Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rack Q disk brakes and Cannondale

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-24, 12:50 PM
Mugre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The wife and I have started riding our older but new to us Cannondale t-1000. It's from when they were still made by Cannondale USA but it's new enough to have the hangers for a disc brake which we do NOT have. Not having a disc brake, I ordered a blackburn rear rack for non-disc brakes and of course soon found out that I really did need the disc version. Before I order it, I noticed something else. The hole for the racks mount on the left (brake mount) side didn't seem to be threaded for the standard 5mm screws. A close look shows NO threads even though the size of the aperture is about right for a 5mm threading. Before I order anew, I'd like to resolve what's going on here. Is it possible that this is normal for rear triangles set up with the eyelets for disck brakes OR is it possible that Cannondale's QC slipped up when fabricationg the bike? Just to be clear, the derrailer side is threaded and the hole on the left is slightly undersize for 5mm but just by a touch.

Thanks,

Kurt
Old 02-17-24, 05:28 AM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I encountered the same situation on an older Cannondale that we had. As I recall, I just ran a 5mm tap through the smooth hole, which I'm sure a shop could do if you don't have one. Don't know why this would have been intentional in the fabrication, so I guess I'd just assume it was a mistake, but apparently a repeated one.