Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain swings between pulleys and is hitting derailleur cage.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 01:13 AM
sualfred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey there,

I'm driving a Cube Attention (2023) L/29" with a 2x11 drive and I'm having troubles with my derailleur.The chain swings as hell and always hits the small metal piece of the cage (Leitblech in German, dunno if "baffle" is the correct word?).

What I've already tried:
Switched from Deore M4120 to M5120
Switched chains (a new one works for some kilometres)
Switched derailleur hanger
Checked the derailleur hanger for correct allignment
Cleaned and oiled the pulleys
Readjusted the derailleur for 128392737x times (B/H/L screws + tension)
Tested 112 instead of 114 chain links (11x42T cassette, 450mm distance, 36T on the big chainring. 114 should be the correct size based on the calculators)

Any idea anyone? It's driving me nuts!

(@mods I'm sorry to bypass your 10 posts rejection for external links, but I don't wanna spam useless things to other threads and the files are toooooo for an attachment here)

For the videos, please manually remove the spacer of the urls

Short clip in normal speed:
amazon . de /photos/share/6BbIWgJHTabf5B0OJ5vWBj1PSkEfHWmlzxmKvQXiZaG

Slow motion (very noticable at 40s<
amazon . de/photos/share/77GXhbiTi4KLpmQWEy7RONkK7QuAIcYnrhgIWZYzjcz

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by sualfred; 07-09-23 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 08:07 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I think I know what is wrong.

the pulleys are switched top to bottom. The "tell" is that the top pulley has the "shoulder" on it for better shifting, and the bottom pulley is a little bit larger.

Take the whole cage apart and put the bottom pulley on the top, and put the top pulley on the bottom. will shift better too

Be sure to check that the pulleys are going the right direction - the shimano 11 speed pulleys have "arrows" ( -> ) pointing the direction of correct rotation

I think that's it.

do that and report back !

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 07-09-23 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-09-23, 08:36 AM
sualfred

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I think I know what is wrong.

the pulleys are switched top to bottom. The "tell" is that the top pulley has the "shoulder" on it for better shifting, and the bottom pulley is a little bit larger.

Take the whole cage apart and put the bottom pulley on the top, and put the top pulley on the bottom. will shift better too

Be sure to check that the pulleys are going the right direction - the shimano 11 speed pulleys have "arrows" ( -> ) pointing the direction of correct rotation

I think that's it.

do that and report back !

/markp
thanks, but they are correct. Bottom one is the tension pulley and the one with the larger teeths is the guide pulley. Only the tension pulley has an arrow for the direction.
Old 07-09-23, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I consider myself a pretty avid DIYer. However for 2023 bike, it's new enough that I'd take it back to the shop I bought it from and expect that they'd fix the issue for free. Unless they could show that it is something resulting from my mistakes. If you bought it online, then call them. They might ask you to take it to a authorized dealer or repair facility. If for nothing else than a free estimate of what it will take to make it work again.

Long ago, taking bikes to the shop gave me a chance to watch the mechanic as they worked on bikes and I learned a lot just from watching.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-09-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-09-23, 01:54 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
I can't see from the vid so just throwing this out there. Are you sure the upper pulley isn't too close and contacting the cassette teeth and is the chain routed through the top of the cage properly, i.e. not riding over one of the cage tabs?
Old 07-09-23, 04:45 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Link assist:

https://www.amazon.de/photos/share/7...SBGhMQv_O2CLyA

Sure looks like the problem is the intersection of the jockey (upper) teeth and chain.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-09-23, 05:30 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
look at the teeth on your Smallest sprocket on the Cassette... now, compare them to the teeth on the top jockey wheel...

the tooth profile of the jockey wheel is your problem.
file 1mm off of each jockey tooth, then radius the tops

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12559495309...72bf7982ca9ac1

Last edited by maddog34; 07-09-23 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-10-23, 12:55 AM
sualfred

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I already tried that. Nothing changed. Exactly the same behaviour. I'm running out of ideas.
Old 07-10-23, 06:45 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Very strange. I’d be tempted to just remove the offending tab. Is it possible that something is interfering with derailer tension? Also, with the chain removed, do the pulleys spin freely?

Last edited by frankenmike; 07-10-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 08:44 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
The teeth on the upper jockey wheel are too wide for the chain.
WAG: wrong chain.
Old 07-10-23, 08:49 AM
sualfred

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by frankenmike
Very strange. I’d be tempted to just remove the offending tab. Is it possible that something is interfering with derailer tension? Also, with the chain removed, do the pulleys spin freely?
Yep, they spin freely, but I also find the complete chain movement a little bit loud. And it vibrates as soon as it swings. But no clue why, every gear shifts perfectly.

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
The teeth on the upper jockey wheel are too wide for the chain.
WAG: wrong chain.
The chain is correct HG701-11. I would paste a link or screenshot of the Shimano compatiblity list, but the board won't let me do it yet It also fits perfectly in the pulley.
Old 07-10-23, 08:56 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by sualfred
Yep, they spin freely, but I also find the complete chain movement a little bit loud. And it vibrates as soon as it swings. But no clue why, every gear shifts perfectly.

The chain is correct HG701-11. I would paste a link or screenshot of the Shimano compatiblity list, but the board won't let me do it yet It also fits perfectly in the pulley.
Please post a shot of the chain alignment from the direct from zero (directly behind) perspective. we can't see the meshing of the chain to the pulley from a non-zero angle perspective.
Old 07-10-23, 08:57 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
One last thing-try sizing the chain manually using the big-big +1 method.
Old 07-10-23, 09:08 AM
Schweinhund

Something in either your model or setup is not correct. That something is in an isolated area that frankly is dead assed simple to diagnose.
Derailleur hanger, derailleur, chain, chain alignment (shifter/derailleur adjustment)
From the sound/visual the first thing I thought was the jockey wheel riding on the side plate of the chain and then shifting over and dropping into the link.
initial thought is that you would catch that. now I'm not so sure.
Old 07-10-23, 09:11 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
That's weird - looks like the tension pulley is too small, but that's not likely from the factory. I'd try fitting a larger one anyway, they're really cheap on AliExpress
Old 07-10-23, 09:18 AM
sualfred

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please post a shot of the chain alignment from the direct from zero (directly behind) perspective. we can't see the meshing of the chain to the pulley from a non-zero angle perspective.
I did that yesterday for a German board, are these pics what u r asking for?
(sorry, had to bypass the external link protection again)
amazon . de/photos/share/TjjJ8gsyQf9dUHHpbdwmAeU7nifmd3vhkCveJ6ddST0

There is also a slowmo from the back. It's possible that some pictures or the video have a different b-screw setting and a shorten guide pulley. But nothing made a difference.

Originally Posted by frankenmike
One last thing-try sizing the chain manually using the big-big +1 method.
I did that when I was installing the M5120 at the same time (112 links). Tried a few rounds around the block and it was toooo short. Hard to shift (especially on the biggest one). The chain tension was from hell and on big/big there was nearly no play left. The cage was sitting around 3-4 o'clock in this combination.
The shipped chain had 114 links so I reverted back and the tension is absolutely okay. If I would add 2 links more, it won't be tight enough for small/small or small/big.

Something in either your model or setup is not correct. That something is in an isolated area that frankly is dead assed simple to diagnose.
Derailleur hanger, derailleur, chain, chain alignment (shifter/derailleur adjustment)
From the sound/visual the first thing I thought was the jockey wheel riding on the side plate of the chain and then shifting over and dropping into the link.
initial thought is that you would catch that. now I'm not so sure.
Deraileur hanger adjusted, replaced, and adjusted again.
The first installed chain was a KMC x11 which is even worse. Than I replaced it with a 701 and it was fine for 100km< and out of nowhere it started again.
Installed a third chain, again a 701, fine for a few minutes, problem was back.
Old 07-10-23, 09:21 AM
Schweinhund

There is also a slowmo from the back. It's possible that some pictures or the video have a different b-screw setting and a shorten guide pulley. But nothing made a difference.

I did that when I was installing the M5120 at the same time (112 links). Tried a few rounds around the block and it was toooo short. Hard to shift (especially on the biggest one). The chain tension was from hell and on big/big there was nearly no play left. The cage was sitting around 3-4 o'clock in this combination.
The shipped chain had 114 links so I reverted back and the tension is absolutely okay. If I would add 2 links more, it won't be tight enough for small/small or small/big.

The first installed chain was a KMC x11 which is even worse. Than I replaced it with a 701 and it was fine for 100km< and out of nowhere it started again.
Post the picture/video I asked for and maybe we can figure it out. I'm going to stop with the conjecture. Need more info.
Old 07-10-23, 09:24 AM
sualfred

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post the picture/video I asked for and maybe we can figure it out. I'm going to stop with the conjecture. Need more info.
I'm having problems to understand which perspective u want exactly. EN is not my native language, sorry
Old 07-10-23, 09:31 AM
Schweinhund

I and many of the gentlepersons here have been working on electro-mechanical devices for all of our days.
We fix stuff. Given all of the data we need we can figure out most anything. Something is missing here.
The chain issue just makes me think your adjustment is incorrect. You put a new chain on force side plate wear and once the side to side wear is a issue it makes noise because the chain isn't holding alignment anymore. The chain isn't supposed to hold alignment, the cable/ screw stops do that.
Old 07-10-23, 09:44 AM
Schweinhund

I think this is what you have going on, a slight mis-alignment. it's wearing the sides of your chains out.
zero angle.

just barely misaligned. the high limit screw is the problem
Old 07-10-23, 12:22 PM
sualfred

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think this is what you have going on, a slight mis-alignment. it's wearing the sides of your chains out.
zero angle.
just barely misaligned. the high limit screw is the problem
I don't have really room for the H-screw. If I slightly increase it, it will rub on the gear. Loosen it doesn't change anything.

amazon . de/photos/share/uDNNs1Rp4qe8hAxCzvBYmDBfRO3oPGnjbv16Hvm6wF1
and from above:
amazon . de/photos/share/PXC4A1mWkepwyLyuMUFlajgz9mImseeO5Qk84hmGvP2
Old 07-10-23, 12:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
It looks to me like the lower pulley is too small. As mpetry912 commented earlier, I think the pulleys are in the wrong spots. The larger pulley should be on the bottom.

EDIT: This ^^^ is incorrect. The jockey wheels are in the correct placement for the M5120 derailleur.

Last edited by Eric F; 07-10-23 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-10-23, 01:05 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It looks to me like the lower pulley is too small. As mpetry912 commented earlier, I think the pulleys are in the wrong spots. The larger pulley should be on the bottom.
thanks EricF sualfred suggest you swap the pulleys.

otherwise you're just grinding it up

you asked for help, you have a recommendation, make the change and report the results

help us help you

/markp
Old 07-10-23, 01:29 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I thought so too but lets put this to rest. Large pully on top, small on the bottom for this derailleur. SHIMANO DEORE Rear Derailleur SHIMANO SHADOW RD+ 2/11, 1x10, 2x10-speed | SHIMANO BIKE-US
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-10-23, 01:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I thought so too but lets put this to rest. Large pully on top, small on the bottom for this derailleur. SHIMANO DEORE Rear Derailleur SHIMANO SHADOW RD+ 2/11, 1x10, 2x10-speed | SHIMANO BIKE-US
Yes. I just found a pic of the back side of the M5120 that clarifies the proper position. My previous assessment is incorrect.

Looking at the video, I don't understand why the chain is bouncing so much. Something isn't right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.