Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Salsa La Cruz 1.1: OMM Rack and VO Fenders!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 05:00 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Fred Factor just went up a notch.

The rack is an Old Man Mountain Sherpa. It installs with p-clamps where the brake bosses should be and a quick release skewer. A QR-attached rack definitely has drawbacks, but strength and stability aren't among them.

The aluminum fenders are Velo Orange 45mm Smooth. (Thanks to forum member d2create for a great deal on a set he couldn't use!) I used rubber washers everywhere metal touches metal, and (so far - one ride today) they're completely silent.

The front wheel fender was a breeze. Just dremel off the extra inch or so of the fender stays to fit.

The rear wheel was a study in millimeter adjustments and was a ***** to get just right. The little clamps that attach the fender stay to the dropout had to be installed at a funny angle to clear the rack mount for the QR skewer. The fenders stays had to be bent downward (at exactly the same angles of course) to fit and the ends cut off precisely flush with the bottom of the clamp.

I'm not completely happy with the fender line on the rear wheel; the stays could be pulled through a few millimeters and pull the back of the fender down toward the tire a tiny bit. But it's a lot of work for that tiny adjustment, and I think I'm convinced to leave well enough alone for the moment.

A rack and fenders are considered by many here to be "jacks to open" for a commuter bike. The rack I completely agree with. The fenders are another story... It was 101 degrees when I was finishing this up this afternoon, and it hasn't rained in 2 months. I kept trying to think of installing fenders on a Texas July day as a sort of cyclist's rain dance.

This completes the mods for Salsa La Cruz 1.1. The major feature in the next release is a dynamo hub front wheel build and LED headlight and taillight. Suggestions are welcome for further modifications and accessories.
Old 07-21-08, 05:04 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should also say that the VO Fenders are constructed beautifully, very adaptable (aluminum bends!), easy to install and gorgeous. What more could you want?
Old 07-21-08, 05:15 PM
gparvan
Seahurst Spinners Club

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks nice! How long have you been commuting on the Salsa? I'm considering such a bike to commute with here in Seattle.
Old 07-21-08, 05:19 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gparvan
Looks nice! How long have you been commuting on the Salsa? I'm considering such a bike to commute with here in Seattle.
Since May. (I switched from my old hardtail MTB/hybrid.) Seattle is pretty hilly, so you might consider the Salsa Casseroll triple. I don't have enough hills here to know when I wouldn't have enough gears with the compact double.

Of course, you could also buy the La Cruz frame only and build it up. I think the frame by itself goes for something like 550, which seems like a great deal to me. (True Temper OX Platinum)

I'm totally sold on the cyclocross-as-commuter approach, especially if your roads suck (or you like the occasional trail/singletrack) and you like to ride hard. I've never had a more comfortable bike. I'm going to test that with some long overnight/camping rides and credit card touring in the Fall.
Old 07-21-08, 05:24 PM
gparvan
Seahurst Spinners Club

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, test rode the Casseroll last weekend. I'll probably get it, but your bike looks like a qualified alternative to the Casseroll.
Old 07-21-08, 05:30 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice ride. I just ordered a red schwinn world dbx commuter that has avid bb7 discs and fenders. Its been pretty dry (a little bit of an excuse of a shower yesterday) and in the upper 90's all summer. But I'm keeping the fenders on.
Old 07-21-08, 05:51 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, test rode the Casseroll last weekend. I'll probably get it, but your bike looks like a qualified alternative to the Casseroll.
It's probably a good thing the LBS didn't have a 'roll in my size or I would have had lots of trouble deciding. I'm way happy with my choice, but I think I would have felt the same way with the 'roll. Disc brakes made the decision for me (that and the amazing orange paint). But the flip side of that is, the Casseroll would take a rack and fenders more easily (though I think there's a touch less rear wheel/fender clearance than the La Cruz).

Of course you'll post pics once you make your decision.
Old 07-21-08, 05:52 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JR97
nice ride. I just ordered a red schwinn world dbx commuter that has avid bb7 discs and fenders. Its been pretty dry (a little bit of an excuse of a shower yesterday) and in the upper 90's all summer. But I'm keeping the fenders on.
Pics please.

