Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weight loss and riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight loss and riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 07:02 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Weight loss and riding

I rode today after a sorta layoff of a few months.
I am 65 and overweight. I found all kinds of reasons to not ride- mainly because it just easn’t fun.
Since February 1st I have lost 75 pounds. I was 305 and am now 227. I plan to lose at least another 30-40.
Today while riding I noticed my bike was easier to pedal and I wasn’t worn out after 5 miles like I was. I am going to have to get it in my head that my body has changed.
I even rode in the drops a little. I couldn’t before due to my gut being in the way.
I may have to readjust my bike to how I am now.
Just wanted to brag a little. I felt really good after only 5 miles. I will do more tomorrow.
I just realized that my hands didn’t go numb either.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 11-14-23 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-14-23, 07:04 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Good stuff man
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-14-23, 07:49 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Good on ya!
Old 11-14-23, 08:22 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Good stuff. Yes, it's easier to ride a bike when you're 75lbs lighter. I did the same thing. Lost 65 lbs.
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-14-23, 08:27 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by frdfandc
Good stuff. Yes, it's easier to ride a bike when you're 75lbs lighter. I did the same thing. Lost 65 lbs.
I noticed I was faster in the drops. I have no idea why.
Old 11-14-23, 10:50 PM
frdfandc

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I noticed I was faster in the drops. I have no idea why.
Probably because you can get in the drops more comfortably now.
Old 11-14-23, 11:11 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Probably because you can get in the drops more comfortably now.
Is riding in the drops faster?
Old 11-15-23, 01:15 AM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Can be. Depends on what you are doing, but you are more aerodynamic when in the drops, so if you are going downhill, or are hitting it on a flat, the drops are faster.

I usually go into the drops when I intend to go faster primarily because it is more stable at higher speeds. Being in the drops being more stable makes going faster feel better, feel faster, and cuts the wind better, so… there are a lot of reasons.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 11-15-23, 02:40 AM
CookieCycler19

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good job mate! Keep going!
Likes For CookieCycler19:
Old 11-15-23, 03:19 AM
ACHiPo 

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
I rode today after a sorta layoff of a few months.
I am 65 and overweight. I found all kinds of reasons to not ride- mainly because it just easn’t fun.
Since February 1st I have lost 75 pounds. I was 305 and am now 227. I plan to lose at least another 30-40.
Today while riding I noticed my bike was easier to pedal and I wasn’t worn out after 5 miles like I was. I am going to have to get it in my head that my body has changed.
I even rode in the drops a little. I couldn’t before due to my gut being in the way.
I may have to readjust my bike to how I am now.
Just wanted to brag a little. I felt really good after only 5 miles. I will do more tomorrow.
I just realized that my hands didn’t go numb either.
great work!
Likes For ACHiPo:
Old 11-15-23, 11:09 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Your bike will help you keep it off. Job is never done.
Old 11-15-23, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
I can relate. Many moons ago, while in college, I lost 90 in 9 months thanks to diet change (not dieting) and riding.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-23, 12:32 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I can relate. Many moons ago, while in college, I lost 90 in 9 months thanks to diet change (not dieting) and riding.
What I am doing is also more diet change. I cut out any processed sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. basically I eliminated as many carbs as possible.
i found a keto friendly bread. Sola has 1 net card and has the taste and texture of regular wheat bread.
I’m not suffering or craving any of the crap I gave up. I will cheat now and then- Texas Roadhouse rolls are really good. I ate one 3 weeks ago and felt guilty after but dang it was good. That was the first regular bread since January.
This will be easy to maintain after I hit my goal weight.
Old 11-15-23, 12:43 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
It reduces your frontal area and thus aerodynamic drag, so it's useful if you're riding into a headwind, riding fast on the flat or coasting downhill. It also allows you to brake harder, as it lowers your centre of mass so you're less likely to go over the handlebar.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 11-15-23, 01:38 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
I'd probably die first before I give up my wife's home fried potatoes. Everything else is fine.
Old 11-15-23, 01:56 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by grumpus
It reduces your frontal area and thus aerodynamic drag, so it's useful if you're riding into a headwind, riding fast on the flat or coasting downhill. It also allows you to brake harder, as it lowers your centre of mass so you're less likely to go over the handlebar.
I first noticed it on an indoor bike at the gym. The only thing I changed was my hand position from a mostly upright position to almost laying on the aero pads. After a few seconds to settle in I saw my speed was up.
Old 11-15-23, 02:00 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
I'd probably die first before I give up my wife's home fried potatoes. Everything else is fine.
No potatoes. Nothing breaded and fried. Flour has carbs, potatoes have a lot of carbs.
I eat Mission carb balance tortillas that are 4 net carbs each. I even bake my own chips from them.
I bought an air fryer and use it for chicken breast and nuggets.
I really don’t miss what I used to eat.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-15-23, 03:18 PM
frdfandc

No potatoes. Nothing breaded and fried. Flour has carbs, potatoes have a lot of carbs.
I eat Mission carb balance tortillas that are 4 net carbs each. I even bake my own chips from them.
I went low carb. No sugar other than carbs. No alcohol. Everything in moderation with smaller meal sizes with lots of physical activity at work and at home. Dropped 85 lbs down from 232. I plateaued at 200. Went to intermittent fasting. Lost the remaining weight. Then I put on another 15 lbs in weight between muscle and some fat. I was too skinny at 155. Feel 10000000% better at 170-175 lbs now.
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-15-23, 04:56 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I went low carb. No sugar other than carbs. No alcohol. Everything in moderation with smaller meal sizes with lots of physical activity at work and at home. Dropped 85 lbs down from 232. I plateaued at 200. Went to intermittent fasting. Lost the remaining weight. Then I put on another 15 lbs in weight between muscle and some fat. I was too skinny at 155. Feel 10000000% better at 170-175 lbs now.
I try to keep under 20 carbs. I also do intermittent fasting.
I am 65 now. I was an athlete in high school. Graduated with very little body fat. Then started drinking beer like they were going to stop brewing it and eating everything I saw. I was 205 at 18. By 20 I was 265. I dropped down to around 235 working in public works. I retired after 20 years with the city in 2020. By January of this year I was up to 305 and was thoroughly disgusted with myself so I started low carb. I got down to 230 a month ago and have been around 227-228 for a few weeks. My first goal is 200. My ultimate goal is 165-175.
My body just doesn’t respond like it used to. In the mid ‘80s I was 275 and decided to lose it. In a month and a half I was at 210 by eating once per day-a salad from a salad bar. Sometimes I got busy and didn’t eat. I just can’t lose it like that now.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-15-23, 06:18 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Good for you!
What you did was priceless. No amount of money could buy you a bike 75 lbs. lighter than what you are riding, no wonder it feels easier.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 11-15-23, 06:50 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
I first noticed it on an indoor bike at the gym. The only thing I changed was my hand position from a mostly upright position to almost laying on the aero pads. After a few seconds to settle in I saw my speed was up.
When you lean forward and brace against the handlebar you can probably put more force into the pedals - sitting upright you're mostly just relying on gravity to push them down.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 11-15-23, 08:32 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Wife and I use those same low carb torts. But we haven't tried making chips with them. Have to give that a try.

We are also big fans of the Ole Xtreme Wellness Spinach & Herbs Tortilla Wraps. We're not low carb or keto dieters. Just doing Weight Watchers and the less processed the better. And that generally results in much lower carbs. I'm not even sure how low carb these Ole wraps are, but my mega keto diet son-in-law eats them. So, they must be relatively low carb.

To the OP. Good job on the weight loss and diet adjustment. And of course the bike riding. I agree, once you stop eating all the junk, you just don't want or at least crave it anymore.

As for speed. as mentioned smaller is more aero. But also your rolling resistance is directly proportional to your total weight (you and the bike). You could easily be using 50 to 100 W of power on rolling resistance depending on your tires and of course speed. Good road tires can bring that down to a 3rd that. Your weight loss may have dropped it about 25% or so. So, there are reasons you would need less power and effort to go the same speed. And I'm sure you're getting fitter on the bike as well.

Looks like you have the exercise and diet headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-15-23, 08:50 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Mtracer
Wife and I use those same low carb torts. But we haven't tried making chips with them. Have to give that a try.

We are also big fans of the Ole Xtreme Wellness Spinach & Herbs Tortilla Wraps. We're not low carb or keto dieters. Just doing Weight Watchers and the less processed the better. And that generally results in much lower carbs. I'm not even sure how low carb these Ole wraps are, but my mega keto diet son-in-law eats them. So, they must be relatively low carb.

To the OP. Good job on the weight loss and diet adjustment. And of course the bike riding. I agree, once you stop eating all the junk, you just don't want or at least crave it anymore.

As for speed. as mentioned smaller is more aero. But also your rolling resistance is directly proportional to your total weight (you and the bike). You could easily be using 50 to 100 W of power on rolling resistance depending on your tires and of course speed. Good road tires can bring that down to a 3rd that. Your weight loss may have dropped it about 25% or so. So, there are reasons you would need less power and effort to go the same speed. And I'm sure you're getting fitter on the bike as well.

Looks like you have the exercise and diet headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work!
I take 5 Mission Carb Balance tortillas and cut them into triangles on a cutting board with a pizza cutter. I put parchment paper on a couple of cookie sheets while my gas oven preheats to 350*. I spray tje triangles with an avocado oil spray and sprinkle kosher salt on them. A lot of that won’t stick. I put them in the oven and bake at 350 for 16 minutes.
Add salsa or rotel queso or guacamole and it’scall good and still healthy- if you can believe that.
Old 11-15-23, 10:50 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I take 5 Mission Carb Balance tortillas and cut them into triangles on a cutting board with a pizza cutter. I put parchment paper on a couple of cookie sheets while my gas oven preheats to 350*. I spray tje triangles with an avocado oil spray and sprinkle kosher salt on them. A lot of that won’t stick. I put them in the oven and bake at 350 for 16 minutes.
Add salsa or rotel queso or guacamole and it’scall good and still healthy- if you can believe that.
Great! Thanks for the recipe.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 11-15-23, 10:57 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Mtracer
Great! Thanks for the recipe.
They are actually pretty good. They aren’t Tostitos but they are good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.