Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PSA, Inflate tire to 80% psi

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

PSA, Inflate tire to 80% psi

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-23, 08:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
properly inflated fast tires feel like very little. Because they conform.
Why would I want to feel very little? I want to feel as much as possible!
Old 05-20-23, 08:57 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I'm skeptical of ALL of the tire info I read. Riding sewups I never used a gauge, then when I recently switched to a bike with tubes I started following the various charts, all of which put me under max by quite a bit. I read all of the advice, followed it, felt that my bike was really draggy. One day I pumped up to 100% and dropped 5 minutes off my daily half-hour commute. Immediately and consistently, not a one-up. It's a little stiff, but I came from sewups to 35mm tires, so c'mon, how bad is it really? Screw the charts, screw the people who are saying my tires aren't in contact a lot of the time and therefore I'm losing and don't know it: the clock don't lie, and I'm less beat when I get there.

Last edited by mdarnton; 05-20-23 at 09:01 AM.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 05-20-23, 09:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Enjoying the way a bike feels is as good a reason as any to choose a pressure. We don't all need optimal speed, grip, tire life or whatever factors the mavens consider when coming up with charts. It's smart to start with the expert advice, then run with the subjective as far as you like.
Old 05-20-23, 09:29 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by mdarnton
i'm skeptical of all of the tire info i read…i read all of the advice, followed it, felt that my bike was really draggy. One day i pumped up to 100% and dropped 5 minutes off my daily half-hour commute…screw the charts…
amen!
Old 05-20-23, 09:34 AM
smd4

Why are you talking about speed?
I’m not the one who brought speed into the discussion. I merely addressed the subject by the guy who did.

Last edited by smd4; 05-20-23 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-20-23, 11:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Some people think all roads are chip seal with 3/4" or bigger aggregate. In such conditions and even with 1/2" size aggregate, I do lower my tire pressure. However most of the roads around here are made with very much finer aggregate, not much bigger than just sand, in the top layer. So I too have found that higher tire pressure than the "never wrong" tire pressure calculators that don't take everything into account, lets me be ever so slightly faster with less strain on my leg muscles.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-20-23 at 11:14 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-20-23, 04:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Some people think all roads are chip seal with 3/4" or bigger aggregate. In such conditions and even with 1/2" size aggregate, I do lower my tire pressure. However most of the roads around here are made with very much finer aggregate, not much bigger than just sand, in the top layer. So I too have found that higher tire pressure than the "never wrong" tire pressure calculators that don't take everything into account, lets me be ever so slightly faster with less strain on my leg muscles.
One reason I like the Silca pressure calculator, which allows you to choose the road surface. Though I still add 5psi to whatever it tells me :-)
Old 05-21-23, 12:24 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Why would I want to feel very little? I want to feel as much as possible!
Why don't you ride an aero aluminum frame with high profile carbon rims then? That would maximize the road feel to the nth power.
Old 05-21-23, 12:26 AM
elcruxio

I’m not the one who brought speed into the discussion. I merely addressed the subject by the guy who did.
But you did, by claiming your tires weren't slow. Yet if you ride them hard as solid rubber tires, they are going to be slow.
Old 05-21-23, 06:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
But you did, by claiming your tires weren't slow. Yet if you ride them hard as solid rubber tires, they are going to be slow.
No; the reason solid tires are slow is because of hysteresis losses in the tire material. A pneumatic tire has far less solid material, and correspondingly lower hysteresis losses. A high pressure can lower rolling resistance, but depending on the road surface, at the expense of comfort and control.
Old 05-21-23, 07:16 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
The advice in that link is stupid. Most passenger cars use a pressure closer to 30psi, not 40. 40 will increase gas mileage at the sacrifice of breaking and turning traction.
Not true any more, wider, low profile tires use higher pressures. The wife's minivan with 17" rims uses 40psi, tires say 44psi but the door panel says different. Mine minivan (same make/model) with 16" wheels uses 35psi, 3psi below the tire recommendation. While my miata's tires say max of 50psi on 17" wheels, car says 40, but the usual driver recommendation is 30psi since the car weights 2300lbs and literally bounces around the road at higher, and screw tread life, its all about the handling.

