Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How often do you build a bike? Why?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How often do you build a bike? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 07:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Is it clear or neutral in color?
...it's kind of milky looking when it comes out, but seems to get sucked into the rubber and dries clear. So far the only old, kind of borderline, hoods I've used it on were some Campy gum rubber hoods, that came on a Cinelli SC. It has made them usable enough that I probably will not replace them anytime soon. Not miraculous, but somewhat better than Armor All.
Old 07-06-21, 08:10 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...it's kind of milky looking when it comes out, but seems to get sucked into the rubber and dries clear. So far the only old, kind of borderline, hoods I've used it on were some Campy gum rubber hoods, that came on a Cinelli SC. It has made them usable enough that I probably will not replace them anytime soon. Not miraculous, but somewhat better than Armor All.
Always heard Armor All dries out car dashes so I assume the same for hoods. I use 303 Protectant. Not used for years and years yet so no idea on longevity. Same type of formula as you note, comes out milky white and comes out clear. Spray on and wipe off excess. Gives the hoods I’ve used it on a great nice supple feel.
Old 07-06-21, 08:13 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I was doing SO good on the downsizing too but then all Hell broke loose on the local classifieds and it's been a C & V tall project bike smorgasbord lately. The problem is I'm apparently the only tall person buying so after a few weeks the sellers get desperate and slash their prices to a number I can't refuse. Unfortunately everything I have left to sell is a 25" frame which means I would have to slash MY prices eventually and then I'd probably buy it myself because it was too cheap so it's cheaper to just keep them. It's a vicious circle.
this describes my bike buying, collecting, hoarding to a T. I also ride 25" frames, live in an area that doesn't have a lot of bikes, but nice ones tend to come up for low ish prices and little competition to buy them. They usually sit out there for a bit, then I swoop in and buy them. When it comes to selling, I actually bought a bike back that I sold twice cause the seller was selling it so cheap...he couldnt deal with the friction shifters...

As far as how many do I complete? Thats tough, right now I am interested in newer 9+ Spd Ultegra/Dura Ace bikes that have value in their components and frames, part them for high end groups and wheelsets for my steel builds and sell the excess frame/parts for break even on the whole bike build. This formula has me moving more bikes through the shop, but fewer actual completed builds. I plan to continue to build up a nice stock of great parts and then complete my steel builds as I get more time. Or I may just be collecting some great parts...
Likes For justcynn:
Old 07-07-21, 02:43 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Too many.

Between 1-3 a year at the moment. And pretty much all of them for myself or close friends. Currently I just wrapped up one build (though that's technically two bikes in one thread, one of which isn't finished yet), have a 70's tandem that I want to wrap up later this year, a 1999 hybrid and a 60's lightweight upright bike that has been dormant the past couple of years.
Old 07-08-21, 07:03 AM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
I had sort of settled into a stable of bikes that seemed to do everything I needed in the last few years, but there's always that nagging "N+1" feeling. I know better than to give into the feeling when I know that the usefulness of another bike is in question, but time makes fools of us all. Soon to have a detached garage in my new house, I have a feeling like I'll be purchasing some spare hooks for the wall...

With a month to go before my move to Portland at the end of July, I really needed something to take my mind off of the stress of homebuying and moving logistics. Been riding indexed 9 speed stuff for several years now, haven't had anything with a freewheel or friction shifter since maybe 2016, so naturally I wanted to build up a classic 10 speed. Found this beautiful frame being sold by fender1 and successfully distracted myself for a few weeks on building it up from frame/fork. Rode it twice, and then packed it away. I guess I get to rebuild it again in 3 weeks.

1973 Zeus Competition
Old 07-08-21, 07:35 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
All my bikes, just once, cause their old, and or well used when I get them.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 07-08-21 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-08-21, 07:41 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
I have a Raleigh mk2 awaiting overhaul, a grand prix, and a drop bar conversion in various states 🥸.
I have plenty of other road , touring or vintage mountain bikes that can commute, so there waiting. My motivation is to see how they ride to finish them, however a pretty minty touring bike popped up on face book, then I think of buying again..help 🥸

Last edited by rossiny; 07-12-21 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-08-21, 12:09 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I've only built two bikes, both of which I stripped most/all parts off the frame then built back up with existing or new parts.
1. In 2003 I bought a whole bike (some non-descript steel framed Nishiki MTB) from the sports consignment store 'Cheapskates' for $90 Canadian (CAD). I needed a commuter that wouldn't be of interest to thieves so I stripped it down to the frame, sanded and spray-repainted it, and then put it back together with 1.9" slicks and a few mods I had collected. It wasn't that involved but it was a fun learning experience.
2. Last year I bought another whole bike (spray-bombed MTB) off CL for $175 CAD. I wanted a crusty city cruiser I could lock up and not worry about, but with COVID in full effect I had a lot of extra time on my hands to dig into the bike further than I'd originally anticipated. After stripping down to the frame and removing the previous owners rattle-can spray job, the frame started to reveal it's history. I came back to BF to post photos and lot's of you chimed in with helpful opinions and information. Sure enough I had a '93 Mongoose IBOC Comp. Figured it deserved a refresh so I did just that. Full description here; https://www.bikeforums.net/21762097-post628.html
Old 07-12-21, 01:29 PM
msr_78

Bikes: Too many - most used now Litespeed Gravel & Prorace Hauser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've done it for all but two of my bikes - and I've been through some 18 already.

Some I have had the frame painted, but for most I just assemble them myself, dunno if that counts as a complete build though

The last and ongoing project is have a Kilauea frame (1996) retrofitted with disc tabs - from there it's either return it to a 26/27.5er or go the "gravel" way - (which I actually took some 10 years ago trying to imitate John Tomac when he raced with drop bars on his bike)
Old 07-12-21, 02:52 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Do flippers count? Mine all get stripped to the frame and overhauled from there; pretty much the same as a build from scratch.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-13-21, 09:53 AM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Depends on the year. Since 2013 I purchased about 35. I had to slow down. Last year I purchased 5.
Honestly I only buy Garage Queens. I'm not into painting or repairing rust. I do enjoy relacing the wheels, polishing the components, re-wrapping the bars etc. Now I'm just buying holy grail bikes that are harder to find. That has really slowed things down.

JJ
Old 07-13-21, 03:17 PM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 32 Posts
In the 8 years of me building bikes I think I did about 15 bikes. Some were ground-up restaurations, like my Ard Schenk Gazelle Special and the nearly finished Gazelle Criterium, other were more like "you find an interesting frame" and build them with a nice groupset to either be sold or kept in the collection. Glad I made pictures of all of them, I could make a list. But roughly 2 bikes per year, and the most desirable one, or at least the frame, will hopefully arrive tomorrow!