Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 11:33 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree, the CAAD10-5 has great performance, and i enjoy mine as well.
Old 03-21-12, 11:43 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
I did however convert the RS10 wheels to tubeless and running the Hutchinson Fusion 3 with stans kit. I am riding 95psi in the front and 100 in the rear. About 10-15 PSI lower than before. The handling is much better as the quality of the tire is so much better. The ride is noticable smoother. It really smoothes out the cracks and uneven pavement. Leaving my development the front gate has cobblestone pavers near the guard house. It was a good test and you can really tell the improvement there.
Hmmm, tubeless RS10s. That might be fun experiment. Did you go with 23c or 25c tires (or something else)? Any concerns with catastrophic blowouts (i.e. the tire bead separates and go flat fast)? Have you carved any corners at speed (like 25-30mph)? I keep reading about the "problems" with road tubeless that I'm leery of giving it a try.
Old 03-21-12, 08:01 PM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my battle between CAAD10 3 (Ultegra) and CAAD10 5 (105), I went to LBS today. They don't stock CAAD10 3's, so they had me ride 2011 SuperSix's in 105 and Ultegra, since they're basically the same bike w/ diff frame (they share parts with the CAAD10s: groupset + crank + wheelset; just different frame). Honestly couldn't really tell the difference in shifting performance, or at all really...althought all I did was ride around a couple blocks. How does one justify the extra $600 for the Ultegra bike? I was originally just going to get the CAAD10 5 but figured it'd just make me want to upgrade to Ultegra eventually...but now I'm not sure why I should spend $600 more.

Also, they told me 2013 bikes don't come in until actual 2013, not August/September like I've been told before...

What are your guys' thoughts?

Last edited by FPSDavid; 03-21-12 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 08:27 PM
Pinkbullet3
   

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What groupset do you have on your CAAD8?

With $600 you can buy a new wheelset (which is, in fact, a definite improvement over the RS10s as stated by the Boyd Vitesse owners a few posts ago). Otherwise, I'm guessing you're just paying for a lighter groupset (dunno about possible improved shifting quality). Which of the colors do you like?

And typically, new frames coming into LBSs vary from LBS to LBS. Those with more business in a larger/cycling-popular town will for sure bring in the 2013 models in around August/September as you have stated, as there are people out there who are willing to put money down for the latest and greatest. The LBS that I got my 2011 CAAD10 from (in January of this year) said they won't be getting the 2012 models until Spring, when cycling season is session.
Old 03-21-12, 08:57 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't notice the difference then no need to get Ultegra.

I've had many bikes with 105 and as soon as I tried Ultegra once I knew I was never going back. For me I try to get Ultegra whenever possible just because it feels more polished to me.
Old 03-21-12, 09:03 PM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkbullet3
What groupset do you have on your CAAD8?

With $600 you can buy a new wheelset (which is, in fact, a definite improvement over the RS10s as stated by the Boyd Vitesse owners a few posts ago). Otherwise, I'm guessing you're just paying for a lighter groupset (dunno about possible improved shifting quality). Which of the colors do you like?

And typically, new frames coming into LBSs vary from LBS to LBS. Those with more business in a larger/cycling-popular town will for sure bring in the 2013 models in around August/September as you have stated, as there are people out there who are willing to put money down for the latest and greatest. The LBS that I got my 2011 CAAD10 from (in January of this year) said they won't be getting the 2012 models until Spring, when cycling season is session.
My CAAD8 has a combo of Tiagra (shifters, rear derailleur) and Sora (crankset, front derailleur). Maddux DRX 4000 wheelset.

Originally Posted by todayilearned
If you can't notice the difference then no need to get Ultegra.

I've had many bikes with 105 and as soon as I tried Ultegra once I knew I was never going back. For me I try to get Ultegra whenever possible just because it feels more polished to me.
What difference did/do you notice?

I was going to get the 105, but knowing myself I'd probably hold onto it for a year or two and end up getting the Ultegra eventually anyways...but now I don't know!

Last edited by FPSDavid; 03-21-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 09:58 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FPSDavid
My CAAD8 has a combo of Tiagra (shifters, rear derailleur) and Sora (crankset, front derailleur). Maddux DRX 4000 wheelset.

What difference did/do you notice?

I was going to get the 105, but knowing myself I'd probably hold onto it for a year or two and end up getting the Ultegra eventually anyways...but now I don't know!
For me the differences is in the RD and Shifters. The Shifters on 105 feel a bit rougher in finish and the shifts are precise but a bit rough. I've had 5 bikes with 105 and all were tuned up.

Ultegra on the other hand... the shifters feel a bit more solid and the shifts are like butter no matter. It's a very smooth transition but I can feel that very slight difference.
Old 03-21-12, 10:39 PM
Pinkbullet3
   

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for the 105. You could probably find a used Ultegra group 7-8 months down the road if you want to swap or something.
Old 03-21-12, 10:49 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for the 105. You could probably find a used Ultegra group 7-8 months down the road if you want to swap or something.
^ +1

I've posted this numerous times so everyone is probably tired of reading it again but I picked up an Ultegra 6700 take off for $400. The seller was an SRAM guy and didn't want it at all.

It takes time but the right deal will pop up eventually.
Old 03-21-12, 11:53 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra is lighter... I've said elsewhere that 105 rear shifting feels the same as Ultegra to me. Front shifting Ultegra is slightly better. If you're not racing, I'd bet 105 will be just as good for all intents and purposes except for lesser bling factor! If you care more about saving money than bling factor, 105 is great.
Old 03-25-12, 11:34 AM
speedemon

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked this up last week as I'll add this in with my Seven & Litespeed Titanium's. It came in absolutely mint condition. Original came with full Tiagra and the Shimano WH-R500 wheelset as I replaced it with my spare set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Just fabulous color I love which in the Patriot Blue:

Old 03-25-12, 11:38 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice CAAD8 bike, i like the blue as well.
Old 03-25-12, 01:54 PM
Pinkbullet3
   

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That blue and the 2009 CAAD9's blue are very sexy.

Old 03-25-12, 02:17 PM
speedemon

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice Ride, I love that blue. Altough I have 2 ti bikes it's nice to have one that has paint on it. I'm ecstatic that I was able to get my Canny as mint as it was for the price I paid.
Old 03-25-12, 04:12 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Although it is more of a dark navy blue in real life (without camera flash), I completely agree!

Old 03-25-12, 08:35 PM
shabbis

Bikes: Cannondale six13, On-One Dirty Disco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2005 Cannondale six13 R5000 Dura Ace. I know it's old, but I keep coming back to this bike, I just can't put enough miles on it. It's been through everything, including three accidents. I know, flip the stem, drop it, or whatever, it's now my commuter bike, so I'll just leave it alone. Below is a picture from when it was new:

Old 03-25-12, 09:10 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
Although it is more of a dark navy blue in real life (without camera flash), I completely agree!

nice wheels! i see my advice sunk in

i cant wait to see the eps/bora equipped look.
Old 03-26-12, 01:34 PM
High_Climber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I know this is a CAAD thread, but I wanted to know your opinions on choosing between two bikes. The first is the CAAD10-5, and the contender is the Felt AR5. At two different local bikes stores, they differ in price by $500 before any haggling. I'm interested in triathlons mainly, but don't think I'm ready for a full-on tri-bike as I want to be able to compete in some criteriums as well. Same component groups, carbon vs. aluminum frame and the AR is the "aero road bike" design which seems to be appealing for solo-riding like in a tri. I've ridden both, and they both feel/fit well.Thanks for your input!
Old 03-26-12, 02:50 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High_Climber
So I know this is a CAAD thread, but I wanted to know your opinions on choosing between two bikes. The first is the CAAD10-5, and the contender is the Felt AR5. At two different local bikes stores, they differ in price by $500 before any haggling. I'm interested in triathlons mainly, but don't think I'm ready for a full-on tri-bike as I want to be able to compete in some criteriums as well. Same component groups, carbon vs. aluminum frame and the AR is the "aero road bike" design which seems to be appealing for solo-riding like in a tri. I've ridden both, and they both feel/fit well.Thanks for your input!
(trying to be unbiased...)

assuming USD, the MSRP on the CAAD is $830 less than the Felt so it sounds like you'd be getting a great deal on the latter. Have you raced before (tri or road) at all? If yes and you know that you're destined for mostly against-the-clock races, then use that info; consider the geometry of each again, in your size. Consider you'll most likely want to attach aerobars at some point, and for that you might like a shorter headtube length. A steeper seat tube angle can also be important. The CAAD can be more aggressive in these respects, depending on the frame size.

if it's all the same to you, get the CAAD and use the saved $$ for aerobars and wheels, or save up for a TT bike
Old 03-26-12, 03:17 PM
High_Climber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your quick reply! I'm leaning towards the CAAD in size 60 or 63. I'm 6'5" and my inseam is right around 36". It seems like either frame would fit ok, so I'm thinking the 60 with a 3cm shorter head tube might be better for a more aggressive posture so that my elbows aren't placed too high. Also, I've been shocked at how expensive some of these wheels are! The 105 seemed to shift just fine, and as I'm 195lbs, I'm not worried about shaving ounces off the bike with a higher groupset. I've heard that wheels are your best first upgrade, but are aerowheels like a pair of zipp404's really worth doubling the cost of the bike in a race?
Old 03-26-12, 05:20 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but are aerowheels like a pair of zipp404's really worth doubling the cost of the bike in a race?
Depends on your priorities. You can certainly have a lot of fun, race well, and even win, on the stock wheels of any bike. On the other hand, of course deep rim wheels have their place. I wouldn't recommend buying any w/o first riding the stock wheels for a while, and maybe see if you can borrow wheels from friends (or a shop) to try out for a ride.

