Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where to find spoke clamps for reflectors?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 10:53 AM
geph0007 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, I have a few late 70s to mid 80s Raleigh and Motobecane road bikes that use pretty much the same white or black spoke clamp to hold the wheel reflectors on. Where do I find replacements?? Is anyone reproducing them? I see a pair on Ebay for $22. I think not. Just asking. Thanks

Last edited by geph0007; 02-09-23 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-09-23, 11:28 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
This may or may not help, but there are a few in my trash can every time I overhaul a bike.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-09-23, 12:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I'm remembering these being a sort of a maybe D-shaped plastic nut with a groove for the spoke, easily fabricated(?).

Not going to be a lot of demand, but I myself do sometimes prefer to retain original reflectors if/when it is convenient to do so. Maybe someone would go to the trouble of 3D-printing a batch of them, however unlikely (though not hard to do).

More often, I install relatively modern, svelte wheel reflectors made of clear plastic (the very slender ones held on with a single plastic quarter-turn screw). The industry has sadly had to replace these with "winged" monstrosities (that are intended to bridge the span on low-spoke-count wheels).

Old 02-09-23, 12:31 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
geph0007 I can't help you find the clamps for your reflectors, but I can forward this.
If the cheap plastic clamp holding your spoke mounted reflector fails during a ride and the reflector slips and rotates.
You could be looking at an accident, broken spokes, or both.
Old 02-09-23, 02:33 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I use velcro wheel reflectors that I bought from Rivendell.
Old 02-09-23, 02:57 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Maybe try a bike co-op type place if there is one near you. The "Recyclery" near me had zillions of old wheels and miscellaneous parts.
Old 02-09-23, 03:17 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

had some lying aboot har sumwharz but the cat decided to place them in its eye...last have seen of 'em

see be yeah

-----
Old 02-09-23, 03:24 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
geph0007 I can't help you find the clamps for your reflectors, but I can forward this.
If the cheap plastic clamp holding your spoke mounted reflector fails during a ride and the reflector slips and rotates.
You could be looking at an accident, broken spokes, or both.
Always good to think about safety!

Thankfully, while I've had several wheel reflectors manage to "part company" while riding, they always became brittle when contact was made with the stationary fork legs, chainstays or whatever they contacted, followed by a "snap" sort of sound.
I suspect that the reflector's designer may have tested them for any ability to stop or to damage the wheel and spokes.

The worst outcome came when I literally test-rode my 45-lb, $200, 27.5"wheel, 2016ish Mongoose Hondo mid-fat sort of bike on my post-purchase ride out of the store. The tires were nearly flat, leading me to immediately downshift (toward the spokes), whereupon the rear wheel reflector (mounted to the right side of the wheel, doh!) contacted the rear derailer roughly and luckily didn't seriously bend the flimsy mechanism. Lesson learned about riding a K-Mart bike out of the store (although I did ride the three miles home on it with about eight psi in the 2.6" tires).
I later removed the reflectors, and also replaced the horrible Chinese twist shifters, all-steel crankset and brake levers, added fork boots, suspension post, beer/lock carrier rack, 10mm solid rear axle and so on until the bike was actually somewhat good for real off-road riding adventures.
EDIT: Recalling now that I replaced nearly every part of that bike, save for the fork, headset, calipers, front derailer and wheels.

Last edited by dddd; 02-10-23 at 12:08 AM.