Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ideal use case for different sealant? Warning another tubeless thread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 09:04 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

On my primary road bike, I recently gave up on Stans... or Schwalbe tires... or Schwalbe and Stans. Well, after months of not being able to keep air in the tires, I switched to Orange Seal and Conti 5000s. Magically? Coincidentally? Those two tires are holding air like they're tubed. The Schwalbes I took off were new. I gave them several weeks. I added more and more Stans. I verified (multiple times) that the air was ONLY leaking through the sidewalls. And yeah, I tried the thing where you spin/shake the wheel then lay it on its side dead-level and flip it every 20 min. The last ride I did on the Schwalbes was 20 miles. Stared at 80 psi... finished at 35 psi.

On my gravel bike, I'm having the same issue. Conti tires but still Stans sealant. The air is ONLY leaking through the tire - not the bead, not the valve, not spoke holes... just right through the tire sidewall and tread.

I'm going to pull the tires, clean them and switch these to Orange Seal also.

The recent swap on the road bike and the upcoming swap on the gravel bike are my first experiences with anything but Stans. Is what I'm seeing - the air through the tire - the reason to switch sealants?

Last edited by Zaskar; 09-21-23 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-22-23, 04:10 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
The sidewall seeping is what prompted me to change from Stans to Orange Seal, as well. I've been very happy with Orange Seal original formula for a number of years. I tried their Endurance version and had some punctures that wouldn't seal.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-22-23, 07:23 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Stans is first generation and frankly sucks. Orange Seal is currently the best sealant I've seen. I don't know how Stans manages to keep selling that stuff.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-22-23, 10:47 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
When I setup tubeless for the first time earlier this year and had to research what to do, I came across many similar anecdotes: that people who had sealing trouble with Stan's switched to Orange to fix the issue, but none vice versa. From what I read, Stan's only advantage is that it takes noticeably longer to dry out. So I did not even touch the bottle of Stan's that came with my bike and just used Orange Seal the first time.
Old 09-22-23, 08:22 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
My shop set up my bike with Stan’s, but I later switched to Orange Seal. IME it works better, especially at road tire pressures. When I switched, I just started adding Orange Seal on top of the Stan’s. Their both water soluble latex I believe and several people told me they’d done so with no issues. I didn’t have any problems either.

interesting comments on the Schwalbe tires, I’ve mostly run Schwalbe Pro Ones, I’ve also used Conti 5000s and Michelins. Depends on availability when I’m shopping. I’ve never noticed a sidewall leak problem, and at the moment I have a 5000 on the front and a Schwalbe on the back. The front Conti is losing about 1-2 lbs a day more than the back.
Likes For jimincalif: