Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Sram 57 Gear Indicator

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-23, 04:32 AM
gary303hynes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey all,

Seeking a gear indicator for a Sram 7 speed. Having no luck with retailers I've contacted, and I've contacted quite a few. Would anyone here be able to help with this? My bikes in the shop and the repair man said this is the only part that's needed to get it going properly. If no luck I'll be stuck in one gear, otherwise I will have to cash out for a new wheel, but it might be worth it as it's a nice bike. It's a Batavus Entrada.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 04-27-23, 11:28 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
it's an s7, not "57"... and they are discontinued... Ebay shows one for sale, but the Shipping from Europe is insanely expensive.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16416213545...IAAOSwem9elx62

and you might tell the mechanic to get his eyeglasses prescription updated..... Me

you might have some luck contacting SRAM directly... they may offer an "updated" alternative.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-27-23 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-27-23, 11:41 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Ebay shows one for sale, but the Shipping from Europe is insanely expensive.
Are Batavus bikes available outside Europe? I'd assume that's where the OP is BICBW.
Old 04-27-23, 11:46 AM
gary303hynes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maddog34 Thanks very much. He's an old timer and doesn't work with these bikes generally. I did ask him if he was sure it wasn't S7 but he seemed fairly certain. Thanks for the link, price is pushing it a bit but all things considered I don't mind too much. I did email SRAM in my region but no response, but I might check further afield.
Likes For gary303hynes:
Old 04-27-23, 11:50 AM
gary303hynes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grumpus
Are Batavus bikes available outside Europe? I'd assume that's where the OP is BICBW.
I am not sure. My guess is no unless you get shipping. I'm in Ireland. I found the bike on Donedeal, a local buy and sell website.
Old 04-27-23, 08:10 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by grumpus
One of my Trek rebuilds is now in Hamburg, Germany... a cherry '86 1500 road ripper... My neighbor owns a 2 door Hillman Delivery/panel wagon... Another neighbor owns a really nice, lightweight, Royce Union Full Suspension MTB that was bought in Germany.. it looks like an early Trek, and the Mongoose XR75 MTB's are a cheaper, heavier copy with a steel rear swingarm........ so you just never know...

Last edited by maddog34; 04-27-23 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-27-23, 08:34 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by gary303hynes
maddog34 Thanks very much. He's an old timer and doesn't work with these bikes generally. I did ask him if he was sure it wasn't S7 but he seemed fairly certain. Thanks for the link, price is pushing it a bit but all things considered I don't mind too much. I did email SRAM in my region but no response, but I might check further afield.
run a search for a "SRAM S7" on your internet in Ireland... You'll get different responses than us americans, i'd guess... and try SRAM again with a request for an S7 assembly... the cable, twist grip, and axle mounted actuator/bell crank come as one assembly...

oh, and i'm an old guy too.. my glasses are thick and my hair is thin. some of my ancestors have a big heap of carefully stacked rocks they call home in southern Ireland... Murphy.Castle
Old 04-28-23, 02:07 AM
gary303hynes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maddog34 Thanks again. I think I'll get one from the ebay link. It's 45 euro in total, which isn't so bad. Haha, well, maybe the mechanic is just lazy in that case, or maybe like Biden who just visited the town, he's a bit senile. Murphy Castle eh? That's interesting and awesome.