Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pro's & Con's Madone SL6 Generation &

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-23, 06:14 AM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts

Okay, I am considering getting a new bike with in the next 2-5 months. I am really liking the Madone SL6 Generation 7 that Trek has introduced at the new price point with Di2 105. So I am asking the Forum for some pro's and con's. My Current and only ride now is a 2013 Fuji SST 3.0 with the aggressive sprinting posture that is set up for Aero. Okay let it rip Pro's and Con's of the New Madone.
Old 11-04-23, 06:51 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Con - only comes in black or red.
Old 11-04-23, 07:53 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Con - the A hole
Pro - awesome bike
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-04-23, 08:15 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Pros: if you like an aggressive sprinting posture, you'll probably love the Madone.
Cons: Reviews (i.e. Bike YouTube) suggest that it's a ride that doesn't just invite you to go fast, but might make you a bit miserable if you're not constantly pushing the pace. Kinda like that adrenaline junky you know that always wants to go skydiving or cliff-diving or bouldering when sometimes you just want to sit on the couch and watch Seinfeld reruns.
Old 11-04-23, 03:50 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
The next step up is what you should do. Ultegra di 2 and pro wheels. It only weighs 17 pounds. Just my 2 cents.

What size do you ride?
Old 11-04-23, 05:56 PM
beeballman
beeballman

size 54
Old 11-04-23, 05:56 PM
beeballman
beeballman

love the crimson red
Old 11-04-23, 05:58 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by beeballman
size 54

If you can wing it SL7
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 11-04-23, 05:59 PM
bampilot06

Thinking about selling my Gen 6 SL etap to get the new SL 7.
Old 11-13-23, 06:37 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Pros:

- The Madone SL6 is a solid bike at an attractive price point (relatively speaking). It's great for riding fast on the flats and it handles well in crosswinds.

- The SL frame comes in at a respectable weight and it has the same design as the SLR.

- 105 Di2 provides excellent quality of shifting, and the front derailleur has one limit screw to provide some degree of mechanical adjustment (if you need it). Ultegra Di2 and Dura-Ace Di2 have no screws for mechanical adjustment.

- Clean cable routing without the hassle of dealing with a fully-integrated stem-handlebar. When it's time to change headset bearings you'll be glad you don't have the integrated stem-handlebar that comes with the SLR.

Cons:

- Not so great for climbing

- Wheelset (somewhat heavy, 3-pawl hub, and the internal width of the rim is only 19.5mm)

- Shimano 105 disc rotors

- You may need to swap out some items to achieve proper fit (i.e. cranks, stem, handlebars). Just something to keep in mind. The cost for those changes comes out of your own pocket, and they can add up $$$.

Conclusions / Takeaways:

Unless you are planning to do a lot of climbing on a regular basis, the list of "cons" is quite manageable. There's really not much downside compared to the list of "pros".

If you don't have the cash to swap wheels at the outset, save up and do it later. Or, you might find the stock wheelset to be perfectly fine. Do you know your fit numbers? If so, that will let you know if you need to swap out cranks, stem or handlebars. As for the disc rotors, ride what the bike comes with; and when it's time to replace them, upgrade to something better.

Good luck and have fun shopping for your new bike!
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 11-13-23, 07:48 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I got a slr6 a year ago. I have around 4000 miles on it. So far, so good. I have done nothing to it other than tires and waxing the chain. The 105 di2 doesn't feel as smooth as my emonda with rival. But just my opinion. You can program the 105 so you basically only use the right shifter. I have mine set up so you gotta use both. It would get a little clunky when dropping gears while ascending and it decides to change front rings.
As far as climbing-it gets the job done. I must admit that it feels a little wobbly at slow climbing speeds. However, it's stealthy on fast descents.

I'll be 58 soon. 5'9" and bought a 56. Riding position isn't much different than my 54 emonda. I do like the narrow one piece bars. It's probably why it feels unstable at slow speeds.

It is a little weird to have such low gearing on a race bike. You could probably shave weight by replacing the cassette with different gears. But, my older legs are very appreciative after a longer climb.

BTW-that weird frame hasn't allowed the seat to break off yet. That seemed to be the opinion when they first came out.

When riding, it feels narrow and a little bit coarse. Crosswinds are not fun with the deep wheels and large bottom tube. It is a race bike-comfort seems to be a secondary goal. I run the standard 25mm tires. I'm still used to riding on 23's.

