's license, bank card, multiple credit cards, health insurance card, all of her important info. She called her and told her she found it. The lady met my wife at our house at lunch. Very grateful to have it returned.
Again, crazy week for ground scores while riding !
Old 10-04-16, 09:46 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
About Two Months Ago...

...on a slightly different route home to meet my wife to ride the rest of the way, I passed by a very large, anatomically accurate plastic or rubber representation of an, male, um, sex toy thing. It was laying on a storm drain curb area. The color was a flesh tone, and it was very large.

Did I mention that it was anatomically correct (to the best of my limited medical knowledge), and very large?

All I could say as I passed was "eeewwww"...[shudders]

There, I said it.
Old 10-04-16, 11:59 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by AusTexMurf
Also, just yesterday, the wife found a woman's wallet while commuting downtown for a meeting. It contained her driver's license, bank card, multiple credit cards, health insurance card, all of her important info. She called her and told her she found it. The lady met my wife at our house at lunch. Very grateful to have it returned.
Again, crazy week for ground scores while riding !
You're going to need a trailer to haul all these finds if you keep this up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.