Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Watts/Cadence

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Watts/Cadence

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 10:09 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don’t have a latency issue with my Zwift connection. It’s actually very responsive to sudden power surges. But it just seems to artificially hang on to power for a couple of seconds whenever I back off. I’ve read about this trait in Zwift with some trainers and power meters but a lot of the online discussions are a bit vague and inconclusive. The Wahoo recoded data shows that it isn’t the bike causing this issue.

Non of this causes any issues in erg mode or any continuous pedalling under power. Neither does it affect the ride feel in sim mode. But it does distort reported power averages on a Zwift ride or race, which is quite annoying as I feed this data into an adaptive training App.
Not sure I ever get the chance to ease off that much in a race. Do you think zwift do it to reduce the impact of comms glitches?
Old 12-27-23, 01:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Not sure I ever get the chance to ease off that much in a race. Do you think zwift do it to reduce the impact of comms glitches?
Yes, I think so. I find that I can ease back quite a lot when riding in the pack or on descents, although I find that quite realistic. Obviously can't do that when climbing or going full gas just to hold on or bridge a gap. But if you do soft pedal for a few strokes you don't lose as much ground as you would in real life. I now see this effect quite clearly when comparing directly with my Wahoo wheel speed.
Old 12-27-23, 05:52 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Zwift high cadence on the flats vs low cadence climbing similar power levels.

Did 100k flat ride at a normal cadence and a comfortable power level, 190w+\-. Zero fatigue, plenty of reserve power, easily in zone 2- fun ride.

Just did Mt Ventoux at the same power level with the trainer resistance set at 90% to allow for a slightly higher cadence-75 rpm average. I hour less time in the saddle, fully gassed at the end, never in zone 2, elevated heart rate and breathing. This ride destroyed me.

Climbing Vs flat- to rule the difference out. I also did Alpe de zwift with the trainer set at 75% allowing for normal cadence levels, and I averaged 50watts more and was never as gassed out.

not sure what to make of that.
Old 12-27-23, 06:11 PM
choddo

Maybe just rested more for the first one but that sounds like a big difference.

What was “normal” cadence? 75 is pretty low. Maybe calling on less developed / trained muscle fibres?
Old 12-27-23, 07:00 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Maybe just rested more for the first one but that sounds like a big difference.

What was “normal” cadence? 75 is pretty low. Maybe calling on less developed / trained muscle fibres?
85-90 is “normal” for me.

Equal rest +\- for all three rides.

On the Alpe, at normal cadence, I was able to start the climb in Z3, continue to add power, was doing FTP+ intervals on every other segment, and finished with a full on sprint at the top.

On Ventoux, at lower cadence, I couldn’t maintain low Z3 levels, forget about getting into z4, and at the top I was dead gassed out.

Hate to say it, but I have do both of them again while using my power meter pedals as well. Could be a trainer issue at lower cadence… my butt meter didn’t match the trainer readout at all.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 12-27-23, 07:53 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jughed
Zwift high cadence on the flats vs low cadence climbing similar power levels.

Did 100k flat ride at a normal cadence and a comfortable power level, 190w+\-. Zero fatigue, plenty of reserve power, easily in zone 2- fun ride.

Just did Mt Ventoux at the same power level with the trainer resistance set at 90% to allow for a slightly higher cadence-75 rpm average. I hour less time in the saddle, fully gassed at the end, never in zone 2, elevated heart rate and breathing. This ride destroyed me.

Climbing Vs flat- to rule the difference out. I also did Alpe de zwift with the trainer set at 75% allowing for normal cadence levels, and I averaged 50watts more and was never as gassed out.

not sure what to make of that.
A good way to rule out the effect of climbing or any Zwift inflation of average Wattage on flatter rides may be to use ERG mode at the same power at low vs high cadence. I think ERG mode may provide a more “honest” report of your average Wattage in Zwift, particularly on flatter terrain.

Comparing average power reported via Zwift in sim mode vs average power reported in my Wahoo app for the same ride was an eye-opener for me.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-27-23, 11:09 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
the general consensus is that higher rpms are better since it stresses the cardiovascular system over the musculature. your heart/lungs can go longer than your legs.
but that doesn't mean its true for everyone. there are plenty of very experienced riders and racers who prefer a lower cadence. as with everything else, YMMV
A lot of the discussion has been very theoretical... cadence v torque. But reality is way different. There are limits to both and the curve to those points can vary dramatically, depending on the motor.
Heart and Lungs going 'longer' is a very personal assessment. Depending on where one is relative to his 'motor's design (training) either power can be more optimized, or cadence (aerobic efficiency).
Comparison of a rider who bounces in their saddle at 90 rpm vs rider who can spin 120 easily but can;t with a 92"+ gear (scuze my oldschule gear inches)..
Real world is way different than a comparison of two curves with 'infinite' combinations of torque and cadence.
Many riders don't have the muscle structure to put out 1K watts, at any time. Many have such low efficiency that riding for 100 rpm for more than a few seconds has them bouncing uncontrollably on their saddles.
A wonderful part of cycling is what happens when all these variables combine. So a world class track sprinter can put out amazing torque at 130 rpm for an amazing time to put out 2000+ watts - ... enough to do 120-150 meters at that level. But may not fare as well in a 40K time trial.
Cadence (muscular efficiency) is a very important part of the equation, but certainly not the fully deciding part... same said for torque...
... so where are we... somehow one needs to work/train at both. 'Natural' is to fall into the one you find more suited for 'you' - hard (and very productive) is to work on what comes with more difficulty.
depending on the situation 'going longer' (as with using aerobic fitness/cadence) may not suit the Question asked of you. Spinning up a difficult 'Roller' may get you up there, ready to drive down the other side. BUT, if you're in a group where others are 'powering' up the roller and 25 yds ahead of you at the top - being 'shelled' off the back may mean a solo ride, behind...
If you're on your own, it just means 'that's my ride'...
... it all dependz...
Of course, if one never really taxes themselves in various situations - one never really knows where the strengths and weaknesses lie.
cadence - is easy to monitor and you get direct feedback when your riding is focused on that. And pedaling efficiency improvement has a broad affect on overall improvement.
torque, much harder to isolate and monitor - yes 'power' measurement, but also harder to measure relative to the other variables.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-28-23, 02:13 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Jughed
85-90 is “normal” for me.

On Ventoux, at lower cadence, I couldn’t maintain low Z3 levels, forget about getting into z4, and at the top I was dead gassed out.
Wonder what would happen at 40% trainer difficulty where you could run a higher cadence
Old 12-28-23, 07:33 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by cyclezen

... so where are we... somehow one needs to work/train at both. 'Natural' is to fall into the one you find more suited for 'you' - hard (and very productive) is to work on what comes with more difficulty.
depending on the situation 'going longer' (as with using aerobic fitness/cadence) may not suit the Question asked of you.
I agree that it is useful to “train” both higher and lower cadence for different benefits and over time a trained cyclist’s preferred natural cadence will generally increase. I find a good way to work on increasing and maintaining my natural cadence is to ride +5-10 rpm higher than my comfort zone for a period of time. Just high enough to require a conscious effort to maintain. For low cadence training I simply do a lot of sustained climbing with gear limited cadence.

Given that the OP is looking to optimise power in a steady TT it is really about riding at a relatively comfortable, natural cadence with a sustainable HR.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-28-23, 08:02 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
A lot of the discussion has been very theoretical... cadence v torque. But reality is way different. There are limits to both and the curve to those points can vary dramatically, depending on the motor. [...] Real world is way different than a comparison of two curves with 'infinite' combinations of torque and cadence.[ ... ] ... so where are we... somehow one needs to work/train at both. 'Natural' is to fall into the one you find more suited for 'you' - hard (and very productive) is to work on what comes with more difficulty.
Hmmm. I don't think the cadence vs. torque discussion is particularly theoretical. I think what it shows is pretty damn practical: that there are lots of different combinations of cadence and torque that riders use, so to focus on cadence alone is short-sighted. The cadence vs. torque stuff shows that you can (and for some, should) work on both, not just one or the other. That's liberating, not constricting: you don't have to be a metronome to train well.
Likes For RChung:
Old 12-28-23, 09:49 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Yeah, we're not electric motors, (though we do have 2 legs of power)...
Old 12-29-23, 01:50 PM
cweb99

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
What are watts used for? I just use cadence and try to pedal as fast as I can with my preference cadence at 80-85
Old 12-29-23, 02:08 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by cweb99
What are watts used for? I just use cadence and try to pedal as fast as I can with my preference cadence at 80-85
Watts are a measure of your power output, which determines how fast you will go. Cadence alone is only half of the power equation. The other half is how much force you are applying to the pedals.

So for example, if you pedal at 85 rpm in a low gear then you will produce less power and be slower than if you pedal at the same 85 rpm in a higher gear in the same conditions.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-29-23, 05:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
Watts are used to understand how hard you’re actually working. You can turn the pedals fast or slow, but that only tells you how fast you’re turning the pedals.

Using watts, you can know your limits, and decide where you want to exert your efforts within those limits. Cadence is really just an adjunct to watts in terms of performance.
Old 01-04-24, 04:46 PM
wheelreason

Folks are power happy these days. I don't care how many watts I'm putting out, I care how fast I can make my bike go, sure there is a correlation, but like I said, we are not electric motors. Right around July most race seasons, I could spin the 53/15 on a flat road and stay on top of it throughout a training ride, Don't know how many watts that was, but I know I never owned the 14 like that on a consistent basis. Saw Alex Steida (with his skinny legs) spin a 13 on a crit once, and knew instantly I would never do that...
Old 01-04-24, 05:37 PM
choddo

It adds a lot to training. Especially for those of us who are never going to race (except the odd friendly TT maybe) and want some kind of objective yardstick. Speed isn’t always a useful measure of progress in changing weather and traffic conditions.
Old 01-04-24, 07:04 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I don't care how many watts I'm putting out, I care how fast I can make my bike go.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this*. There are two things that control how fast a bike goes. The power produced by the rider and the forces resisting motion. If you're interested in going faster you can increase the former, decrease the latter or both. I don't think you really believe the only way for you to make yourself faster is reducing the resistance.

*It has the flavor of keep the government's hands off my Medicare.
Old 01-05-24, 12:53 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by asgelle
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this*. There are two things that control how fast a bike goes. The power produced by the rider and the forces resisting motion. If you're interested in going faster you can increase the former, decrease the latter or both. I don't think you really believe the only way for you to make yourself faster is reducing the resistance.

*It has the flavor of keep the government's hands off my Medicare.
I think he’s saying he cares about the end result and focusses on that (sometimes aero position, technique or racing tactics beats watts when it comes to increasing average speed so you can miss the bigger picture if you hyperfocus on power output. Also, see examples of Froome crashing due to too much Garmin)
Old 01-05-24, 06:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I think he’s saying he cares about the end result and focusses on that (sometimes aero position, technique or racing tactics beats watts when it comes to increasing average speed so you can miss the bigger picture if you hyperfocus on power output. Also, see examples of Froome crashing due to too much Garmin)
The bolded line is tangential to your point, obviously, but: what examples? Links?

The only info I found concerning Froome crashing referred to his catastrophic crash that all but ended his career:

"According to Poels and Brailsford,
a strong gust of wind caught Froome's wheel and caused the Kenyan-born British rider to lose control. [Froome had one hand off the handlebar, blowing his nose.] Froome was traveling at nearly 55kph on a straight section of road lined by houses when he struck a low wall and crashed heavily on his right side."
Old 01-05-24, 08:38 AM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by asgelle
It's simple, if I can make my bike go faster, I'm obviously putting out more power, so I train (or rather trained) to go faster, and the power takes care of itself, I don't care about the number. And while I wasn't referring to efficiency, that takes care of itself too.
Old 01-05-24, 09:29 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wheelreason
It's simple, if I can make my bike go faster, I'm obviously putting out more power, so I train (or rather trained) to go faster, and the power takes care of itself, I don't care about the number. And while I wasn't referring to efficiency, that takes care of itself too.
Everyone who uses a power meter is also training to go faster. Direct power measurement just makes it far easier to track real time gains/losses. Bike speed is a pretty crude proxy for power unless you are training in a Velodrome.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-05-24, 10:10 AM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by petehski
everyone who uses a power meter is also training to go faster. Direct power measurement just makes it far easier to track real time gains/losses. Bike speed is a pretty crude proxy for power unless you are training in a velodrome.
ok.
Old 01-05-24, 02:48 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The bolded line is tangential to your point, obviously, but: what examples? Links?

The only info I found concerning Froome crashing referred to his catastrophic crash that all but ended his career:

"According to Poels and Brailsford,
a strong gust of wind caught Froome's wheel and caused the Kenyan-born British rider to lose control. [Froome had one hand off the handlebar, blowing his nose.] Froome was traveling at nearly 55kph on a straight section of road lined by houses when he struck a low wall and crashed heavily on his right side."
Sorry it was a bit tongue in cheek and I should have made that more obvious. People used to refer to it from the frequency of his crashes and the fact he was known to ride to power (very successfully) most of the time so was he too busy staring at his power numbers, but don’t think there was ever a real case of that contributing to him having a spill.
Old 01-07-24, 10:24 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 343 Posts
For a correlation between power and cadence, my cadence increases as my power increases. My "noodling along" cadence is around 90rpm and will go all the way past 100rpm for a max effort. Low rpm efforts with lots of pedal force, just fatigue me a lot more than increasing the revs and dropping the force(for an equal power reading.)

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Everyone who uses a power meter is also training to go faster. Direct power measurement just makes it far easier to track real time gains/losses. Bike speed is a pretty crude proxy for power unless you are training in a Velodrome.
To add to that, the power meter is also the means to improvement and not just a measure of that improvement. By utilizing power zones nowadays, I'm much fitter/faster/stronger than when I was just simply riding lots and hard.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 01-07-24, 08:58 PM
rclouviere

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
exactly. It seems I’m now more efficient and, as a result, faster using a lower cadence. I don’t seem to get as winded as with higher cadence. Not sure if this makes since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.