Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 08:54 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have the 2012 10-4 and the Rival works smoothly for me. I ride the 10-5 but the frame was a 58cm and I need a 56cm. the shifting of a 105 is smooth, too. I really doubt you can tell the difference of the two group sets when riding them. I like the Rival crank though, over the FSA on the 10-5. If the Gulf Oil Racing blue and orange paint colourway isn't your cup of tea get the clear anodized 10-4, it is even lighter than the painted version by a few grams. Any of the CAAD 10 are great bicycles for my money. If you an get the 10-3 Ultegra I's stretch the money for the better wheels it has and the fact that the Ultegra measures up to the Dura Ace in many respects save the overall weight. Just my .02 cents.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-28-12, 06:17 PM
Tavish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would would you pay for a lightly used Caad8 frameset? I used to have one
Old 03-30-12, 08:37 AM
High_Climber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you guys say that $1500 is a good price for a new 2012 CAAD10-5? The retail is $1670. Do you think I'm going to offend the LBS if I lowball a little and ask $1300 hoping to get it for $1400?
Old 03-30-12, 08:47 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by High_Climber
Would you guys say that $1500 is a good price for a new 2012 CAAD10-5? The retail is $1670. Do you think I'm going to offend the LBS if I lowball a little and ask $1300 hoping to get it for $1400?
Some shops are advertising that $1500 price so try for $100 off if they need to order it. 2013 models are still a little ways off. Is the bike in their inventory? I paid full retail but in the end I had big discounts on merchandise. I bought a full kit and sidi shoes and keo 2 max pedals that were discounted. Although would have been much cheaper to get the pedals online.
Old 03-30-12, 10:04 AM
High_Climber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'5" so I think I'm going to need a 60 or 63cm size frame which means they will have to order it. If not, maybe I can get some shoes/cleats/computer/cages bottles for a really good price if I buy with the bike. I've heard they run good deals around this time of year for a lot of the MS rides, and then again around Dec. when the next years' models come out.
Old 03-30-12, 10:27 AM
Pinkbullet3
   

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
Although would have been much cheaper to get the pedals online.
This is the thing that always bothers me... My conscience tells me to go support my LBS and buy items $75+ there, but at the same time I can't see myself spending MSRP (or a little under if discounts are thrown in) when I can save a buttload buying online.

Back and forth forever.
Old 03-30-12, 11:41 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkbullet3
Back and forth forever.
Just give the LBS the chance to match the price+shipping. Often thay can come really close.
Old 03-30-12, 11:59 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
My LBS had the 10-5 for $1100, and I picked up my 2012 10-4 for $1400, if you're in northern california I can point you their way

This is the thing that always bothers me... My conscience tells me to go support my LBS and buy items $75+ there, but at the same time I can't see myself spending MSRP (or a little under if discounts are thrown in) when I can save a buttload buying online.

Back and forth forever.

Personally, I think building a good relationship with the lbs is always a plus. That way, if you get your friends into it, you can take them there and sometimes get slightly better service just because they already know you, and sometimes you get freebies thrown in too. My shop adjusts my bike for me for free, and I've taken it in a few times already. Also, good to keep the local bike shops in business. If everyone starts going online, more shops will have to close their doors except for larger ones like REI and Sports Basement. I'd rather see more independent LBS, since I've always had a better experience there than at larger stores.
Old 04-02-12, 10:09 AM
High_Climber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well today I joined the Cult! I ordered a 63cm 2012 CAAD 10-5 in team white/blue/green. I also bought some Look Keo Plus pedals and some shoes. One thing I can't decide on though is the computer! One that sticks out is the Cateye Strada with Cadence. It's wired and goes to the rear wheel for speed/cadence. The other is a Cateye Strada Wireless. Is it difficult to conceal a wire on a white bike that runs from the front all the way to the back under the main tube? If I ever got a trainer, the rear sensor would be nice and fit the budget better than a double wireless. Also, the wireless sensor is a bit beefy since it has to house an additional battery. Would it look clunky on that white fork? I'm not entirely sold on needing cadence. I just want something that will look clean and provide basic functions. Any suggestions??? I am counting the hours until it gets here!!
Old 04-02-12, 11:45 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my limited experience with road cycling I find that cadence is the most important thing I pay attention to. It really helps me keep a steady heartrate and learning when I need to be swithcing gears. I opted for a garmin unit with a wahoo fitness speed/cadence. Looks really clean without wires. I have the same frame.
Old 04-02-12, 12:45 PM
ob1left

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm eyeing the Boyd Vitesse wheelset. Can anyone comment on how the wider rim equates to extra rolling resistance?
Old 04-02-12, 12:54 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well today I joined the Cult! I ordered a 63cm 2012 CAAD 10-5 in team white/blue/green. I also bought some Look Keo Plus pedals and some shoes. One thing I can't decide on though is the computer! One that sticks out is the Cateye Strada with Cadence. It's wired and goes to the rear wheel for speed/cadence. The other is a Cateye Strada Wireless. Is it difficult to conceal a wire on a white bike that runs from the front all the way to the back under the main tube? If I ever got a trainer, the rear sensor would be nice and fit the budget better than a double wireless. Also, the wireless sensor is a bit beefy since it has to house an additional battery. Would it look clunky on that white fork? I'm not entirely sold on needing cadence. I just want something that will look clean and provide basic functions. Any suggestions??? I am counting the hours until it gets here!!
I prefer a double wireless system to measure speed and cadence. I have two Cateye V2C computers on a couple of bikes and a wired Cateye Astrale 8 (speed and cadence) on another bike. All 3 work fine, but the wired computer runs cables from the head unit, down the down tube, and along the chainstay. I prefer the wireless setup, but the wired is on an old beater that I didn't want to put more money into. If you don't need cadence, a wired setup to a speed sensor on the front fork will be less wiring and cleaner than the double wired setup.

