Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 09:38 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8845 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yup. He has nice bikes and nice cars. He also has a McLaren convertible for fun driving, the Taycan is his daily utility car.
It's no Saturn
Old 03-09-24, 10:17 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
It's no Saturn
Nope.
Old 03-09-24, 10:21 AM
Mojo31
-------

Ramp test question.

Zwift says to stay seated for the duration of the test. Is there a reason for that?

Seems inconsistent with riding in real life. I get out of the saddle when an extra boost is desired/needed. Apps that measure FTP on the bike dont know the difference.
Old 03-09-24, 10:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Mrs. GJ is off in SoCal with one of her buds, visiting another of her buds who's the first bud's sister. She took Dory along, so it's all just us XY types here. All week, between one thing and another I've had to wake up by 7, but today I got to sleep in - till 7:45, when Rango's Old Man Bladder woke him up. When I was a ute, an AVERAGE Saturday I'd sleep in till 10. Sometimes as late as noon, if I'd stayed up late reading. No more!

Speaking of Rango, since he's 14 1/2 now, and past the usual 12-14 expected Greyhound lifespan, I get hypervigilant about signs of The End Approaching. A week ago, he seemed to be off his food. He let a bowl of food sit uneaten for most of a day, and this was stuff he normally loved. I went into overdrive - bought a tub of cottage cheese and a package of boneless chicken breasts, which I was going to boil and shred. Before I got around to boiling the chicken he was back to vacuuming up his food, and this whole week, he's not only been eating hungrily, but also he's been full of energy (for an old Greyhound). I took him for a walk the other evening and he set a pace I had trouble matching, and then he kept that up for the whole mile-long walk. Apparently nobody told the big galoot that he's really old.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-09-24, 11:06 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Ramp test question.

Zwift says to stay seated for the duration of the test. Is there a reason for that?

Seems inconsistent with riding in real life. I get out of the saddle when an extra boost is desired/needed. Apps that measure FTP on the bike dont know the difference.
It will skew the results. Sprint peak and FTP are not the same thing. Standing doesn’t represent what your FTP is. You will fail at some point during the ramp test . If you stand up to keep the test going that number it spits out at you will not be an accurate FTP number.

If you are just trying to prove to your wife that the wheels are indeed necessary. Go for it.
Old 03-09-24, 11:13 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Friend keeps changing the date and location of his wedding. We had a discussion about a year ago that we would not participate in a destination wedding. They agreed and last we talked it would be in North Carolina. They even called and asked if that was okay before they booked the venue. Not that we expected that, but it was a nice gesture. I am the best man, and my daughter is supposed to be the flower girl.

I am talking to him yesterday and he nonchalantly throws out there a 6 month date change and btw it’s in orlando now.

I don’t understand how or why destination weddings are a thing. I think it’s extremely selfish and complete BS. You expect me to use my very little vacation time for your wedding? We were running the numbers last night, between fights, rental car hotel and food this is going to cost roughly 5k.

When we got married 10 years ago, we really wanted to do in the OBX. We wanted to rent a big beach house and just do it there. Both of our parents were against it. The 3-4 hour drive would be too much of an inconvenience for our guest plus the lodging. So we did it in Va beach instead.
Old 03-09-24, 11:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Ramp test question.

Ideally it’s a test of metabolic capacity, not how much force you can put out per unit time.
Old 03-09-24, 11:33 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Friend keeps changing the date and location of his wedding. We had a discussion about a year ago that we would not participate in a destination wedding. They agreed and last we talked it would be in North Carolina. They even called and asked if that was okay before they booked the venue. Not that we expected that, but it was a nice gesture. I am the best man, and my daughter is supposed to be the flower girl.

I am talking to him yesterday and he nonchalantly throws out there a 6 month date change and btw it’s in orlando now.

I don’t understand how or why destination weddings are a thing. I think it’s extremely selfish and complete BS. You expect me to use my very little vacation time for your wedding? We were running the numbers last night, between fights, rental car hotel and food this is going to cost roughly 5k.

When we got married 10 years ago, we really wanted to do in the OBX. We wanted to rent a big beach house and just do it there. Both of our parents were against it. The 3-4 hour drive would be too much of an inconvenience for our guest plus the lodging. So we did it in Va beach instead.
People are selfish. Thats’s why.

Something sort of similar(but not really beyond being selfish) is a constant source of conflict between my mom and I.

Being divorced from the girls’ mom, I get 1 full week of summer vacation with them per year, the rest we split 50/50 and they go to summer camp for a week as well. My mother is always pressuring me to go visit her for our vacations even though I’ve told her hundreds of times that it isn’t realistic for us to do. She also won’t accept that we would need to rent a house while we’re there. She expects instead that my wife and I would stay with my grandma, and the girls with her, because it’s what she wants with no consideration for the fact that I only get this vacation and want to spend it with them.

This comes up every single time I talk to her, it’s now to the point that I don’t call her anymore because I just can’t take it. I’ve offered for her to spend our vacation with us at a different place, but it’s “too expensive” or my stepdad doesn’t have the vacation time.

Meanwhile they’ve been on 3 trips so far in 2024…
Old 03-09-24, 11:41 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by phrantic09
People are selfish. Thats’s why.

Something sort of similar(but not really beyond being selfish) is a constant source of conflict between my mom and I.

Being divorced from the girls’ mom, I get 1 full week of summer vacation with them per year, the rest we split 50/50 and they go to summer camp for a week as well. My mother is always pressuring me to go visit her for our vacations even though I’ve told her hundreds of times that it isn’t realistic for us to do. She also won’t accept that we would need to rent a house while we’re there. She expects instead that my wife and I would stay with my grandma, and the girls with her, because it’s what she wants with no consideration for the fact that I only get this vacation and want to spend it with them.

This comes up every single time I talk to her, it’s now to the point that I don’t call her anymore because I just can’t take it. I’ve offered for her to spend our vacation with us at a different place, but it’s “too expensive” or my stepdad doesn’t have the vacation time.

Meanwhile they’ve been on 3 trips so far in 2024…
Used to have similar conversations with my mom. When the kids were young, my vacation and travel times were more limited. We took one trip per year as a family of four, and that was our time to spend with the kids uninterrupted by work or the demands of others. My mom always wanted us to spend that time at their home, but that was never a vacation for me. Never gave in and damn glad I didn't.
Old 03-09-24, 11:45 AM
Mojo31
-------

Weddings bring out the weird in people.

My son-in-law's childhood best friend is getting married in a few weeks in San Miguel. It's a small wedding with no bridesmaids or groomsmen. The bride, however, asked my daughter and another friend to wear a green dress to be a part of a small group of her friends wearing green dresses. My daughter bought 6 or 7 dresses, and only got approval after a big tussle. The friend bought 15 and all were rejected by the bride. They are both about to say "F it." and wear red or anything other than green.
Old 03-09-24, 11:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Used to have similar conversations with my mom. When the kids were young, my vacation and travel times were more limited. We took one trip per year as a family of four, and that was our time to spend with the kids uninterrupted by work or the demands of others. My mom always wanted us to spend that time at their home, but that was never a vacation for me. Never gave in and damn glad I didn't.
Living 3000 miles away from family, and our families being 300 miles from each other always meant that our major vacations were spent flying Back East and visiting one and then the other. So, we never really got in the habit of vacationing separate from visiting family. The other thing is the expense of hotels, meals out, and all that stuff - if all your vacations were spent sleeping in your old room, eating at home, that expense seems pretty big.

The other thing? Turns out Mrs. GJ and I are pretty boring people, but we're totally cool with that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-09-24, 12:05 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8845 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,741 Posts

Destination weddings can KMFA.

That's all I've got to say about that. (TAIGTSAT)
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 03-09-24, 12:23 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I'm not in the know about such things. Does that bike have a crabon frame? I suspect it does.
#SteelThenAluminumNeverCrabon
Yes carbon frame, seems ok. But one of the carbon fiber pedals clearly asploded.
Old 03-09-24, 01:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yeah, it’s sobering.

My friend is supposed to have surgery for his wrist today and, fingers crossed, going home if all ok.

I have his bike at my place, other than one shattered pedal, it seems to be ok. It’s a beautiful bike, S Works with full Dura Ace.

I am thinking he won’t be riding for 6-8 weeks.
I'd imagine so, Unlesssss... he's got a recumbent around, that might be doable pretty soon afterwards

Did he wreck his dominant hand's wrist or his worthless hand's wrist?
Old 03-09-24, 01:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28629 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Rain day. All activities canceled.
Old 03-09-24, 01:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Shoulda come out to Winslow for the Saturday market and you could've went to the 9/11 park and witnessed some cattle commotion.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-09-24, 01:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'd imagine so, Unlesssss... he's got a recumbent around, that might be doable pretty soon afterwards

Left wrist. I don’t think he is a southpaw but not positive. Either way he should be ok. I know he and his wife have a Peloton and he is also a runner, so plenty of options to stay in shape.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-09-24, 01:49 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28629 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Shoulda come out to Winslow for the Saturday market and you could've went to the 9/11 park and witnessed some cattle commotion.
Maybe next time, if I figure out where Winslow is.
Old 03-09-24, 01:55 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13717 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
It's cold, rainy, and windy here. Normal Saturday activities accomplished.

#htfu
Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-09-24, 02:03 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Nothing to be ashamed of, it’s pretty reckless behavior imo, especially if you have a family. A lot of the daredevil utes we grew up with ain’t around anymore, they had their fun until one day it caught up with them. After a certain age the big head is supposed to take over the thinking duties from the little head.
RMOT

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 03-09-24 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 02:12 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by genejockey
Mrs. GJ is off in SoCal with one of her buds, visiting another of her buds who's the first bud's sister. She took Dory along, so it's all just us XY types here. All week, between one thing and another I've had to wake up by 7, but today I got to sleep in - till 7:45, when Rango's Old Man Bladder woke him up. When I was a ute, an AVERAGE Saturday I'd sleep in till 10. Sometimes as late as noon, if I'd stayed up late reading. No more!

Speaking of Rango, since he's 14 1/2 now, and past the usual 12-14 expected Greyhound lifespan, I get hypervigilant about signs of The End Approaching. A week ago, he seemed to be off his food. He let a bowl of food sit uneaten for most of a day, and this was stuff he normally loved. I went into overdrive - bought a tub of cottage cheese and a package of boneless chicken breasts, which I was going to boil and shred. Before I got around to boiling the chicken he was back to vacuuming up his food, and this whole week, he's not only been eating hungrily, but also he's been full of energy (for an old Greyhound). I took him for a walk the other evening and he set a pace I had trouble matching, and then he kept that up for the whole mile-long walk. Apparently nobody told the big galoot that he's really old.
Oddly, I’ve been behaving just like Rango these past few days. Energy to burn, and an appetite to go with it. A stark difference from just a week ago, and most of the winter. And we don’t even have real winter. Short days though, we do have. That could be it. Whatever it is, I’m happy for it.
Kudos to Rango!
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 03-09-24, 02:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Maybe next time, if I figure out where Winslow is.
Head west on the 40, after you pass Joseph City keep your eyes peeled, it has 3 or 4 exits, so kinda hard to miss.

I shoulda headed west today also, the Lake Havasu Deuces show was today! I need to start checking calendars on Friday evening I guess...

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-09-24, 02:20 PM
seedsbelize2

Weddings bring out the weird in people.

My son-in-law's childhood best friend is getting married in a few weeks in San Miguel. It's a small wedding with no bridesmaids or groomsmen. The bride, however, asked my daughter and another friend to wear a green dress to be a part of a small group of her friends wearing green dresses. My daughter bought 6 or 7 dresses, and only got approval after a big tussle. The friend bought 15 and all were rejected by the bride. They are both about to say "F it." and wear red or anything other than green.
San Miguel de Allende?

If it’s this precise, it seems a picture would do the trick

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 03-09-24 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 02:25 PM
seedsbelize2

Not as big a difference as one might think. I don’t have use of my non-dominant index finger and I miss it a lot. When it first came to be I said Whew!, and then the reality hit. Granted a whole hand would be a different story. Especially if you push a pencil for a living.
Old 03-09-24, 02:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
"Big Ring" 50 km race, wanted something longer today. 2nd / 64 total, 8 or so A's. I should have won the sprint but lost due to slacking off too soon before the line

A few other As went OTF pretty early on and I was scared to join so early. Gap was ~20s at one point and I thought I already lost. It closed to ~14s after a long downhill section on the Southern Coast and then I launched at the next rise and made contact. Some reshuffling up there due to the climbing from the jungle and we were 4 riders strong going into downtown. It was clear to me that I had the most snap so I launched at ~1 km and got 2 seconds.... so I slacked off and got pipped at the line. Classic tortoise and the hare lol.

Mr. Hrovatin was very impressive... bigger diesel type rider. We dropped him up some of the climbing but he would just motor back on. Very strong.

bridging to the front

should've won lol
Likes For TMonk:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.