Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to put pro bike fit numbers into buying new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 07:24 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts

So I got a bike fit, Retul, to get me nice and comfy on my current bike, Giant Defy, with some recommendations.
If I were now to shop for a new bike, maybe something more aero, how should I look at the numbers to pick the new frame, stem, handlebar, stack etc?
Old 09-27-23, 09:25 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
So I got a bike fit, Retul, to get me nice and comfy on my current bike, Giant Defy, with some recommendations.
If I were now to shop for a new bike, maybe something more aero, how should I look at the numbers to pick the new frame, stem, handlebar, stack etc?
Well, assuming the FIT numbers put you within some adjustment envelope of the Giant Defy - at whatever size you're on now.
Then any new bike should allow the same 'Fit' - assuming the 'Fit' really works for you.
Always good to be somewhere in the middle of the frame & specs, so that there's a good adjustment envelope, either direction of any spec...
As for "aero", that is mostly going to be YOU - the position/posture you assume when riding. That's not likely gonna change much, unless you decide to change and assume a different position posture.
Ultimately, how you 'feel' about a bike is going to be determined by many more factors beyond just fit.
Go out and ride bikes... adjust close to your 'FIT', and ride.
you can use
https://geometrygeeks.bike/
https://bikeinsights.com/
https://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php - for the effects of stem spec variations
to compare numbers on frames/bikes as specd from the manufacturer.
good tires and wheels will make a more obvious difference than frame layup...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-28-23, 09:00 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Stack gives you the vertical size. Reach gives you the horizontal. Seat tube angle can affect the seat post setback needed. If you have a short stem, less reach might be something to look at. Many spacers and/or a high rise stem suggests the need for more stack height. Unfortunately, there's not all that much difference in the stack and reach for bikes in a given category.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 09-28-23, 12:05 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 376 Posts
Assumimng you want to match the position of the contact points best way is to measure them and then transfer them. Using the same items (saddle, bar, pedals, etc) will get you better acccuracy, and then you can make changes if desired. As a side note, I make a lot of money "retooling" fits, not a fan, but when someone comes in looking for that sort of thing,they get the computerized lazer show, cause money is money.
Old 09-30-23, 11:03 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
There are a few measurements that you can take from your current fit and apply them to another bike. For example, the BB to saddle height, the nose of the saddle straight down relative to the BB, the saddle to handlebar vertical drop, and the nose of the saddle to the handlebar.