Enjoy the new bike, and don't forget to post pics when it comes in!
Old 04-02-12, 01:16 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ob1left
I'm eyeing the Boyd Vitesse wheelset. Can anyone comment on how the wider rim equates to extra rolling resistance?
Actually, the wider rim is supposed to create more of a U-shaped tire that has a better contact patch and lower rolling resistance versus the narrow rim making more of a lightbulb shaped tire with a worse contact patch and higher rolling resistance.

This from the Hed cycling website addressing the advantage of wider rims:
In 2006 Steve became rather dissatisfied with the interaction between the rim and the tire. By this time the 23mm tire had become the standard choice for nearly every cyclist. However, Steve noticed that combining a wider tire with a narrow rim simply did not make any sense. Aerodynamically, the narrow 19mm rim and a 23mm tire created a light bulb shaped profile. Needless to say, this is just not very efficient and leads to increased wind drag. Steve simply invented a solution and Hed's C2 technology was born. C2 technology has its maximum effect on clincher tires by solving the problem of the tires requiring extreme pressure to keep them from flopping over the rim during a turn. This high pressure also leads to deficiencies in cornering performance and comfort. By making the rim edge wider, C2 allows the tire to flow almost perfectly into the rim shape, ushering in a revolutionary step forward in aerodynamic performance. Although, the benefits of C2 design go even further. The wider tire mount also creates a larger contact patch with the road which distributes load better and lowers speed-sapping rolling resistance. All said, C2 technology improves aerodynamics, increases the road/tire contact patch for better cornering grip, decreases rolling resistance, and allows the wheel to be more comfortably ridden at a lower tire pressure. Not a bad improvement.

Also, more info here: https://flocycling.blogspot.com/2011/...art-4-flo.html

On the left is the wider rim, the contact patch is wider but shorter, whereas on the right is a narrow rim with a narrower but longer contact patch. The longer contact patch can increase rolling resistance.
Old 04-02-12, 02:20 PM
ob1left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Milkbaby, Thanks for that very thorough explanation! I think I'm going to order them tonight!
Old 04-02-12, 04:45 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ you won't be disappointed. Post pics when you put 'em on!
Old 04-04-12, 07:25 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, Soma Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's my horse. have taken her out on a couple of rides, and absolutely love being on top of this thing. so glad i joined the "cult"

Old 04-04-12, 08:28 AM
Pinkbullet3
   

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cinemattic
here's my horse. have taken her out on a couple of rides, and absolutely love being on top of this thing. so glad i joined the "cult"

Just curious, how much were you able to find the Force groupset for?
Old 04-04-12, 11:05 AM
TriCaad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, newbie around here but just bought a Caad 10 105. I'm looking forward to getting it and having my first ride..
Old 04-04-12, 12:27 PM
ob1left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I just ordered the Vitesse wheelset for my CAAD9-5. Now comes the wait. This is going to be rough. The site says "Orders placed now will be shipping around end of April." Ahhhhh!
Old 04-04-12, 05:57 PM
venomxtf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought this white 2009 CAAD9 slightly used (~400 miles on it) as my first real road bike. Going to take it to a LBS to get fitted next week. Frame might actually be one size too big, I'm 6 foot tall but with short (about 31") inseam. Anyone need a 58cm CAAD9 frame that's near NYC?

Dura-Ace group
SRAM Red Compact Crank
Ultegra Brakes
Wheelbuilder Wheels with Powertap Elite+ Hub
Garmin 705
Selle Italia Flite Team Saddle
FSA SL-K Seatpost
Easton EA50 Aero Bars
Ritchey WCS260 Stem
Look Keo Carbon Ti Pedals
Old 04-05-12, 07:13 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, Soma Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, how much were you able to find the Force groupset for?
bought the bike complete with force on it. whole thing with shipping was around 1400. had to replace both tires and tubes, put on a new wheel strip, and throw the pedals on. but the dude i got it from had the force group on it. absolutely love everything about it
Old 04-05-12, 07:25 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Cinemattic,
Really sweet looking CAAD 10 Force. I like that red and white colourway. sounds like a good price to me.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-05-12, 09:37 PM
mikeE46

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got my racing bike. CAAD9 R6
And I paid $500. NICE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
caad9.jpg (98.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 04-06-12, 09:50 PM
E_N

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought a 10 5 today. didn't have time to ride today because i am picking up my pedals tomorrow from a friend. i'm so excited gonna spend this whole easter weekend in the saddle. hopefully i can do some climbing and put a century on the bike.
Old 04-06-12, 10:28 PM
Tavish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just finished swapping frames... sorry about the pics they aren't very good and it was late.... This is going to be my steed for racing this season.

Full DA
FSA K- Force Crank
Kyserium SSC SL training wheelset
FSA cockpit
FSA k force light seatpost
Selle Italia SLK gel flow

Attached Images
100MEDIA_IMAG0314.jpg (97.4 KB, 99 views)
100MEDIA_IMAG0317.jpg (27.8 KB, 82 views)
100MEDIA_IMAG0315.jpg (97.9 KB, 70 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.