Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weird bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Weird bottom bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-23, 03:27 PM
Kalz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird bottom bracket

Hi Folks. I have a Orbit Eclipse Countryman bike that I am restoring. Having trouble removing the BB. It is a square drive with only one side (LHS) with a key way machined into the cup flange. I placed a C spanner in the only 1 slot and applied a moderate torque and bugga me it cracked the flange. Anyone know what type of BB it could be. It has no tool machining slots flats etc on the drive side but as stated a single C spanner slot on non drive. Cheers Kal.
Old 05-27-23, 04:24 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Even without a pic, I know exactly what you are talking about.

I know how to do it.
Old 05-27-23, 04:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Even without a pic, I know exactly what you are talking about.

I know how to do it.
So what's the next step?
The OP has to beg so you have some sense of power?
Old 05-27-23, 05:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Bill- I think soyabean meant he has seen a lot of designs but can't figure out from the OP's description which one it might be. My poor Google search for images of "Orbit Eclipse Countryman bike" didn't help me...

There's a few questions I might want answers for before I feel confident on what to do. My lacking confidence thought is that the BB outer casing has a tapered fit to the drive side and the non drive side "cup" is what both helps axially align the BB and draw it into the BB shell ID. I've worked with plastic "cartridge" BB units that have used a mix of tapers and cup/rings. Thankfully not that many...

Can the OP tell us what the broken cup flange is made of? Andy
Old 05-27-23, 06:13 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Bill- I think soyabean meant he has seen a lot of designs but can't figure out from the OP's description which one it might be.....
I didn't read it that way at all.

I thought it might be the type that took the PARK HCW-11-

Old 05-27-23, 06:18 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I've got nothing on the BB but here's a rebuild thread of an 80's countryman with a few pictures: https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/356175/ . The BB shown is not the same.
Old 05-27-23, 07:16 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
So what's the next step?
The OP has to beg so you have some sense of power?
If the cup is mangled, and can't get a wrench on it, you can either back it out with a chisel, or spot weld an axle to it, and use an impact wrench, a little penetrant is a good idea. If you are going to repaint the frame the torch is your friend.
Old 05-27-23, 10:13 PM
Kalz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for replies folks. The BB appears to be steel (and rather brittle at that so definitely hardened steel). Have been soaking in good old CRC and will also use "mouses milk". I am restoring frame so will be replacing BB. Does anyone know of a great replacement BB.

Regards Kal
Old 05-28-23, 05:11 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Kalz
Hi Folks. I have a Orbit Eclipse Countryman bike that I am restoring. Having trouble removing the BB. It is a square drive with only one side (LHS) with a key way machined into the cup flange. I placed a C spanner in the only 1 slot and applied a moderate torque and bugga me it cracked the flange. Anyone know what type of BB it could be. It has no tool machining slots flats etc on the drive side but as stated a single C spanner slot on non drive. Cheers Kal.
OP: pictures would help greatly.

Though you can't add pictures to your posts as a new member, you can upload photos to a personal album you create in your user profile. If you do that and then post the fact you've done so, someone here will doubtless give a "pic assist" and post them on your behalf.