Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you have any weird riding habits?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you have any weird riding habits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 09:20 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I talk to myself a lot. Or to the wildlife as I pass by. Maybe it's because I don't listen to music or anything...it's just me and the bike and my strange, strange brain.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-15-23, 10:00 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A new habit I just started recently: pointing and laughing at the new Tesla Cybertrucks.

Those things look ridiculous.
They're actually building those rolling doorstop things? I had thought it was an elaborate, silly joke. My bad.
Speaking of elaborate and ginormous jokes, encountered my first electric Hummer. It's big as a big thing. Competes with F-250s jacked up to where you need a stepstool to climb in. Those are fun.
Old 09-15-23, 10:03 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I talk to myself a lot. Or to the wildlife as I pass by. Maybe it's because I don't listen to music or anything...it's just me and the bike and my strange, strange brain.
Same. I say "Hi" to geese, magpies, turkeys, quail, the occasional deer, definitely cows.

In part it's practical--startling geese can lead to them taking off in a panic and I had one actually brush my face with a wing when passing in front of me. Do not want to collide with a multi-pound bird.
Old 09-15-23, 10:05 AM
Rick_D

Originally Posted by downtube42
Is this optional?
Horses demand it, too. Or so I understand.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 09-15-23, 10:09 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Same. I say "Hi" to geese, magpies, turkeys, quail, the occasional deer, definitely cows.

In part it's practical--startling geese can lead to them taking off in a panic and I had one actually brush my face with a wing when passing in front of me. Do not want to collide with a multi-pound bird.
I sometimes yell at squirrels on the path to encourage them to move out of the way. Not colliding is better for both of us. 👍

Otto
Old 09-15-23, 10:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
They're actually building those rolling doorstop things? I had thought it was an elaborate, silly joke. My bad.
Speaking of elaborate and ginormous jokes, encountered my first electric Hummer. It's big as a big thing. Competes with F-250s jacked up to where you need a stepstool to climb in. Those are fun.
Someone I work with told me the electric Hummer weighs 8,000 lbs. and costs over $110,000.00
Old 09-15-23, 10:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10441 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Despite having many different roads to choose from, from which I could make dozens of different routes, I tend to ride the same 2 routes - one for weekday after-work rides, and one for long Sunday rides. I may add bits to the Sunday ride to increase the distance, but generally it's the same 59 mile route. And I don't get bored.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 09-15-23 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-15-23, 10:17 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
if I'm alone, I vocalize profanity directed at leg cramps, essentially mocking them for their failed attempt to stop my ride. They get nothing from me.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-15-23, 10:22 AM
indyfabz

I often do the same, especially when riding in rural areas. I said “Hello” to this bugger when he stopped to check me out.

Old 09-15-23, 10:52 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Someone I work with told me the electric Hummer weighs 8,000 lbs. and costs over $110,000.00
2023 GMC HUMMER EV is around $98k USd, weighs over 9,000lbs
2024 goes up on both.
Old 09-15-23, 12:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
On my bike I talk to animals, wild and domestic, that I pass. Also to myself, and to God. When I'm hiking or running with my dog, I talk to her in addition to all of the above.
Old 09-15-23, 12:44 PM
CoogansBluff

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I don't wear gloves or glasses. It's not weird, but it's unusual on the group rides I'm in.
Old 09-15-23, 02:17 PM
Rick_D

Originally Posted by Troul
2023 GMC HUMMER EV is around $98k USd, weighs over 9,000lbs
2024 goes up on both.
Sweet mother of god, if the pavement weren't suffering enough already!
Old 09-15-23, 02:28 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Recently, I was wondering how the Dodge/Chrysler/Ram/Jeep group gets away with selling so many big, heavy, fuel-thirsty trucks decades after CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency) regulations were enacted. I thought, "There's no way they are meeting the CAFE standards, because they sell so few small cars." Then, by coincidence, I heard or read something that answered this puzzle for me. The CAFE laws have a loophole for big vehicles. Because we need some big trucks as well as little ones and cars, there is an exception tied to the vehicles' size (or maybe their weight, not sure on this). Hence, the auto makers can dodge CAFE averages by skewing their model lineup to larger trucks. And bingo! Government regulation backfires, resulting in the opposite of its intended effect.

I now return you to our original thread topic.
Old 09-15-23, 02:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I yell at the clouds when I ride.
Old 09-15-23, 02:57 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I yell at the clouds when I ride.
I encourage them, especially in summertime.
FIGHT, CLOUDS! FIGHT! Don't let that sun break you!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-15-23, 03:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Recently, I was wondering how the Dodge/Chrysler/Ram/Jeep group gets away with selling so many big, heavy, fuel-thirsty trucks decades after CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency) regulations were enacted. I thought, "There's no way they are meeting the CAFE standards, because they sell so few small cars." Then, by coincidence, I heard or read something that answered this puzzle for me. The CAFE laws have a loophole for big vehicles. Because we need some big trucks as well as little ones and cars, there is an exception tied to the vehicles' size (or maybe their weight, not sure on this). Hence, the auto makers can dodge CAFE averages by skewing their model lineup to larger trucks. And bingo! Government regulation backfires, resulting in the opposite of its intended effect.

for "tax" write-offs, business owners can leverage on an old tax clause that, IIRC, stemmed from back in the day when U.S. farming was a ramping up.
I often wonder how many businesses are being honest with the % of usage?

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/smal...179-deduction/
Old 09-15-23, 03:14 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
If this counts, I usually make a rolling mount onto the bike when starting out.

I'll put left foot on the pedal at about 10:00, push off with right foot and the left's downstroke, then throw my right leg over the saddle.
That's my normal mount. I don't know if there's a name for it, but the same technique in reverse, to stop, is called a cyclocross dismount.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-15-23, 03:31 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon

There's a very good short film about that very thing. The author is Dutch and he's lamenting the spread of big SUVs in the Netherlands, following the trend of what happened here in the US and elsewhere. He provides the history and explains why the automakers pushed for the exceptions and how they marketed these large vehicles, all in the name of higher profits.

Old 09-15-23, 03:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I sometimes yell at squirrels.
I hiss, like a racoon. They hate raccoons. At least, I hope they do. I do, anyway.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-16-23, 12:52 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I won't cross at a intersection or trail crossing if a car stops for me when they have the right-of-way. I wait for them to continue on. Some get really mad.
They are doing you a favor here. You should repay them by kindly accepting it.
Likes For George Mann:
Old 09-16-23, 01:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by George Mann
They are doing you a favor here. You should repay them by kindly accepting it.
Maybe if they got out of their car and could somehow block the three other lanes they'd be doing me a favor. Otherwise, they are just creating a dangerous situation. And pissing off all the other drivers that us cyclist need to be coddled and not follow the right of way laws. If I'm not in the crossing already, there is no obligation for the other vehicles to stop.

Usually it's the last car in a group of cars that does this. I'm already stopped and if they'd just kept going, then I'd get to go in the gap between them and the cars in the next group. Sometimes the vehicle that stops is of a size that I can't safely see the other traffic that might be coming in the other lanes.

Denver area has some special laws for such, but I've not familiarized myself with them as I probably should since I do ride there when I visit my son. But most everywhere else the laws are written in a way that vehicular traffic on the road just needs to slow down and be aware of cyclists that feel entitled to burst through the crossing with total disregard for traffic on the more major road.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-16-23 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-16-23, 01:35 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
SNIP
Safety first of course.
Old 09-16-23, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Maybe one day there will be smart gas pumps. A sensor will identify the make and model of the vehicle and automatically adjust the gas tax based on vehicle weight.

You heard it here first!
Old 09-16-23, 04:42 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
I try not to do (don't likie...) rides with under 500 ft gain... I've been know to do some local loops with groceries in the saddle bags, to get in my 500 ft....
one trip up Ferren rd does the job... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.