Oh, there's a difference. You just can't feel it, apparently. I don't want my tires to "conform to the road." That's too much friction. If I want my ride to feel mushy, I'll ride a mountain bike with tires at 40 psi.
at 280lbs even I don't run my tires that high anymore, 35/30, all about tires conforming to the surface. Interesting to me is that I used to run 26x1.95 at 50psi in my 20s and dented so many wheels, had lousy times in races and really poor handling ability. Didn't mtb in my 30s except on the cross bike from time to time. Picked up a modern 29er running 2.25 and not only do I have faster times but I ride much more technical terrain and have yet to dent a rim. I find MTBing much more enjoyable now.
Old 05-21-23, 09:17 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not true any more, wider, low profile tires use higher pressures. The wife's minivan with 17" rims uses 40psi, tires say 44psi but the door panel says different. Mine minivan (same make/model) with 16" wheels uses 35psi, 3psi below the tire recommendation. While my miata's tires say max of 50psi on 17" wheels, car says 40, but the usual driver recommendation is 30psi since the car weights 2300lbs and literally bounces around the road at higher, and screw tread life, its all about the handling.
The 2020 and 2023 Mazda Miata manual says 29 psi. What do you mean "the car says 40?"

The pressure you use is the one on the door panel and in the manual. Not the one on the tire, or some fictional third pressure you've invented between the two.

As with bikes, tire pressure is set in proportion to the weight on the axle, adjusted for tire volume. So a 4000lbs minivan will have a higher psi than a sports car for the same 225R17 tire size, just as a heavy rider will use a higher air pressure in his 700x19c tires than a lighter rider. Larger volume tires require lower pressures to create the same pneumatic 'pre-load' as a smaller tire.

Beyond that, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. But I suggest you read your car manual.
Old 05-21-23, 09:48 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
One of my conundrums: I feel there is conflicting evidence for lower tire pressures being beneficial. These two sources seem to indicate that higher pressures create less rolling resistance.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/resist...ce/?scope=anon
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-tr-comparison
Additionally, in all of Bicycle Roiling Resistance's road tire tests resistance is reduced with increasing pressure. I'm not a subscriber and some of the results are shielded but that's true from their extra high to ultra high pressure categories.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-23, 10:06 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
One of my conundrums: I feel there is conflicting evidence for lower tire pressures being beneficial. These two sources seem to indicate that higher pressures create less rolling resistance.
Additionally, in all of Bicycle Roiling Resistance's road tire tests resistance is reduced with increasing pressure. I'm not a subscriber and some of the results are shielded but that's true from their extra high to ultra high pressure categories.

Thoughts?
Rolling resistance is lower on smooth surfaces at higher pressure.

Bikes don't ride on perfectly smooth surfaces. Recommended real-world pressures are designed to give the tire about 15% deflection when loaded, which is enough spring to absorb minor bumps and not force the entire suspensionless road bike have to go up and over every pebble, and subsequently decelerate from having to do so.

That's just the rolling resistance aspect, ignoring braking and cornering traction.

Riding on an Olympic track? By all means, increase your pressure over road recommendations.
Old 05-21-23, 10:07 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts

Thoughts?
True. And solid freight train rolling stock has the lowest rolling resistance of all. The whole discussion is about finding the balance between competing nominals.

Maybe SMD has unusually high quality, clean streets. Like those of a velodrome or the surface of a swimming pool. In which case, he might be on to something. For the rest of us, the balance between tire load, width (height, really) and pressure is a moving target based on ever changing use cases.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-21-23, 10:23 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Rolling resistance is lower on smooth surfaces at higher pressure.

Bikes don't ride on perfectly smooth surfaces. Recommended real-world pressures are designed to give the tire about 15% deflection when loaded, which is enough spring to absorb minor bumps and not force the entire suspensionless road bike have to go up and over every pebble, and subsequently decelerate from having to do so.

That's just the rolling resistance aspect, ignoring braking and cornering traction.

Riding on an Olympic track? By all means, increase your pressure over road recommendations.
Originally Posted by base2
True. And solid freight train rolling stock has the lowest rolling resistance of all. The whole discussion is about finding the balance between competing nominals.

Maybe SMD has unusually high quality, clean streets. Like those of a velodrome or the surface of a swimming pool. In which case, he might be on to something. For the rest of us, the balance between tire load, width (height, really) and pressure is a moving target based on ever changing use cases.
I understand what both of you are saying. I've read about the 15% deflection and the idea that the tire conforms to the irregularities in the road rather than lifting the entire load. Yet, all referenced tests were on a diamond plate surface which is not smooth. In fact, the Outside article chose it to simulate asphalt roads. In these controlled studies on a irregular surface, higher pressure was less resistance. I need to dig back to some of the counter articles to study their methodology.

I'm not really sure why I care. I don't even attempt to ride fast anymore and at my speeds the effect is probably so small it is negligible on my shorter rides.
Old 05-21-23, 10:42 AM
Kontact 

I understand what both of you are saying. I've read about the 15% deflection and the idea that the tire conforms to the irregularities in the road rather than lifting the entire load. Yet, all referenced tests were on a diamond plate surface which is not smooth. In fact, the Outside article chose it to simulate asphalt roads. In these controlled studies on a irregular surface, higher pressure was less resistance. I need to dig back to some of the counter articles to study their methodology.

I'm not really sure why I care. I don't even attempt to ride fast anymore and at my speeds the effect is probably so small it is negligible on my shorter rides.
The diamond plate simulates the road, but does the wheel holder simulate the bicycle? Or is the wheel held mechanically in rigid contact with the plate?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-21-23, 10:57 AM
elcruxio

The diamond plate simulates the road, but does the wheel holder simulate the bicycle? Or is the wheel held mechanically in rigid contact with the plate?
This article explains it pretty well
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-4b...-and-impedance

In short: the drum doesn't simulate the rider and so the drum will keep showing lower rolling resistance at higher pressures even with an uneven drum surface.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 05-21-23, 11:10 AM
Kontact 

This article explains it pretty well
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-4b...-and-impedance

In short: the drum doesn't simulate the rider and so the drum will keep showing lower rolling resistance at higher pressures even with an uneven drum surface.
That breaks it down clearly. Thanks!
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-21-23, 11:10 AM
smd4

Why don't you ride an aero aluminum frame with high profile carbon rims then? That would maximize the road feel to the nth power.
My Cinelli Super Corsa works just fine for me, thanks.
Old 05-21-23, 11:17 AM
smd4

Maybe you don't understand how this works. In post 38 Kontact said that my tires were slow. He brought up the concept of speed. I responded--as I am allowed, and how discussion goes--in post 39, by simply stating they weren't slow--and that I also liked the road feel. I also provided a quote to back up that assertion, which stated that narrow tires--which I use--aren't "slow."

And again--anyone who thinks high-pressure pneumatic tires feel anything even remotely the same as solid tires must have no experience with either.
Old 05-21-23, 11:18 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
at 280lbs even I don't run my tires that high anymore, 35/30, all about tires conforming to the surface. Interesting to me is that I used to run 26x1.95 at 50psi in my 20s and dented so many wheels, had lousy times in races and really poor handling ability. Didn't mtb in my 30s except on the cross bike from time to time. Picked up a modern 29er running 2.25 and not only do I have faster times but I ride much more technical terrain and have yet to dent a rim. I find MTBing much more enjoyable now.
I'm happy for you and your low pressures. I don't plan on owning a mountain bike anytime soon.
Old 05-21-23, 12:55 PM
elcruxio

Maybe you don't understand how this works. In post 38 Kontact said that my tires were slow. He brought up the concept of speed. I responded--as I am allowed, and how discussion goes--in post 39, by simply stating they weren't slow--and that I also liked the road feel. I also provided a quote to back up that assertion, which stated that narrow tires--which I use--aren't "slow."

And again--anyone who thinks high-pressure pneumatic tires feel anything even remotely the same as solid tires must have no experience with either.
If you're running your tires at 140psi, the only place they're not going to be slow, is at a parquet velodrome. The tires at 140psi are likely slower than if they were pumped to 60psi. And that's on a brand spanking new baby bottom smooth tarmac. If the road surface gets any rougher, well, you'd probably be better off at 40psi. Of course that's all conjecture as only you know how much your bike + rider combination weighs, what's the weight distribution etc.

All that being said, you'd likely be much faster below 100psi. But as you prefer to be slow, I'm sure that doesn't matter to you.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 05-21-23, 01:07 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I wonder what would happen if everyone on a group ride discussed tire pressure and chain lube before starting out.

Old 05-21-23, 01:12 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I wonder what would happen if everyone on a group ride discussed tire pressure and chain lube before starting out.
There would be no bike forums.
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.