Overall, I'd buy it again. It's faster than I am. If nothing else, That bright red shaves off the watts, LOL. Plus, I need to keep riding to get my money's worth.
Old 11-14-23, 02:42 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Bully4
I a little bit coarse.
Really? Mine is the 2019 SLR8 with mechanical DA. Don’t know if that makes a difference but I think it feels super smooth. Crosswinds are noticeable on 50mm rims for sure.
Old 11-14-23, 05:27 AM
Bully4

Well, it depends on the roads. I ride a bunch of central PA backroads. Some were tarred and chipped years ago. I should have noted that-it's not all the fault of the bike. Smooth roads are a treat on this bike.

As soon as I first rode it I noticed that it just feels so slim and kind of like riding a stick. Not bad, just different than my old Madone and sl6 Emonda. Very lean feeling on that frame.

I ride them all throughout the year. I cannot say that it is more harsh than any of the others. The new Madone does seem to accelerate tremendously well in comparison.

I believe that frames are not a magic pill. They either transfer power or absorb it.

Bikes are often so close in performance that we judge them with subtle differences.

If I could only keep one bike-the SLR6 gen 7 would be it.
Likes For Bully4:
Old 11-14-23, 07:08 AM
choddo

Oh yeah and didn't they remove the isospeed from the more recent bikes?
Old 11-14-23, 10:43 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Curious to know if you considered an Émonda instead of a Madone, and if not, why?

I always find these Aero-Road bikes to be advertised as ''the next big thing'', but the race bikes are usually lighter and offer similar performances.

For the pros and cons, you either like the Madone or you don't. I don't. It seems to be a great bike though.
Old 11-14-23, 03:18 PM
Bully4

To each his own. I have a sl6 emonda with rival too. I bought it the previous year. It has the heavy rival group. Works very well, though. I do like the styling of the Madone. When my LBS got a shipment of Madones, I either said yes or possibly would have never gotten another chance at one. Remember the supply chain ordeal? I'm getting old enough to possibly be making my last expensive bike purchase. But, I do love the shifters on the sram when it gets to be glove weather. Madone is a little faster and seems more responsive. It's two pounds lighter because of group sets. I was thinking of parting with the emonda. But, I'm gonna keep it. It serves a purpose as well. I take it out when the weather is cold.
My buddy's daughter bought a new red emonda. Very nice looking with 105di2. It's that bright red similar to the Madone. I remember years ago when my 5.2 Madone looked exactly like the emonda.

The isospeed is gone. Replaced by that add-on lug hanging out the back of the frame.

I guess it's just personal preference. Overall, it seems that any bike can be fast if the rider is comfortable and acclimated to the riding position. Two pounds either way isn't a lot; my weight varies that much throughout the year.

Trek seems to be very good at marketing. Their bikes have worked well for me over the years. Most relevant is the fact that I trust my local dealer.
Old 11-14-23, 03:20 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by eduskator
Curious to know if you considered an Émonda instead of a Madone, and if not, why?

I always find these Aero-Road bikes to be advertised as ''the next big thing'', but the race bikes are usually lighter and offer similar performances.
How is the Madone, used by the Lidl Trek pro team, not a race bike?
Old 11-14-23, 03:35 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
The Emonda is a climbers bike, the Madone is the aero race bike, and the Domane is the endurance bike. They're all race bikes. Just depends on where they're being raced.
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-14-23, 04:23 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
$8,000 for a 105 bike. Damn. Go Trek.
Old 11-14-23, 04:57 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
$8,000 for a 105 bike. Damn. Go Trek.
I think you're looking at the SLR version. The SL 6 Gen 7 is $5,500. Those SLR frames are expensive.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 11-14-23, 05:32 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
I'm looking at a Domane. $7500 for Force Etap. Specialized Roubaix Pro is $8500. Making the Canyon Endurace CL SLX 8 Axs at $5500 very attractive.
Old 11-14-23, 05:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I think you're looking at the SLR version. The SL 6 Gen 7 is $5,500. Those SLR frames are expensive.
The less material they use to build the frame, obviously means it will cost more.
Old 11-15-23, 02:10 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The less material they use to build the frame, obviously means it will cost more.
I don’t think manufacturing costs have a direct linear relationship to kilograms. Although… the Space Shuttle was pretty expensive…
Old 11-15-23, 06:07 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I don’t think manufacturing costs have a direct linear relationship to kilograms. Although… the Space Shuttle was pretty expensive…
Lighter framesets require less material to produce, but more work and engineering. Lighter framesets are therefore more expensive. That's probably what Sy Renee meant.
Old 11-15-23, 06:15 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by eduskator
Lighter framesets require less material to produce, but more work and engineering. Lighter framesets are therefore more expensive. That's probably what Sy Renee meant.
oh ok - I thought they were raising an eyebrow about the lower raw material cost vs higher product cost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.