fwiw, I'd argue that while wheels may be the best first upgrade for a bike, a professional fitting is the best first "upgrade" for a rider. Also, in the TT/Tri game, a TT helmet that interfaces well with your body/position can be more effective than aero wheels.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-12, 06:47 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slynkie
Depends on your priorities. You can certainly have a lot of fun, race well, and even win, on the stock wheels of any bike. On the other hand, of course deep rim wheels have their place. I wouldn't recommend buying any w/o first riding the stock wheels for a while, and maybe see if you can borrow wheels from friends (or a shop) to try out for a ride.

fwiw, I'd argue that while wheels may be the best first upgrade for a bike, a professional fitting is the best first "upgrade" for a rider. Also, in the TT/Tri game, a TT helmet that interfaces well with your body/position can be more effective than aero wheels.

Good luck!

Are the Aerowheels strong enough, or can be built strong enough for a Clyde?
Old 03-26-12, 06:53 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve
Are the Aerowheels strong enough, or can be built strong enough for a Clyde?
yes
Old 03-27-12, 06:57 PM
High_Climber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So now I'm comparing the CAAD 10-5,4,3....I've heard great things about the 10-4 over the 105, mostly due to the fact that last year it featured the force crank and weighed a full pound lighter. The one 10-5 that I test rode actually didn't shift as well as a tiagra-fitted Caad8. The LBS said it was probably just out of tune from customers messing with it on the floor. So the question is, I'm leaning towards the 10-5, but am I going to regret not going ultegra or rival? Does the 105 groupset perform well enough to race on and not have to spend much time on tuning it? Jumping up to the ultegra model gets you the carbon FSA crank, kyrsium wheels, better brakes. But is it worth $700??The only thing I really have against the rival is that both color choices for 2012 suck in my opinion. I really like both white versions of the 105 and ultegra as far as paint is concerned.
Old 03-27-12, 07:22 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So now I'm comparing the CAAD 10-5,4,3....I've heard great things about the 10-4 over the 105, mostly due to the fact that last year it featured the force crank and weighed a full pound lighter. The one 10-5 that I test rode actually didn't shift as well as a tiagra-fitted Caad8. The LBS said it was probably just out of tune from customers messing with it on the floor. So the question is, I'm leaning towards the 10-5, but am I going to regret not going ultegra or rival? Does the 105 groupset perform well enough to race on and not have to spend much time on tuning it? Jumping up to the ultegra model gets you the carbon FSA crank, kyrsium wheels, better brakes. But is it worth $700??The only thing I really have against the rival is that both color choices for 2012 suck in my opinion. I really like both white versions of the 105 and ultegra as far as paint is concerned.
We're having the 105 versus Ultegra discussion again?

It was probably true that the 105 bike was out of adjustment; to me 105 and Ultegra are about the same on rear shifts but the front shifts on Ultegra are better. I have last generation 105 (5600) on my CAAD9 and haven't had to do any adjustment at all in about the last 2 years. Might be time for new cables and cable housing once it starts to be a little draggy...

I've never ridden Rival but have a Red bike, and to me it's a matter of whether you like double-tap and whether the overall weight is important or not. I'm dubious that most people could notice a half pound to pound worth of non-rotating weight while JRA. I'm not a fan of double-tap as it's easy to mis-shift to a harder gear when you are trying to get into an easy gear. The more tired I am, the more likely a mis-shift which is also the most inopportune time.

The main thing you are paying for at the higher specs is less weight, IMHO. Crank arms and crank spindles are stiff enough that the frame will deflect first. If it's Mavic Ksyrium wheels and not Aksium, those might be a little nicer than the Shimano RS-10 though I believe the RS-10 hubs use cup and cone bearings which should be easy to service and keep smooth. Switch out the Tektro stock pads for Dura-Ace or SwissStop or KoolStop aftermarket pads to improve breaking power on the 105 bike (this is assuming the 105 bike has Tektro brakes and not 105 brakes).

If you have the money to burn, it's nice to have the higher spec'd bike. If you are the frugal type, maybe the 105 bike will do the job and save you some bucks. If you can afford it, spend the money upfront if you prefer the bling because it's nicer to just get the bike and ride it, IMHO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.