Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pro's & Con's Madone SL6 Generation &

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pro's & Con's Madone SL6 Generation &

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-23, 10:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Lower weight materials also typically cost more. Carbon fiber fabric and resin is not just one weave or formula with the same weight per strength and durability. Same for steel and aluminum bikes. Some alloys will give a thinner tube and lighter bike, but the cost in them usually go up too. Labor to make those better bikes also costs more whether it's because it takes more time to manufacture with those more expensive materials or it's because the people that have the experience to build that more expensive bike have the skills to be better paid.
Old 11-15-23, 10:04 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's a thing), but aren't Trek's carbon road (and mtn) frame sets still manufactured at Quest Composites in Taiwan... along with Canyon's carbon frame sets?
Old 11-15-23, 10:29 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by frdfandc
The Emonda is a climbers bike, the Madone is the aero race bike, and the Domane is the endurance bike. They're all race bikes. Just depends on where they're being raced.
Indeed. However, I wouldn't only put the Emonda in the ''climber bike'' category. It's a do-it-all race bike like the Giant TCR, Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Ultimate, etc. A true climbing bicycle would be a Specialized Aethos or something like that.

We don't have flats where I live so TT and aero-race bikes are uncommon as they are usually heavier and don't offer any real advantage on our terrains. That's why I use the term ''aero-race'' and ''race'' to differentiate both types.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-15-23, 12:31 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Indeed. However, I wouldn't only put the Emonda in the ''climber bike'' category. It's a do-it-all race bike like the Giant TCR, Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Ultimate, etc. A true climbing bicycle would be a Specialized Aethos or something like that.

We don't have flats where I live so TT and aero-race bikes are uncommon as they are usually heavier and don't offer any real advantage on our terrains. That's why I use the term ''aero-race'' and ''race'' to differentiate both types.
Ok that’s unfamiliar terminology to me but understood. A mate has the 2022 Emonda and he’s scarily fast on the flat, but I blame the twenty years he’s got on me. And you know, all the training and nutrition he does & that.
Old 11-15-23, 02:08 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's a thing), but aren't Trek's carbon road (and mtn) frame sets still manufactured at Quest Composites in Taiwan... along with Canyon's carbon frame sets?
My Madone is marked "assembled in USA". Whatever that means. Probably install the seat here or something.

The older Madones appeared to be made here at one time. Depending on the build model.
Old 11-15-23, 02:12 PM
Zaskar

Yeah, "Assembled in the USA" is right up with "NASA Inspired." You gotta give those marketing guys credit. Oh, full disclosure... I'm a marketing guy.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 11-15-23, 02:36 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Bully4
My Madone is marked "assembled in USA". Whatever that means. Probably install the seat here or something.

The older Madones appeared to be made here at one time. Depending on the build model.
Has tax / customs duty implications too probably
Old 11-15-23, 04:31 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Yeah, "Assembled in the USA" is right up with "NASA Inspired." You gotta give those marketing guys credit. Oh, full disclosure... I'm a marketing guy.
Assembled=not made in
Old 11-15-23, 04:35 PM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by beeballman
Assembled=not made in
Yeah... that was my point. Just like "NASA Inspired" did not take place at NASA.
Old 11-15-23, 04:35 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
How is the Madone, used by the Lidl Trek pro team, not a race bike?
I looked at all bikes. Fell in love with the Madone. I have always had and like an aggressive frame, and loved Aero at the same time. My current Fuji has an aggressive sprinters frame SST 3.0, but I have decked it out with aero wheels and bars. I just love the look of the new Madone.
Likes For beeballman:
Old 11-16-23, 09:17 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Well, at least our local workers have a role to play in its assembly. Nothing we can really do about globalization except paying more for products that are fully manufactured locally.
Likes For eduskator: