Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is bike shop giving me run around?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is bike shop giving me run around?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 06:44 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
As an aside, I was recently looking for a 36 tooth chainring for the inner on a 110 bcd double. I was surprised how little was available at a decent price. Lots of narrow wide rings available.
[Dremel_noises] A few hours later ...
Old 06-16-23, 08:43 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
I do not think so. I'm thinking that you probably haven't kept up on service.

I am thinking the your chain is toast, the cassette is toast and the chainrings are worn. The cost of new rings is probably more than a crank. The price of the chain and cassette a little high but not a gouge.

It could be that all was ok not to change, and all worked fine. Here you asked for the service and that they are performing. Changing the just the chain would lend the worn cassette to 'skip' most likely in the high gears.

Have some trust, the shop wants you happy and wants your return and word to spread about to your peers.

That said I do all my own build and service. Not out lack of trust, just as a youth I thought it was normal to do these things as an owner. Of course back then I didn't know English French Italian seatposts stems bars bb's. There are a couple of times I needed more specific things, like a tread chase on 60 years old bb, or Stronglight/French bb cup removal of the octagon driveside 37.5 mm +/-.

I found that Stronglight octagon cup to have 3 different measurements.
Old 06-16-23, 12:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
SRAM pg730 Cassette, 11-32, 7 speed... $20, shipped to your door... Etc...
Yes, shipped to your door, but not installed
Old 06-16-23, 01:46 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yes, shipped to your door, but not installed
i'd imagine Chuck would install it if i asked nice...... he's a good kid... and he's learned to be a great mail delivery person too.... granted, we were a bit worried for the first year or so....i sold a bike to him for his college-bound daughter... and tuned his wife's cruiser bike too.
Old 06-16-23, 03:27 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I love it when others decide for me when to perform free labor.
Old 06-16-23, 06:06 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I love it when others decide for me when to perform free labor.
Try working in healthcare. You would be surprised at how little one's decade of training is valued. Besides, Dr. Google knows everything now.

For the OP, I think I have a certain amount of sympathy for folks who just don't want to wrench their own stuff, but want a fair diagnosis. Being ancient, I had to learn to fix cars, lawnmowers, appliances, bikes, you name it. Poor doesn't allow for purchased skills in many cases. Lots of failures but lots of learning too. We had a Schwinn shop in Spokane that we used. The owner was the nicest guy on the planet. If you couldn't figure something out, he would help explain how to do a repair. If you still couldn't do it, you paid him graciously. We loved that shop.

Now, here in Seattle, bikes are the new fetish. Cool, I think it's great. A baby boomer from the bike boom days, I am thrilled to see so many folks riding again. But of course, with that comes the "car dealer" ethic of shops in some cases. Dealers know how to load a bill. Some bike shops the same. It takes some time to find the right shop to deal with. When you find them, stay loyal and buy stuff from them. And as for the forum here, many of us like or are used to wrenching (save for occasional cursing). It's good if people note up front what their skill level is or interest level is in wrenching. And perfectly fair to ask if something sounds fishy. Like the car shops that said my rotors could not be turned on my car. BS. A cheap Harbor Freight micrometer told me otherwise.
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 06-24-23, 10:11 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pelirary
The estimate they gave me is:
TUNE UP - Advanced - $129.99
SRAM PG-730 Cassette - 7 Speed, 12-32t, Silver - $39.99
Chain pc-830 6,7,8 speed - $24.99
3 x 7 Crankset - $59.99

The Advanced Tune Up includes front and rear brake adjustments, front and rear derailleur adjustments, oiling, alignment, air, complete cleaning, head set adjustment, bottom bracket adjustment, hub adjustment, remove drivetrain (cranks derailleur, chain, cassette, and clean thoroughly).

As for how many miles? It is around 45,000 miles. The rear cassette I know has been replaced at least twice, but to my best recollection the front crank and chain rings are still original.
Honestly, the numbers you’ve been quoted are in line for my local bike shops. If anything, given the work list for the ‘tune-up’, I’d say that’s on the low end for here.

If you want to speed things up, have a discussion with the mechanic about the crank— whether truly necessary, if it can wait, or if just one or more chainrings can be swapped instead. It doesn’t sound like they’re trying to scam you.

Remember, a good bike shop will stand behind their work, and perform any needed adjustments after a you’ve ridden the bike for bit.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-23, 10:13 AM
pelirary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
UPDATE!! After all the input here, which I greatly appreciated, I called the shop again. Still no success with locating the crankset. I told them to just put it back together and I would pick it up. Which I did. Glad I didn't have to pay anything, but they didn't really do anything so there is that. A couple days later I took it to a local Trek bike shop. By this point I was also considering a new bike. I went in and explained that I would like an estimate on the tuneup and whatever else they thought I would need. In addition to the tuneup they suggested a new chain and cassette. I asked what about the crankset. He looked it over again and said there seemed to be a lot of life left in the middle chain ring which is where I do most of my riding. So, it seems like the original bike shop was giving me the run around or had a different view of what is too worn.

On my way out of the store I stopped and talked to the manager. And bottom line, I ended up getting a new bike. My new bike is a Trek Domane AL 5. A couple of rides with it and I wish I had gotten a new bike years ago.
Likes For pelirary:
Old 07-02-23, 11:17 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
it seems like the original bike shop was giving me the run around or had a different view of what is too worn.
Please stop it already.

No one was giving you the runaround.

Bring the same bike to 10 different shops, and you'll get 10 different points of views with 10 different opinions on what should be done.

You had the option to get more opinions from other shops. If you don't do it, that's your problem.

Again, bottom line is that shops like to make money and make lots of it. A shop that values their time won't give much effort into something that will occupy their time with little profit.
Old 07-02-23, 01:10 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Please stop it already.

No one was giving you the runaround.

Bring the same bike to 10 different shops, and you'll get 10 different points of views with 10 different opinions on what should be done.

You had the option to get more opinions from other shops. If you don't do it, that's your problem.

Again, bottom line is that shops like to make money and make lots of it. A shop that values their time won't give much effort into something that will occupy their time with little profit.
you know.. you're absolutely right this time.. they weren't giving him a runaround, they were Incompetent Hacks and should be run out of business.

Do you work there?

PS.. the Shop that did well is the one that took time that they couldn't bill for to give a better estimate, then took the time to be nice... and then sold a Trek Domane to a new customer.

Last edited by maddog34; 07-02-23 at 04:50 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-04-23, 08:19 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I haven't taken a bike into a shop for work in probably 40 years, but have to say the prices your shop is asking don't seem out of line. It is expensive running a business. Someone has to pay for all that "free" stuff people keep demanding from the government.

I don't understand some of the comments about wearing out chainrings. I've worn out countless chainrings, and I'm good about monitoring chain wear (not everyone is). Veganbikes is right, sometimes it is cheaper to replace the whole crank than the chainrings. Also consider shop labor replacing the rings vs. a whole crank assembly. They might have a good reason for doing things the way they did.
Old 07-06-23, 07:16 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
There is a lot of varying opinion about what constitutes a worn out chainring. I wouldn't be so quick to declare who is a hack an who is competent.

The OP's problem is really that RSX was this weird road microdrive group, and was never really supported or duplicated. It is best replaced with more typical cranks and cassettes.

However, I would bet that if the OP had used the forum to try to find a replacement chainring, he might have been successful.
Old 07-06-23, 11:08 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
There is a lot of varying opinion about what constitutes a worn out chainring. I wouldn't be so quick to declare who is a hack an who is competent.

The OP's problem is really that RSX was this weird road microdrive group, and was never really supported or duplicated. It is best replaced with more typical cranks and cassettes.

However, I would bet that if the OP had used the forum to try to find a replacement chainring, he might have been successful.
A minor correction. According to Shimano's technical docs, the 1995-1999 RSX cranksets had 130 bcd with 74mm for triple inner. Replacements should be readily available.
Old 07-06-23, 11:33 AM
KCT1986

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
A minor correction. According to Shimano's technical docs, the 1995-1999 RSX cranksets had 130 bcd with 74mm for triple inner. Replacements should be readily available.
You're looking at the wrong RSX crankset. The OP says it has a 36T mid ring so this is the earlier FC-A413 with a 110mm BCD, no 36T possible on 130mm.
Old 07-06-23, 01:39 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
You're looking at the wrong RSX crankset. The OP says it has a 36T mid ring so this is the earlier FC-A413 with a 110mm BCD, no 36T possible on 130mm.
Once again, I didn't read thoroughly enough and only used the year of the bike. My bad. You're correct.
Old 07-06-23, 04:21 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
.... asked what about the crankset. He looked it over again and said there seemed to be a lot of life left in the middle chain ring which is where I do most of my riding. So, it seems like the original bike shop was giving me the run around or had a different view of what is too worn.....
Some shops may be a bit "overzealous". Reason being, they may have guessed wrong in the past and had an unhappy customer when they "thought" the rings were good enough, but weren't.