Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Personal hygiene....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Personal hygiene....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 08:38 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personal hygiene....

I'm new to commuting and my biggest concern is my personal hygiene after a 15 mile ride to work. I work in an ER (with many women) and I don't want to be offensive for my 12 hr shift Unfortunately I do not have access to our OR's showers (that'd be great) so I can't shower when I get to work. I can work up a sweat shoveling snow in a T-shirt and jeans so, a 15 mile ride usually makes me rather sweaty. What do you guys do? I figured some extra deodorant and maybe some powder but, I'm open for suggestions. On behalf of my co-workers.... Thanks
Old 05-12-10, 08:49 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sucks that you have showers and can't use them.

I had the same question, because I also sweat a lot. After reading lots of suggestions on here, I decided to use unscented baby wipes, deodorant, and some good powder. I've only commuted a few times so far, but it has worked great. I shower before I leave, so I'm clean when I start. I even have a shower at work, but this seems to work out well for me.

Good luck to you. BTW, the powder I use is Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort body powder, and I highly recommend it.
Old 05-12-10, 08:54 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the tip on the Gold Bond. I'm planning on starting next week so, I'll give the powder a try. I start @ 0700 so it's pretty cool on the ride in. Thanks again
Old 05-12-10, 08:55 PM
ChrisENC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bring a box of baby wipes and use then after I cooled down and while I was changing. I always make sure to cool down because I don't want to use the baby wipes and put on fresh clothes if I'm still running hot and sweating. I also apply deodorant and a little Old Spice spray. I keep a shorter business hair cut and run water through my hands and try to rinse my hair a bit, then wipe my head with a paper towel. I keep it pretty simple.
Old 05-12-10, 09:10 PM
Jtgyk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisENC
I bring a box of baby wipes and use then after I cooled down and while I was changing. I always make sure to cool down because I don't want to use the baby wipes and put on fresh clothes if I'm still running hot and sweating. I also apply deodorant and a little Old Spice spray. I keep a shorter business hair cut and run water through my hands and try to rinse my hair a bit, then wipe my head with a paper towel. I keep it pretty simple.
This is good advice about planning for enough time for a cool down.
I live just far enough from work that I have a nice slow(ish) easy ride in to try and avoid the sweat issue. Lately It's been just hot and humid enough that I'll hit the employee entrance mostly dry.....but if I don't have a cool down time, I've kicked in my metabolism and really start sweating when I get inside with no air moving.
Today I cut it close and was still sweating when I changed clothes (yuck). Luckily, I have a 10" electric fan under my desk and managed to be relatively dry when I had to go out front and deal with patrons.

Showering before your commute can help eliminate stink.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 05-12-10, 09:14 PM
cyclefreaksix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I too work in a hospital (12hr shift). I went to administration and inquired as to shower access. I was given access to a seldom used shower that I was unaware of until it was pointed out. Perhaps something like that would help you. I mean, you work in a hospital...There are lots of showers there!
Old 05-12-10, 09:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
Sucks that you have showers and can't use them.

I had the same question, because I also sweat a lot. After reading lots of suggestions on here, I decided to use unscented baby wipes, deodorant, and some good powder. I've only commuted a few times so far, but it has worked great. I shower before I leave, so I'm clean when I start. I even have a shower at work, but this seems to work out well for me.

Good luck to you. BTW, the powder I use is Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort body powder, and I highly recommend it.
This post is the total win. Best advice.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-12-10, 09:15 PM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps it's obvious but I'll say it anyway. Don't wear your work clothes when commuting. Wear bike clothes and change when you get to work. You should start the trip feeling too cool. Also, go slow. It may take a while, but eventually you'll get a better feel for how hard you can go without sweating excessively.

Pau
Old 05-12-10, 09:19 PM
adaminlc

Bikes: 2007 Surly Cross Check, 199? Novara Alpine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like wet-ones rather than normal wet wipes. They seem to kill scent a little better. I also reapply deodorant after the ride. I also like to wash my face after the ride. I have a fairly shaggy beard, and the quick wash makes me feel all sorta better.
Old 05-12-10, 10:14 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a funk issue nor do I work a 12 hour shift but years ago while traveling for days without a shower, I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TYFJ64C8A7NGMV to wipe down with. They are absorbent and dry quickly.
Old 05-12-10, 10:33 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a teacher, so BO isn't necessarily a good thing for me either.

My commute is 10 miles, but I'm a sweaty bastard anyway. I dont' have showers at work, and I can't bring myself to take a *****'s bath in the faculty bathroom, so here's the deal with my commute - I'll wear sweatpants or shorts (depending on the weather) and an appropriate top, and pack the rest. I usually get to work 1/2 hr before I need to, so I'm able to sit around for 20 minutes, grading, checking email, etc. Once I'm semi-dry, I'll change into my work gear, deodorize and cologne-ize myself as necessary, and call it good.

I usually shower at night, so that I don't have to worry about wet head as I bike to school (at least, more than I normally do - again, sweaty head).
Old 05-13-10, 03:51 AM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd look for a gym within a mile or so radius to the hospital. It's worth the $30/mo for me to have a shower. You can do a mile or so without sweating too bad
Old 05-13-10, 05:31 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't find a gym nearby you can still minimize, actually eliminate, the odors.

This is what I do (in detail) and I always smell clean at work, no one would tell I was sweating for 45 minutes in the morning.

Keep in mind that your main sources of odor are: your hair, armpits and feet and perhaps some areas of the lower back where sweat flows and dries out. The sweat itself doesn't smell, but the bacteria that forms in it. The key is to keep the sweat from mixing with anything and drying until you get to work and have the chance to clean it off. You can't cover it up, you have to remove most of the sweat. And you have to change ALL your clothes to clean ones at work. You will need to stock or carry some stuff with you though.

Oral hygiene is a whole other thing to keep in mind.

Prerequisites and before the ride:

- wear merino wool tops and base layers, regular wool sweaters, it doesn't stink, wool socks too (you can get away without washing these for a week)
- wool shorts are expensive and not very rugged so wear regular synthetic shorts or tights, without padding or with very thin padding, if you keep yourself clean the bottoms won't smell for at least two days and they can be washed easily in shower and will dry overnight, thick padding may not dry overnight
- cut your hair short
- trim your armpits hair (don't shave, just cut short)
- do your number twos before showering
- shower well before leaving
- I also apply a bit of baby oil to my crotch area to avoid chafing
- don't use any deodorants before the ride whether wearing merino wool or not! You don't want any chemicals on the wool and they won't help any for a short ride anyway, the key is to clean up after the ride and you will have harder time to clean your armpits if there is any deodorant in there
- try to ride easy on the way to work, don't rush
- don't overdress
- leave early to give yourself time to clean up and cool off, you don't want to appear sweaty and hot - that's psychological effect on people around you

After arriving at work:

- wash your head, face and neck in a bathroom sink (soap, shampoo, whatever)
- wipe your armpits, lower back and feet with WetOnes (you can wash your armpits and feet in a sink too, although not necessary)
- you can apply a bit of antibiotic ointment to your armpits optionally
- change all clothes including socks and shoes (keep clean shoes for work)
- apply good stick deodorant underarms (I like Axe) and some spray to your back, front and lower parts (I like Nivea, matching Axe is hard to find) and mixing scents is OK, no one will notice.
- optionally, apply some nice smelling hair treatment of your choice: spray, mousse, etc., again, mixing scents is no big deal, unless you're a fashionista and can tell scents by brand and model
- no need for fancy cologne unless you want to, then you can get matching deodorant and hair treatment if you really like, although I don't bother with that at work

It may sound a bit complicated, but it takes 10 minutes and is VERY effective. I sweat a lot and normally would stink badly after one ride by the time my body and clothes dry out.

Adam

Last edited by AdamDZ; 05-13-10 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-13-10, 06:04 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A close-by gym is a good option (it's what I do,) but checking for an in-facility shower that would be available to you might be better. (You never know until you ask.)
Old 05-13-10, 06:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
there should be a sticky for this (no pun intended)
shower before leaving home - no bacteria - no stink
stock clothing and mennen unscented stick deodorant at work - you have a locker of some kind?
after arriving change everything from head to toe
but first you'll need to strip and wipe down
my solution was 1 washcloth
1 hand towel
1 tiny bottle of diluted neutrogenia shampoo
1 plastic bag
1 rack trunk
get a private bathroom and do your hair; underarms and privates
then towel off
wear as little as possible and reuse whatever you can such as bike shorts if you can hang them to air dry somewhere
daily wet stuff goes in that plastic bag
the point is you clean; sweat; strip and wipe down then redress with fresh everything.
you'll be so sparkly you can have a rondevu in a broom closet with your girlfriend
wait, what?
Old 05-13-10, 07:44 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
there should be a sticky for this (no pun intended)
Old 05-13-10, 07:54 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, to add: as a bike commuter you need to be creative, improvise and see things in a way others don't. You can take all our advice but it may not work in your particular situation, so take it as guidelines and tweak for your use.

