Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano BB5500 109.5mm Octalink V1 issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano BB5500 109.5mm Octalink V1 issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 10:45 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
How is the chain line of an Octalink crank and BB going to have the wrong chain line on a road bike?
I'm not intimately familiar with Octalink, but (correct me if wrong) the crank and BB cartridge are separate, and the latter comes in different lengths (to accommodate both doubles and triples), so there may be a mismatch, especially if the bike was bought used. As set up from the factory, it should be perfect. Also, if the outer chainring has been replaced, some chainrings are flat, and some are offset to the outside or inside, that would change things. Perhaps was originally offset to the outside and current chainring is perfectly flat, that would do it.

As with diagnosing most things, you check the easy stuff first. Like in Slingblade (lawnmower won't start) "It's outta gahyess."
Old 01-29-24, 11:05 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I'm not intimately familiar with Octalink, but (correct me if wrong) the crank and BB cartridge are separate, and the latter comes in different lengths (to accommodate both doubles and triples), so there may be a mismatch, especially if the bike was bought used. As set up from the factory, it should be perfect. Also, if the outer chainring has been replaced, some chainrings are flat, and some are offset to the outside or inside, that would change things. Perhaps was originally offset to the outside and current chainring is perfectly flat, that would do it.

As with diagnosing most things, you check the easy stuff first. Like in Slingblade (lawnmower won't start) "It's outta gahyess."
Octalink road came in two widths. If the problem is rubbing the outer chainring, that would only be caused by a chainline too far to the left. If it was the wrong spindle for a double, the crank would be too far to the right, because it would be the 118mm triple spindle.

The difference in chainrings is about 1mm. It is very hard to measure chainline to the exact 1mm from a round seat tube. So a chainline check isn't going to reveal a chainring problem. AND, the Octalink cranks had flat rings. Rings that are offset go the right, so the only "mismatch" of rings would improve the rub, not make it worse.

As I mentioned earlier, chainline concerns are a largely a product of the vast number of ways you can screw up putting together a square taper crank. Octalink, Isis, Hollowtech and other systems largely prevent that from happening because of the limited number of ways the crankset can be assembled.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-30-24, 12:24 AM
Duragrouch

Octalink road came in two widths. If the problem is rubbing the outer chainring, that would only be caused by a chainline too far to the left. If it was the wrong spindle for a double, the crank would be too far to the right, because it would be the 118mm triple spindle.

The difference in chainrings is about 1mm. It is very hard to measure chainline to the exact 1mm from a round seat tube. So a chainline check isn't going to reveal a chainring problem. AND, the Octalink cranks had flat rings. Rings that are offset go the right, so the only "mismatch" of rings would improve the rub, not make it worse.

As I mentioned earlier, chainline concerns are a largely a product of the vast number of ways you can screw up putting together a square taper crank. Octalink, Isis, Hollowtech and other systems largely prevent that from happening because of the limited number of ways the crankset can be assembled.
Your logic is flawless. Respect.
Old 01-30-24, 08:24 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts
If Calvin Jones from Park Tools has a video showing an RD adjustment for the smallest cogs, front and rear, it means Calvin intends me to use that combination. I'll never go against Calvin.
Old 01-30-24, 08:55 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,790 Posts
Hey, if you prefer a noisy drivetrain, I'm good with that. It'll let me hear you coming.

From the Shimano Dealer Manual:

When the chain is in any of the positions shown in the illustration, the chain may come into contact with the chainring or front derailleur and generate noise. If the noise is a problem, shift the chain onto the next largest sprocket or the one after
Old 01-30-24, 09:19 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
You could also wear your jersey backwards and laugh at all of those who tell you it is more comfortable with the zipper in front.
LOL. One of my Pearl Isumi base layers has the tags on the outside at the waist, I always have to make sure I don't wear it inside out...
Old 01-31-24, 12:08 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by chiefkurtz
If Calvin Jones from Park Tools has a video showing an RD adjustment for the smallest cogs, front and rear, it means Calvin intends me to use that combination. I'll never go against Calvin.
"I feel that if Jacques Pepin shows you how to make an omelet, the matter is pretty much settled. That's God talking." - Anthony Bourdain
Old 01-31-24, 02:44 PM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Calvin and Jacques are two whose authority I'll never question. I do understand folks talking about non recommended gearing. I'm a vintage bike rider. This bike is a 1987 2x8, not a newer 10, 11, or 12. I did mention that in the OP. I believe non recommended gearing is a 'thing' with 10s, 11s, and 12s.
Old 01-31-24, 02:47 PM
smd4

If you're a "vintage" bike rider, then you know cross-chaining has been advised against for decades.
Old 01-31-24, 05:33 PM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Yes, and since it's NEVER been an issue with me, on any of my bikes, for decades, I've given it the consideration it warrants; none.
Old 01-31-24, 05:44 PM
smd4

Very good then.