Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Exercise Induced Insomnia? Yup, it’s a thing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Exercise Induced Insomnia? Yup, it’s a thing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 06:04 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
This is the second time I have done this - obviously a slow learner. Did an intensive ZWIFT two hour workout (mostly tempo and threshold - with a few bumps into anaerobic) finishing at 7 PM after a cool-down.

Had dinner at 8:30 (no alcohol) and collapsed into bed at 10:30. Awakened wide awake in the wee hours, laid in bed for an hour and a half and finally got up and read/watched a movie until 4:30 - 5:00 AM, until I finally was able to sleep. While wide awake, ran a query on the interwebs, “Exercise induced insomnia” and yowza, several articles popped up discussing how intensive exercise can result in high levels of cortisol and norepinephrine (think adrenaline and its effects) which lasts for hours. The articles went on to state that strenuous prolonged exercise is best done before mid-day to keep those pesky sleep interrupters at bay. Here is one quick article which in a summary of several others: https://www.outsideonline.com/health...ause-insomnia/

Guaranteed I won’t be replicating this a third time.

Who else has experienced his wondrous phenomenon?
We should all have bedtime routines, just like when we were kids, just like we do with our kids. The brain needs to calm down before going to bed.

On my end, it means no caffeine after 10AM (yes, AM), no heart pumping / physical activity 2 hours before bedtime, no food and alcohol after diner and the most important, no white light / screen at least 1 hour before going to bed. I also meditate from time to time.

Doing this solved 95% of my sleep problems that I had since over a decade.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-04-24, 06:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
It's not so much timing of the ride for me, but how much training fatigue I'm going to bed with. The caveat to this is, I do like at least having a couple of hours of "unwind" time before bed...if that gets cut short, I do have a harder time falling asleep.
This is exactly what I find too. A prime example was after the L’Etape du Tour. Early morning start and a gruelling full-on race effort. Sleep quality that night was very poor, tossing and turning all night.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-04-24, 06:28 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
We should all have bedtime routines, just like when we were kids, just like we do with our kids. The brain needs to calm down before going to bed.

On my end, it means no caffeine after 10AM (yes, AM), no heart pumping / physical activity 2 hours before bedtime, no food and alcohol after diner and the most important, no white light / screen at least 1 hour before going to bed. I also meditate from time to time.

Doing this solved 95% of my sleep problems that I had since over a decade.
I totally agree with you, but a high level of exercise fatigue on any given day still affects my sleep quality regardless. Fortunately only when over-reaching eg my target race events where I don’t leave anything on the table.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-04-24, 02:26 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is exactly what I find too. A prime example was after the L’Etape du Tour. Early morning start and a gruelling full-on race effort. Sleep quality that night was very poor, tossing and turning all night.
I can think of the last gravel race I did. 0900 start time and I was done racing before 2pm. Even though I had many hours to regroup/recover/unwind from it, sleep was still poor, as I was on the gas for 4.5 hours. Although most of my rides/races are in the morning, I love getting some evening rides in during the "golden hour" in the warmer months. Even though I sometimes finish up the ride at 8:30pm, they're usually lower-intensity rides and I can comfortably be in bed by 10:30.

Yet another example is one of the local XC mtb race series I compete in. The races start at 6pm and are extremely intense, but only 45-60 minutes long. My average HR during those events typically ranges anywhere from 170-180bpm, so I'm not slacking in them. However, being less than an hour long, the duration of the effort really isn't enough to have a meaningful impact on my sleep quality. I'll see suppressed heart rate variability and a resting HR that's elevated by a couple beats, but I'm not tossing/turning like I would after the 4+ hour races.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 03-04-24, 06:09 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Duh, extreneous excersice before bed time is dumb...
Old 03-04-24, 06:48 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I can think of the last gravel race I did. 0900 start time and I was done racing before 2pm. Even though I had many hours to regroup/recover/unwind from it, sleep was still poor, as I was on the gas for 4.5 hours. Although most of my rides/races are in the morning, I love getting some evening rides in during the "golden hour" in the warmer months. Even though I sometimes finish up the ride at 8:30pm, they're usually lower-intensity rides and I can comfortably be in bed by 10:30.

Yet another example is one of the local XC mtb race series I compete in. The races start at 6pm and are extremely intense, but only 45-60 minutes long. My average HR during those events typically ranges anywhere from 170-180bpm, so I'm not slacking in them. However, being less than an hour long, the duration of the effort really isn't enough to have a meaningful impact on my sleep quality. I'll see suppressed heart rate variability and a resting HR that's elevated by a couple beats, but I'm not tossing/turning like I would after the 4+ hour races.
Again I find exactly the same thing. It’s only the really prolonged sufferfests that mess up my sleep. Any intensity up to an hour is okay as long as it’s not directly before bedtime. If I’m done by 9 pm then I’m okay to sleep by 11 pm.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-12-24, 04:40 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Ate a piece of leftover cake after dinner (5pm), felt guilty so I jumped on the trainer for a 40-min, mostly sub-threshold session (10pm). Contributing to this thread at 3:30am after semi falling asleep for the past 2+ hours 🤷
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-12-24, 10:26 AM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Yep, common problem especially for long duration events. All three times I did the Tour Divide bikepacking race I had issues for several days falling asleep after 14-16 hours in the saddle. After the first event, where I can vividly remember the first night 'clock watching' until I fell asleep at 5:30 am only to get up at 7, I researched the issue, and found that the stress hormone cortisol is the likely culprit. Basically I just had to endure several days until lack of sleep overcomes cortisol.
As evidence, I submit "Morning #3" :
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 03-25-24, 12:39 PM
wilas

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I know what insomnia is. I couldn't get rid of it. I contacted therapists via theravive customer service and took sleeping pills. It all lasted until I changed my dauly routine and diet.And of course, doing sports plays a great role.

Last edited by wilas; 04-18-24 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-26-24, 05:53 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by mia_davis
In fact, I often suffer from insomnia, I think it will be useful for me to try some of your tips, thanks. Although personally, I have identified certain rituals for myself before going to bed. Sometimes a warm glass of water and some good vitamins from the Canadian Pharmacy, which I always have at home, help me.
Mindfulness works wonders for me. Takes a little practice. There’s a great app called “Waking Up” which I think gets it right.