Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984/85 Specialized Sequoia beef up suggestions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1984/85 Specialized Sequoia beef up suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 02:04 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
My 1982 Sequoia will handle 700x32 without fenders or 700x30 with. I'm using Tektro 559 brakes in the picture above. I tried switching to Tektro R539's, which have enough reach, but the front brake was pushing the fender against the tire. I already had to carve a bit of plastic off the fender to fit in the fork and maybe I could make this work by making an indent for the brake caliper, but the 559's work so I'm just leaving well enough alone.

I also experimented briefly with 650Bx38. That worked, though I had to drop the rear brake a bit for reach and fenders were tighter than I was comfortable with.

I've read that the later Sequoias had a bit more tire clearance, so the OP may very well be able to use 700x32 with fenders.
This photo shows your 650B setup if my squinting reads the tire size correctly, and it looks like your lowered rear brake, right, Andy?

I always enjoy seeing this bike. Just wish it was while we’re on a ride together, instead of a photo.

Last edited by Dfrost; 02-05-24 at 02:12 PM.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 02-05-24, 02:08 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
A frequent riding buddy of mine outfitted his Sequoia with 650B x 38mm wheels plus fenders; clearance seems fine.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-05-24, 06:49 PM
bostonbiketaxi

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia (?) 1984 (?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My 1982 Sequoia will handle 700x32 without fenders or 700x30 with. I'm using Tektro 559 brakes in the picture above.
Since I do want fenders, I'm looking for the biggest and comfiest that I can squeeze within that constraint. To confirm - 700x30 with Tektro 559 brakes works with fenders?

Thanks
Old 02-05-24, 06:54 PM
bostonbiketaxi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not quite lowrider -- just mid fork. I use it for a light front rack.

This picture looks like I've got a decent load on it, but it's really just more clothes than I really needed for a three day credit-card tour. This bike was perfect for that. I haven't tried a really heavy load.
Thanks! I'm getting the feeling from reading the replies that credit card touring/trying to keep it light is the way to go. But I still want as wide and comfy and strong (with fenders!) as I can get within the constraints.

What kind of brakes, fenders, wheels, tires are you rocking on this beauty?
Likes For bostonbiketaxi:
Old 02-05-24, 07:18 PM
bostonbiketaxi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
For the Sequoia I believe it would've only been one set of eyelets on the fork ends and no low rider eyelets, can't tell if it has even that though.
I only have the one set of eyelets on the fork ends. If there is just one set, does that mean those are intended only for fender mounting?
Old 02-05-24, 08:40 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by bostonbiketaxi
I only have the one set of eyelets on the fork ends. If there is just one set, does that mean those are intended only for fender mounting?
Fender or rack, but many people use single eyelets to fit both to the eyelet. It may have even been expected back in the day as even some grand touring bikes only had one set in front and back (the Expedition being one of them). Both examples above have this setup in the rear.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 02-05-24, 11:31 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Since I do want fenders, I'm looking for the biggest and comfiest that I can squeeze within that constraint. To confirm - 700x30 with Tektro 559 brakes works with fenders?
The tires I’m using are 700x28 Continental GP 4000s, which measure 300mm wide on the rims I’m using. Since your Sequoia is a bit later, I think you’ll have a bit more clearance, but I would recommend measuring. The fenders you use might also make a difference, since wider fenders may need to flex to fit the frame.
Old 02-06-24, 12:24 PM
bostonbiketaxi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The tires I’m using are 700x28 Continental GP 4000s, which measure 300mm wide on the rims I’m using. Since your Sequoia is a bit later, I think you’ll have a bit more clearance, but I would recommend measuring. The fenders you use might also make a difference, since wider fenders may need to flex to fit the frame.
Thanks. What rims are you rolling? And if there are any recommended super thin/light fenders that work well, I'll take 'em!
Old 02-06-24, 01:01 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
SKS fenders might give you the most room.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 02-06-24, 07:28 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I had a Sequoia from that era. Rode up Mt Haleakela with it. Weighed 145 lbs at the time. I know 32 mm tires fit. Loved how it rode. At 200 lbs rider weight definitely small to mid sized front low riders with rear rack and mid sized dry bag or camp pads. Didn’t have frame bags like Revelate but an excellent suggestion. Very nice riding bike but wouldn’t pick for heavy rear loads like the Expedition or Surly LHT.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 02-07-24, 10:35 AM
bostonbiketaxi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
I had a Sequoia from that era. Rode up Mt Haleakela with it. Weighed 145 lbs at the time. I know 32 mm tires fit. Loved how it rode. At 200 lbs rider weight definitely small to mid sized front low riders with rear rack and mid sized dry bag or camp pads. Didn’t have frame bags like Revelate but an excellent suggestion. Very nice riding bike but wouldn’t pick for heavy rear loads like the Expedition or Surly LHT.
Thanks very much for the details. When you were rocking your 32mm tires did you also have fenders?
Old 02-17-24, 01:32 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Thanks. What rims are you rolling? And if there are any recommended super thin/light fenders that work well, I'll take 'em!
I'm using HED Belgiums (not the wider Belgium+, but the original 23mm wide version). I like SKS Chromoplastic Longboard fenders. I wouldn't say they're super thin or light, but they work well.
Old 02-17-24, 10:53 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I like SKS Chromoplastic Longboard fenders. I wouldn't say they're super thin or light, but they work well.
And they give you more room under the fenders since the stay brackets are riveted so they don't take up as much room as nuts.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-29-24, 12:26 PM
bostonbiketaxi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Alright here's how it's shaping up
  • Tektro 559 brakes
  • Tubus mid-fork clamps for low rider front rack
  • Some kinda sick low rider front rack - I have a surly front rack in stock which I hope will be compatible, but that's a lot of rack. Otherwise I'll grab a minimal tubus.
  • SKS fenders
  • Figure out the fattiest rims and tires I can get in there given the clearance