Have you found a rack that will work with the disc frame? Or maybe schwinn did something smart to make it easier?
Old 07-21-08, 07:22 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn added rack brazons above the discs. I"m pretty stoked about getting it. Performance Bike dropped the price and then I used a 10% off coupon code I found here on BF. Shipped is about $765. (pics are clickable)
Attached Images
File Type: gif
tp_05 Jul. 21.gif (86.9 KB, 44 views)
tp_06 Jul. 21.gif (75.6 KB, 67 views)
tp_07 Jul. 21.gif (89.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-21-08, 07:49 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^

That's a great looking bike. Good news about the rack allowance. Schwinn has some really nice stuff the last couple of years. I didn't even know about the model you're getting. Lovely.
Old 07-21-08, 09:01 PM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a great looking bike.
Old 07-21-08, 10:23 PM
BoiseShwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Salsa! I almost got one of those before the LHT.
Old 07-21-08, 10:54 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
^^

That's a great looking bike. Good news about the rack allowance. Schwinn has some really nice stuff the last couple of years. I didn't even know about the model you're getting. Lovely.
thanks. I've been planning a cross/commuter build for over a year. But when I saw the Schwinn with everything I wanted on it down to the inline break handles and fender clearence, it was an decision. I love yours, though. that orange is great.

As soon as mine arrives I'm doing 3-4 day weekend mini-tour. The destination has some decent off road that should test the bike pretty well.
Old 07-22-08, 06:05 AM
Gary in VA
Make mine lard...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn added rack brazons above the discs. I"m pretty stoked about getting it. Performance Bike dropped the price and then I used a 10% off coupon code I found here on BF. Shipped is about $765. (pics are clickable)
I picked up a DBX a week ago at Performance from that sale. I just got in my Tubus rack and some panniers for it and should start commuting with it next week. I really like how they mounted the rear disk caliper between the seat stay and the chain stay so it's out of the way of the rack mount. One tip that Wayne at the Touring Store gave me when looking at the pic of the bike. He sold me the 26" wheel version of the Tubus Cargo rack because he said that the rack eyelet is a lot higher than normal. I lined it up last night and it looks like it's the right size.
Old 07-22-08, 08:53 AM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the rack. I ordered a Delta Mega Rack which has an adjustable mount. But if it doesn't workout out how I want it's good to know about the 26" wheel option.\
Old 07-22-08, 11:47 AM
sumguy

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Link? can't find it.
Old 07-22-08, 02:03 PM
Ruckin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not quite Seattle...

I commute between maple valley and boeing field and my LaCruz is my nice weather bike.
(see https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...&highlight=#17) for picture

My commute is pretty flat but on the way home the last 3 miles gains about 700 ft of elevation.
A rack for the LaCruz is on the list but I think I need to get a headlight pronto! It was very dark
this morning at 5AM.
Old 07-22-08, 02:25 PM
eAspenwood
likes bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good lookin bike. fender wheel-line adjustments can drive you mad, can't they?

I also have VO fenders and am probably gonna add a second stay on the front end of the front fender to lessen the vibration.
Old 07-22-08, 03:02 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eAspenwood
good lookin bike. fender wheel-line adjustments can drive you mad, can't they?

I also have VO fenders and am probably gonna add a second stay on the front end of the front fender to lessen the vibration.
Ha, yeah. If I hadn't had to bend the rear stays so much, the small adjustments wouldn't be so painful. I won't mention the fact that I almost severed my RD cable with the metal bit on my Dremel. Oh wait, I mentioned it.
Old 07-22-08, 04:17 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sumguy
Link? can't find it.
Looks like performancebike sold out. maybe i got that last one.

Amazon and Wiley bike have them:

https://willybikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=11198
https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-World-.../dp/B00123VCD8
Old 07-23-08, 01:37 AM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, ok_commuter, that's a nice setup.

I've been looking at the OMM rear rack for my Specialized Stumpjumper HT (disc brakes, no V-brake bosses, wishbone seat stay, etc). What additional hardware (if any) did you have to buy to attach the rack?
Old 07-23-08, 10:07 AM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keithm0
Wow, ok_commuter, that's a nice setup.

I've been looking at the OMM rear rack for my Specialized Stumpjumper HT (disc brakes, no V-brake bosses, wishbone seat stay, etc). What additional hardware (if any) did you have to buy to attach the rack?
None. Call or email John at OMM and tell him what type of bike, etc. He did send (and probably sell me) a pair of p-clamps that I didn't need, but they're really nice p-clamps and I'm glad to have them around. Anyway, their disc model will likely fit w/o extra anything.
Old 07-27-08, 10:53 AM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
None. Call or email John at OMM and tell him what type of bike, etc. He did send (and probably sell me) a pair of p-clamps that I didn't need, but they're really nice p-clamps and I'm glad to have them around. Anyway, their disc model will likely fit w/o extra anything.
John at OMM has been incredibly helpful -- he quickly and patiently asked my (endless) series of questions on rack selection, hardware, etc.

I ordered my new rack a few days ago .