For instance, I don't put my wet morning clothes in a bag, I don't have to. I find a place that is warm and/or has airflow and won't be in anybody's way to hang my stuff to dry so I can wear them on the way home. I wear merino tops so they don't smell. Examples: back of my computer or monitor, back of a copy machine, a boiler room, a server room, maintainance room, etc., just make sure people in the area know. Some people who park bikes in the provided bike shed leave their shirts on their bike to dry. I can take mine to the office so I have an easier task. Look around for opportunities to store and dry your stuff without offending or inconveniencing anyone, or without breaking any fire regulations. Be friendly with people who have access to areas you can use for changing and storage, like that broom closet
Old 05-13-10, 08:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Oh yeah. I agree - now I use the boiler room. I've got a whole corner just for me so everything is drying out right now: towel; trisuit; socks; base layer; day-glo wind breaker; bandanna and headband. Our new office is soooo much better than the last one. The last office had no place to hide clothes except whatever bag I carried on my bike. My new pants are great cuz I can bike in them (with some kind of liner; shorts or trisuit) and use them at the office too. https://shop.lululemon.com/Seawall_Pa...40/p/1915.html They are a little blowsy at the bottom but I use a few bands and straps to keep it under control.
Old 05-13-10, 08:46 AM
Gary in VA
Make mine lard...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used unscented baby wipes soaked in rubbing alcohol with great results. Get a good baby wipe container that seals shut well, drop in the baby wipes, soak in rubbing alcohol. Very refreshing.
Old 05-13-10, 08:57 AM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just have to applaud all your efforts to continue your commuting. It makes me feel extra fortunate that I have a broom closet to park my bike in and shower facilities to use.

For the OP, I have to think there has got to be shower somewhere you could use in a hospital, or at least a cute candystriper that needs to practice on giving sponge baths
Old 05-13-10, 09:10 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swe...SECTION=causes

Shower right before you leave, bacteria wont have time to grow back. It's not the sweat that stinks. If the link is accurate then don;t be afraid when you right, enjoy the ride. Bring some wipes and such, but for the most part a quick wipe should suffice once cooled down. I work with some brutally honest lads, I've asked them if I stank and told them to be honest as I DO NOT wish to offend, when I come in in the morning I do not stink. If I ride at lunch after a few hours of bacterial growth, I smell, and need to shower before heading back to my desk. It's true I swear.... sweat itself doesn't stink. Ask an expert, you work in a hospital afterall.

I'm seeing a bath in the OR's scrub sink.
Old 05-13-10, 10:11 AM
That Linux Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had issues with sweating too but my commute is only 5 miles each way. With the heat already here (speaking from North Florida that is), the best things I've found is wearing cycling specific clothing, pack your change of clothes and supplies in a pannier as opposed to a backpack or messenger bag, and allow ample time to cool down. That last one is themost important for easy cleanup. I too shower before the ride in and if you give yourself 10 minutes to cool down, I'd bet a quick alcohol wipe would be sufficient before changing into your work attire or uniform. I share a small office with a guy who has a good sense of smell (unlike me) and he hasn't comlained about my scent yet.
Old 05-13-10, 10:13 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good advice, all, but you need to negotiate your way into a shower.

There's a lot of plumbing in a modern hospital. Somewhere there's something you can use.
Old 05-13-10, 10:24 AM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Late to the game here but I ride flat out 5 miles each way and get a little sweaty in the process. I definitely recommend wearing cycling clothes (I wear clipless shoes too). Bring your day clothes in a bag (or leave a set at work). I wash my face and apply deoderant when I get to work, no issues so far.
Old 05-13-10, 10:25 AM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its all been covered.

My only suggestion would be to have a pair of sucks/ fresh t-shirt/ fresh underware at the workplace. Today i was saved by my fresh sucks and underware, on the way here a big rain broke and i was soaking wet!

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.