Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freedom Ryder - Lean to steer model LC-1???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 04:11 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

I know this is a longshot but giving it a try.

One of our clients was recently gifted a Lean-to-Steer Freedom Ryder LC-1 recumbent handcycle trike, It is 12 years old and the former owner took pretty good care of it but it has seen lots of miles.

Our client has virtually no use of his legs thus the need for this type of cycle.

As seen at the bottom of the 1st picture, under the seat, there is a "Damper piston" and this appears to be there to help keep the handcycle straight when pedaling. Our client is having a very difficult time keeping it straight and our theory is that the piston is shot as he flops from one side to the other side while trying to get it upright. I can see he is trying but at the same time it is frustrating that we lack the knowledge to advise him or properly diagnose the issue. We don't know if there is a learning curve involved here or there is a worn part. We were able to locate a few Youtube video of folk riding this and they appear to handle it very well.

Trying to locate the proper part for replacement has been difficult and hoping possibly someone here has dealt with the brand and can provide some incite and help. We have noted that other brands of handcycles use a spring (rather then a piston) between the fork and the frame to help straighten the front wheel.
This the 1st handcycle we have worked on so our experience is truly lacking to make a proper diagnosis and to understand the theory around this part to properly select a replacement.
We have tried contacting the manufacturer Freedom Ryder but they have not been very helpful, promising to get back to us but then falling silent.

Looking toward this forum's vast knowledge and experience it holds to share their wisdom on this.We were able to find a better picture of the Damper and positioning of it on their facebook page, see the last picture (set)

Thank you
Joe - The Bike Man

Old 06-13-23, 06:19 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Steering dampers are somewhat common in the motorcycle world. This sure looks like one. I'd suggest an online google search. Or perhaps a motorcycle shop could give some advice. Cool looking trike. Hope it works out.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 06-13-23, 07:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I agree, it looks very much like a motorcycle steering damper and a Google search or contacting local motorcycle shops may come up with a replacement. Is there any information engraved on that damper such as maker and model number?

You said you contacted Freedom Ryder. Did you e-mail or phone? Phone calls, particularly repetitive ones, are harder to ignore than e-mails. Their web site shows a somewhat different damper location and size on the current models from the one you are working on so they may have to go back in the archives to get you a part number.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-13-23, 08:11 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
+1^^^ That damper looks like it's rebuildable and possibly the knurled knob on the end of the shaft is an adjuster for resistance. If you can get it apart (look for wrench flats, pin tool holes, etc. on the black end caps) you may be able to just change the fluid which most bike shops and motorcycle shops carry in various viscosities for +/- resistance. Some require an addition of air/gas but hard to tell with yours. If no answers here try this motorcycle suspension forum https://45537.activeboard.com/f105037/suspension-tech/ Mostly pro tuners who also deal with steering dampers may be able to help or refer you to shops that can. Another shop in Florida I know is very highly rated for motorcycle suspension is https://kyleracingeast.com/
Of course, calling around to local bicycle shops may offer some help and rebuilds are usually not too expensive. Forgot to mention to first give the entire damper a good look for any markings that would tell you the mfr. or model and search for info or post it up here.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-13-23, 11:45 PM
gimp439

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I've been riding these Freedom Ryder LC-1s since 1994 and signed up to this forum just now to answer any questions you may have.

Older models (which it looks like you have) have a damper/stabilizer from Enidine. They are not rebuildable but you can get a new one - the company does still sell them. They should be adjustable by flipping a switch near the front. I don't know which model it is, but you can call them and they'll be able to help you
enidine.com/en-US/Products/ADAMain/ (I think this is the right one)

The newer models have a damper/stabilizer from Streamline Brakes. They're originally intended for ATVs.
streamlinebrakes.com/product-category/atv-utv-products/stabilizers/
The difference between the 7 and the 11 models is the levels of adjustability - the 7 has 7 degrees of adjustment, etc. Full open and Full closed should be the same on both models.

Post a close up picture of the stabilizer on yours and I can maybe help you out more.

The stabilizers exist to keep the bike from 'flopping' too easily when stationary.
At speed, the bike is very stable once you get a hang of it and the stabilizer doesn't really do anything while you ride. But learning these an be a little tricky, so dial in the stabilizer for max dampening until your client gets more comfortable getting on and off and can ride at speed. But know that max dampening will make turning much harder: the more difficult it is to lean side to side, the more difficult it is to turn the bike.

The one other major thing I would do is replace the bolt just behind the front wheel between the rider's legs. Get a high-strength steel bolt and replace it every 5 years depending on how much use it gets. Go for SAE grade 5 or higher or Metric Class 8.8 or higher. Another thing about that bolt is the more you tighten the nut on it, the larger the turning radius.

Oh yeah, Freedom Ryder's customer service is not good. It's a one-employee company and he can be pretty bad at responding.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by gimp439; 06-14-23 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-14-23, 02:10 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by gimp439
I've been riding these Freedom Ryder LC-1s since 1994 and signed up to this forum just now to answer any questions you may have.

Older models (which it looks like you have) have a damper/stabilizer from Enidine. They are not rebuildable but you can get a new one - the company does still sell them. They should be adjustable by flipping a switch near the front. I don't know which model it is, but you can call them and they'll be able to help you

The newer models have a damper/stabilizer from Streamline Brakes. They're originally intended for ATVs.
The difference between the 7 and the 11 models is the levels of adjustability - the 7 has 7 degrees of adjustment, etc. Full open and Full closed should be the same on both models.

Post a close up picture of the stabilizer on yours and I can maybe help you out more.

The stabilizers exist to keep the bike from 'flopping' too easily when stationary.
At speed, the bike is very stable once you get a hang of it and the stabilizer doesn't really do anything while you ride. But learning these an be a little tricky, so dial in the stabilizer for max dampening until your client gets more comfortable getting on and off and can ride at speed. But know that max dampening will make turning much harder: the more difficult it is to lean side to side, the more difficult it is to turn the bike.

The one other major thing I would do is replace the bolt just behind the front wheel between the rider's legs. Get a high-strength steel bolt and replace it every 5 years depending on how much use it gets. Go for SAE grade 5 or higher or Metric Class 8.8 or higher. Another thing about that bolt is the more you tighten the nut on it, the larger the turning radius.

Oh yeah, Freedom Ryder's customer service is not good. It's a one-employee company and he can be pretty bad at responding.

THANK YOU and not sure how you learned of this thread, welcome to the Bike Forums

You provided a wealth of information
Let me better describe things and address items you pointed out

I was told by the person we bought it from that it was 12 years +/- old and he was the original owner. (West Palm Beach, Florida)

The handcycle is currently in use by the client and he is homeless so I only get to see him when he shows up at a homeless help facility where we run a portable bike shop operation every other week but I stopped by there yesterday (off week) just to check on the steering issue and make some observation. So the next time I hope to see him is next Tuesday for adjustments and get a closeup picture of the damper.

when I checked yesterday, without the rider, the wheel does return to center but there was no noticeable difference of return feel with the damper switch in either position. The client was in with one of the counselors and unfortunately I couldn't stay and wait for him as I was on my way to a meeting in another town.

When you said "so dial in the stabilizer for max dampening" I am presuming you are talking about the switch lever unless I missed something to "dial". I have never removed the damper as I prefer to have a replacement part first.
I hate myself when I take something off a bike and it falls apart in my hands making the bike worse then when I got it and not having a way to repair it.

I will definitely replace that bolt and see if that helps and make contact with the links you provided for a replacement part

Yes, Michael at Freedom Ryder promises to call when he has time but I'm still waiting on him after several attempts.

Old 06-14-23, 03:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Before going crazy about a possible mechanical problem, consider the possibility o a rider learning curve issue

Trikes like this are "balanced" or kept upright rhe same way as regular two wheeled bikes. That is that they are brought upright by steering to bring the bike (trike) back under the rider.

Steering geometry helps, but at low speed rider input is needed. So, for someone new, it's just like teaching z child to ride on two wheels.

Test ride yourself on a sloped parking lot and see if it can properly balance when coasted downhill. If so, keep in mind that the damper isn't there to steer the trike, but to insulate it from the side forces pedaling impart.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-14-23, 11:14 PM
gimp439

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
when I checked yesterday, without the rider, the wheel does return to center but there was no noticeable difference of return feel with the damper switch in either position. The client was in with one of the counselors and unfortunately I couldn't stay and wait for him as I was on my way to a meeting in another town.

When you said "so dial in the stabilizer for max dampening" I am presuming you are talking about the switch lever unless I missed something to "dial".
On the older Enidine model, there is a lever you switch back and forth.
On the newer Streamline model, it's a dial knob at the end.

FBinNY is right: there is a big learning curve with one of these. Tell your client to be patient. What is their injury/condition and do they have core/trunk support and control?

When stationary, it is very easy to flop from side to side if you're not used to it. That doesn't mean anything is wrong. Just like with a normal bike, the slower you go the less stable you are. Getting a new stabilizer/damper will only help stability when stationary.

What you can do to make sure the stabilizer is broken is to remove it entirely and actuate it between your hands. Compress and extend it with the lever in both positions. If it actually does feel the same in either position, then yes, you need a new stabilizer. Check for leaking oil on the unit, too.

If it's the Enidine model you have, call them. You'll need the lengths between the center of the two bolt holes on each end both compressed and extended. Like, "compressed it's 12.5" center-to-center and extended it's 17" center-to-center". I'm pretty sure it's the ADA model I linked to previously.

note: the lever linking the two tiny dials on the Enidine is not OEM. Freedom Ryder added it so you can adjust both the extension and compression dampening at the same time. If you get a new one from Enidine, it will not have that lever.

Last edited by gimp439; 06-14-23 at 11:19 PM.
Likes For gimp439:
Old 06-15-23, 01:17 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

On the older Enidine model, there is a lever you switch back and forth.
On the newer Streamline model, it's a dial knob at the end.

FBinNY is right: there is a big learning curve with one of these. Tell your client to be patient. What is their injury/condition and do they have core/trunk support and control?

When stationary, it is very easy to flop from side to side if you're not used to it. That doesn't mean anything is wrong. Just like with a normal bike, the slower you go the less stable you are. Getting a new stabilizer/damper will only help stability when stationary.

What you can do to make sure the stabilizer is broken is to remove it entirely and actuate it between your hands. Compress and extend it with the lever in both positions. If it actually does feel the same in either position, then yes, you need a new stabilizer. Check for leaking oil on the unit, too.

If it's the Enidine model you have, call them. You'll need the lengths between the center of the two bolt holes on each end both compressed and extended. Like, "compressed it's 12.5" center-to-center and extended it's 17" center-to-center". I'm pretty sure it's the ADA model I linked to previously.

note: the lever linking the two tiny dials on the Enidine is not OEM. Freedom Ryder added it so you can adjust both the extension and compression dampening at the same time. If you get a new one from Enidine, it will not have that lever.
Once again, great info, also sent you a PM with our general info

Old 06-17-23, 12:18 AM
gimp439

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
One thing to think about: is this the best handcycle for your client? Would they be better off with something like a Top End Excelerator?
topendwheelchair.invacare.com/excelerator/product/XCL

The Freedom Ryder isn't a beginner handcycle.

This would probably go against the spirit of the donation, but you could sell it for $1500+ and get your client something better suited to their needs.
ebay.com/itm/175714641307
Old 06-17-23, 02:21 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

One thing to think about: is this the best handcycle for your client? Would they be better off with something like a Top End Excelerator?
topendwheelchair.invacare.com/excelerator/product/XCL

The Freedom Ryder isn't a beginner handcycle.

This would probably go against the spirit of the donation, but you could sell it for $1500+ and get your client something better suited to their needs.
ebay.com/itm/175714641307
Very valid question and you may have something there.

We had been searching for the 1st three months for someone to donate one without success. When that failed we started looking on a few of the specialty Facebook sites and ebay for a reasonably priced used one for him.

We thought we had one deal via ebay but after accepting the buyer's offer, he then wanted to raise the price. We moved on to one we found on a Facebook specialty site. As we were working on a very low budget, and we were willing to pickup anywhere in the state of Florida, the possibilities were limited. Our experience in this area being none did not help in understanding the differences between models.

I will most likely see him this coming Tuesday when our portable shop makes a stop at the homeless facility and see how he is doing with it. It will also give me a chance to better evaluate the damper piston and the hardware mounting it.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 06-17-23 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 06-17-23, 10:13 PM
gimp439

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Here's one in Panama City
ebay.com/itm/234851289982

What is your client's disability and how would they use the handcycle? for recreation? for basic transportation? as a wheelchair substitute?
Can they walk at all?
Old 06-18-23, 01:08 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Here's one in Panama City
ebay.com/itm/234851289982

What is your client's disability and how would they use the handcycle? for recreation? for basic transportation? as a wheelchair substitute?
Can they walk at all?
Believe it or not, that is the same guy (and ebay listing) I was talking about in my previous post,

His original listing was at about $1,500, I wrote him about donating it and said he couldn't afford to do that. He then lowered the price to about $1000 so I wrote him again, back and forth with ebay messaging and he then proposed to me $500 if I pick it up in Panama City (original listing, he hinted about meeting 1/2 way.), I answered & agreed and suggested he modify his offer to include "Best Offer" which I would reply to and then pay him to close the deal. He came back and said no, he wanted me to drive the 5+ hours to him, pay him cash ($500) outside of ebay. He then said he couldn't finish it on ebay because of fees , this is revised listing lowered it to $550. I walked away from him because of the underhandedness, and frankly I no longer trusted him. I also buy many regular bike parts on ebay and understand the consequences of dealing outside of them on a listing.
BTW, I found out he represents a Pawn shop so he is already shady.

As far as your last question(s), the client will be using it for basic transportation, he can walk with crutches but with extreme difficulty. I do not actually know the reason behind or the extent of his disability.

Our volunteer bike shop takes in and repairs about 2,200 donated bikes a year for those in need. A vast majority of these are 2-wheel versions with a few adult trikes thrown in. We rarely "buy" any bicycles but will occasionally take one in a trade for one that we have for sale. We have a great network of folks and organizations after doing this for 9 years, in fact sometimes we are forced to stop taking in donations as we have limited storage space.

Old 07-13-23, 05:19 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Was finally able to remove the part, photo it and found the part number,

Yes, you are correct, the part is made by Enidine and is model ADA 510. I have sent them an email this morning and hope for a positive reply, Thanks again for your help

Likes For JoeTBM: