Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of a tubeless charger/reservoir

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Talk me out of a tubeless charger/reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 07:18 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I mean, what’s the difference between a flash charger and the tank on a compressor? They’re both holding some volume of air at some pressure. If you both the charger and the compressor tank are the same size and at the same pressure, but you can’t the compressor to flow at the same rate as the charger, that’s probably because you’re trying to use the blow gun head (as you stated) rather than a quality inflator like the Park INF-2.
You're as good as FaceBook and Instagram! You know how you search for something then the next post in your feed is an ad for that. I was thinking last night "Damn it. I have a compressor. it has a reservoir, a hose... the blowgun and tire chuck just don't have the flow rate... " and started searching for better heads. And then your comment. Boom.
Old 06-16-23, 08:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
You're as good as FaceBook and Instagram! You know how you search for something then the next post in your feed is an ad for that. I was thinking last night "Damn it. I have a compressor. it has a reservoir, a hose... the blowgun and tire chuck just don't have the flow rate... " and started searching for better heads. And then your comment. Boom.
Something to think about while you’re searching is the ergonomics of the inflator head. I think the type with a hose connection to the wheel valve are awkward and clumsy to work with, and using the fixed-head type makes the work much easier. It’s a hard pill to swallow, perhaps, at $140, but really, Park INF-2 was a game-changer for me in that it really streamlined the workflow.
Old 06-16-23, 08:28 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I don't see the point of buying these if you can buy a 2 in 1 pump. There is a switch that you flip if you want to fill the air chamber for a shot, otherwise it works like a regular pump. Plus, you only carry 1 thing when traveling instead of two and a reservoir needs to be filled anyways.

I have the Giant Control Tower Boost pump and it works well. Charging it to 160-180PSI will instantly seat and inflate a 28mm tire to 40PSI. It overheats quickly though (inflation rate decreases significantly after doing 2 tires) and it doesn't have a check valve (the air from the tire gets inside the pump when you connect the head to the valve) which is something I don't like.

I've heard good things on the Lezyne, Topeak and Bontrager ones.
Old 06-16-23, 08:49 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I bought an airshot and use it every time I mount tubeless. I'm sure the 2-in-1 pump setups work great too, but (at least when I was shopping) these were significantly more expensive than just buying an airshot and using my current floor pump.

An air compressor would be great and might make the process easier, but they're noisy and take up storage space. I get why bike shops use them, but for a home DIY'er that only does this a few times a year it seems like overkill. I've yet to encounter a tubeless tire that couldn't be seated with the Airshot.
Old 06-16-23, 11:16 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
because then I would start buying pneumatic tools and I end up with $500 worth of tools and I'd feel I have to use those tools and start new projects (which inevitably leads to even more tools) all because I wanted tubeless tires.
I am nowhere near handy enough around the house to justify having pneumatic tools.

A few years ago, I bought a Bostitch pancake compressor (which came with a hose and blow gun) purely for keeping the tires on our two cars properly inflated. Properly inflated tires handle better, improve their rolling resistance, prolong their service life, and prevent blowouts, so a basic compressor is worth it for any family with two or more cars. I never used it on my bikes until going tubeless earlier this year.

The Park INF-2 looks nice but is more than the combined original price of my compressor and ARB Shrader inflator. As I don't need to use my compressor to inflate my bike tires, I don't think I can justify buying one. To seat my tubeless tires, I used my blow gun with one of these rubber tips:

8PCS Black Rubber Air Tool For Air Nozzle Tip, Blow Gun Rubber Tip For Air Tool, Parts Air Nozzle For Air Blow Guns Tool For Air Tool Parts & Accessories Air Blow Guns Tool - Amazon.com

I stretch out the tip of the rubber tip with a Philips screwdriver, so that the tip can fit over and onto a Presta valve stem (with the valve core removed). Seating the tire beads is fast and easy. When I first went tubeless, I saw suggestions here on BF to use a blow gun with a smaller tip that fits into the Presta valve stem, but I think my setup allows higher flow rate. I agree with chaadster that if one cannot get the beads seated with a compressor, something must be inadequate with the setup.
Old 06-16-23, 12:47 PM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by eduskator
I don't see the point of buying these if you can buy a 2 in 1 pump.
I agree. But, since I have a high-pressure (road) pump, high-volume (mtb) pump, and a compressor, hose, attachments... Oh, and the compressor sits in a spot in my shop where it gets used without moving it, i.e., on low shelf, plugged in, etc.

So, firing up the compressor and attaching a good HIGH-FLOW (!) chuck could be the best solutions.
Old 06-16-23, 01:06 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I agree and that's what I do (use an air compressor) even if I have a tubeless inflator floor pump. I bought a Presta/Shrader combo tire pressure gauge that I can attach to the hose - saves me at least 50 pumps per tire.

For those who don't have air compressors at home, the 2 in 1 pumps are handy and a good option.

Last edited by eduskator; 06-16-23 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 03:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I've been able to mount my tires with a floor pump, but I already have a compressor if one is a little testy.

Old 06-16-23, 07:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Bet

Originally Posted by rsbob
Exactly, besides you can use the compressor for others tasks as well. I use a compressor to seat my tubeless tires and a track pump to maintain them.
So I have a Bontrager cannister, and a cheap air compressor. The cannister does a much much better job seating tubeless tires.

It may be that my very cheap compressor is not quite up to the job. My takeaway from a sample of 2 is that the canisters do a better job than a bargain basket Harbor Freight compressor.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-17-23, 06:05 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
So I have a Bontrager cannister, and a cheap air compressor. The cannister does a much much better job seating tubeless tires.

It may be that my very cheap compressor is not quite up to the job. My takeaway from a sample of 2 is that the canisters do a better job than a bargain basket Harbor Freight compressor.
Most chucks/heads/attachments - especially those that come with the compressors - don’t have a high enough flow rate. That was sort my “ah ha” here - that I need a better inflator (attachment) for the compressor, not another pump.

I ordered one. I’ll report back.
Old 06-17-23, 06:44 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Most chucks/heads/attachments - especially those that come with the compressors - don’t have a high enough flow rate. That was sort my “ah ha” here - that I need a better inflator (attachment) for the compressor, not another pump.

I ordered one. I’ll report back.
mine had that problem. A new attachment helped, but still not great. I think my compressor is too small, and underpowered to really do the job well.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-17-23, 07:33 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
mine had that problem. A new attachment helped, but still not great. I think my compressor is too small, and underpowered to really do the job well.
Get a reservoir tank that the compressor is hooked into/fills. Do all of your air needs from the tank.
Old 07-05-23, 03:17 PM
Zaskar

aaaand I have feedback.

I bought a Jaco (4.4 stars out of 2,437 reviews) tire chuck. It locks on to the valve (releases with a push button) and has a gauge and a trigger. It does require using the Schrader adapter but does NOT require pulling the valve core.

Using my small (pancake) compressor, I reinstalled two tires on the first attempt - super easy. Okay, "re" is key. It's often easier to remount tires. But Monday, I mounted a new Schwalbe (even new rim tape) and it inflated and sealed like it was already seated. Just PFFFFT and it was at 80 psi - and held. Again - that's with the valve core in the valve.

I'd rate this setup higher than the Bontrager Flash Charger. But - and it's a big but - I have and use a compressor for other things. If I didn't need a compressor, the Flash Charger is still pretty great.

​​​​​​​
Likes For Zaskar: