Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from SW Germany

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from SW Germany

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 11:19 AM
b12t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello from SW Germany

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this forum and got intrigued. Thanks to Covid I recently rediscovered my old love for road cycling after quite a few MTB-only years. I live in Germany, close to Luxembourg and close to France and now also appreciating well kept tarmac wineyard roads alongside singletrails.
Old 03-08-21, 11:22 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Welcome from SW Michigan! We are glad that you found us. What kind of road bike do you have?

Old 03-08-21, 11:25 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Welcome from TEAXS

Old 03-08-21, 11:50 AM
b12t

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Welcome from SW Michigan! We are glad that you found us. What kind of road bike do you have?
Hello and thanks for the welcome! The most recent is a Felt VR5 from 2017 - I just posted a question about the quality of their stock wheels in the General Cycling Discussion.

There is also a cherished 1997 aluminum Concorde Cipressa with a Campagnolo Mirage group and a 1994? steel Peugeot training bike with Shimano 600 components, my very first, which I recently restored. I am in the process of justifying having 3 + a MTB which turns out to be much easier than expected.
Likes For b12t:
Old 03-08-21, 11:52 AM
b12t

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks!
Old 05-11-21, 12:56 PM
LuxBob

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi, just seen your welcome message. You must be pretty close by as I am in Remich. It's a small world!
Old 05-13-21, 12:09 AM
b12t

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LuxBob
Hi, just seen your welcome message. You must be pretty close by as I am in Remich. It's a small world!
Hi Luxbob - many thanks for your message. Indeed a small world - I pass through Remich regularly, it's a beautiful area and love the super smooth Luxembourgish vinyard and country roads around there. Do you happen to have any tips for longer climbs in the region? I started to explore the hills around Saarburg but always happy to learn about alternatives.
Old 05-13-21, 10:44 AM
LuxBob

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I've been doing around Saarburg for the hills and quite like (?) the switchback road running by the chairlift, otherwise I usually just explore the roads coming off the Mosel around the vineyards. Probably not the greatest area for long hill climbs but quite a few ups and downs. I'm enjoying do the river route to Grevenmacher and Trier, when time permits, at the moment.

Just had my vaccination so going to rest up for the next few days!
Old 05-13-21, 11:46 AM
b12t

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I've been doing around Saarburg for the hills and quite like (?) the switchback road running by the chairlift, otherwise I usually just explore the roads coming off the Mosel around the vineyards. Probably not the greatest area for long hill climbs but quite a few ups and downs. I'm enjoying do the river route to Grevenmacher and Trier, when time permits, at the moment.

Just had my vaccination so going to rest up for the next few days!
All the best wishes - I'll try to register on Monday, as here in Saarland Astra Z is accessible for everyone now. Thanks for the tips, I will check the switchback road, did not know about it. For me the climbs from the Saar to Weiten/Freudenburg and Irsch -> Zerf were quite enjoyably challenging. Also decided to try out the roads around Erbeskopf in the coming days which seems to be the highest elevation in the area
Old 05-13-21, 12:58 PM
LuxBob

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just googled Erbeskopf and it looks a really nice area. I know the Weiten/Freudenburg part as I've cycled over to Kastel Staadt a few times.

I'm spoilt when we go back to our place in France in the Auvergne mountains as there are a lot of long climbs. One of my favourites is 20km climb with the first 10km averaging 11%. It's a 50k round trip and I only ever see about 5 cars - but that's central France for you, it's still very wild.
Likes For LuxBob:
Old 05-13-21, 02:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Welcome there is some great bike riding and hiking in SW Germany. It has been a while but I've cycled and hiked in that area. It is beautiful.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-13-21, 02:46 PM
b12t

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just googled Erbeskopf and it looks a really nice area. I know the Weiten/Freudenburg part as I've cycled over to Kastel Staadt a few times.

I'm spoilt when we go back to our place in France in the Auvergne mountains as there are a lot of long climbs. One of my favourites is 20km climb with the first 10km averaging 11%. It's a 50k round trip and I only ever see about 5 cars - but that's central France for you, it's still very wild.
I'm happy to share notes and .gpx after the first Erbeskopf tour if you're interested. What you describe about Auvergne sounds fantastic and pretty much what I am looking forward to do (also knowing traffic in the Vogues in the summer :-). Did some googling and added Massif Central to my wishlist, never been but it looks stunning!
Old 05-14-21, 06:55 AM
LuxBob

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by b12t
I'm happy to share notes and .gpx after the first Erbeskopf tour if you're interested. What you describe about Auvergne sounds fantastic and pretty much what I am looking forward to do (also knowing traffic in the Vogues in the summer :-). Did some googling and added Massif Central to my wishlist, never been but it looks stunning!
I'll have to look into getting a bike gps as I mostly rough out the journey on paper and take that with me. Usually means I get lost but then that's when you discover some great places.
Old 05-15-21, 07:21 AM
b12t

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll have to look into getting a bike gps as I mostly rough out the journey on paper and take that with me. Usually means I get lost but then that's when you discover some great places.
Sure - just discovered the PM function, will send you details there
Old 05-15-21, 07:38 PM
bolgre11

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Schwinn LeTour, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Trek 560, 1985 Trek 510, 1985 Trek 720, 1992 Trek T100, 1993 Trek 990

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello from a world away in Washington State, USA! Vineyard roads sound quite nice, i'd have to drive several hours over the Cascade mountains to get to something close to that around here.
Likes For bolgre11: