Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon Ultimate CF, should I buy it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 10:46 AM
bagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!
I am looking for an affordable, but still reliable and enjoyable road bike.
For weekend rides, some summer multiple-day trips and ocasionally commuting.
I found this used bike for sale. I think it is a good deal, however I don't have enough background knowledge in bike parts to be completely sure.
Someone, who has some experience with this model of bike, or any general knowledge, could help me?
Here are the specifics and a photo:
The seller asks for 550 EUR
Canyon Ultimate Cf (carbon)
• 2x10 speed
• Shimano Ultegra 6600 series levers
• Ultegra 6600 siries shifters (front and back)
• Shimano Ultegra 6600 series breaks (front and back)
• Shimano HT2 105 5700 series pedals
• Bontrager handlebar
• Shimano R 500 wheels
(the bike has some scratches and obvious signs of usage, however nothing serious)
Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited by bagi; 06-21-23 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-23, 10:52 AM
bagi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am just now seeing, that I can not post a picture, just after 10 posts, beacuse I am a newbie, however, if you search for Canyon Ultimate CF 2012, the listed items look pretty close to this model
Old 06-21-23, 10:53 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
An Ultegra-equipped Canyon Ultimate for 550 EUR sounds pretty good, as long as the bike is in good condition, and everything works as it should. It's not the newest thing on the block, but was a high-end bike in its day.
Old 06-21-23, 10:56 AM
bagi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! I only seen pictures of it, but hope it works fine
Old 06-21-23, 10:58 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Canyon has two road bikes - Ultimate and Endurance. The Ultimate is more of a race bike. That's really a relative term. I mean, these are bikes. The differences in a race bike and an endurance bike are not like the differences in a race car and a daily driver. But, the Ultimate will be a bit more aggressive (the geometry) and a little stiffer. Your described "use case" seems more in line with an endurance bike. But again, these are slight differences.

I have a Canyon (gravel bike) and it's been awesome. The bike you described is a damn nice bike.

Am I reading your post correctly - the seller is asking for 550 Euros? Unless it's been run over by a lorry... a few times, it could be a scam. Proceed with caution ;-)
Old 06-21-23, 11:10 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Am I reading your post correctly - the seller is asking for 550 Euros? Unless it's been run over by a lorry... a few times, it could be a scam. Proceed with caution ;-)
This is valuable advice. The price is low enough to raise some suspicion.
Old 06-21-23, 11:11 AM
bagi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, about the specifics.(: I will look into some endurance bikes too, because it could truly be a better fit, based on your descprition.
Yes, the price seems a little bit suspicious for me too (after some research), that is also a reason why I am looking for some experience-based opinions on this forum. I try to talk with the seller personaly and find out the reasons for selling it, but based on the pictures and the bike descriptions it seems like a pretty legit deal.
Old 06-21-23, 11:40 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Scammers often use someone else's pics and details so it would look legit. Maybe ask the seller - via text/email - some questions that seem legit but aren't...
- Are the batteries the originals that came with the shifters?
- Are the elastomers in good shape?

You'll either get "Yes. The product is in excellent working order" or "Dude, this is a mech bike and full rigid frameset". You're hoping for the latter ;-)
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 06-22-23, 07:34 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My GF has an Ultimate CF SLX 8,0 and I think it's a great bike especially at it's price point. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have 5 bikes.
Old 06-22-23, 08:06 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Maintenance is the key. An 10 year old bike that was well maintained is better than a 5 year old bike that was beaten up and/or not maintained properly.

For that price, I don't think you can go wrong, unless everything on the bike is shot.