Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shipping a bike to Mexico City bike shop for assembly?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 10:01 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts

Girlfriend and I are moving to Mexico City in a few months. We’ll be landing with just backpacking bags and suitcases and staying in an Airbnb while looking at apartments. We won’t be bringing our cars. Id like to have our bikes shipped from a bike shop here to a shop there and be able to pick them up assembled.

I know this can be done at various shops in the states but am curious if anybody has experience doing this internationally (and by chance to Mexico City specifically. Long shot, I know).

Not a particularly vintage topic but this is the forum I know and they are vintage bikes
Old 03-17-24, 02:09 PM
Ocelotl 

Bikes: '83 Specialized Allez by 3Rensho; '71 Colin Cape; '80 Gios Torino; '76 Eisentraut Limited; 80's Francisco Cuevas Rando; '96 Waterford 2200; Eisentraut Model A;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'd find a top-tier shop (as in top-brand dealer) close enough to the airbnb and call to find out what shipper they use and details. WeRBikes comes to mind but there are others. If it's in the neighborhood where expats usually live, they're sure to speak English if you don't speak Spanish. Or post the question to a well-known fb group like Ciclistas Unidos CDMX. There's probably no need to say it but it's like any other huge metro area: bring your bike inside and secure it. I'd never let a good bike out of my sight there or anywhere
Old 03-19-24, 02:20 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Ocelotl
I'd find a top-tier shop (as in top-brand dealer) close enough to the airbnb and call to find out what shipper they use and details. WeRBikes comes to mind but there are others. If it's in the neighborhood where expats usually live, they're sure to speak English if you don't speak Spanish. Or post the question to a well-known fb group like Ciclistas Unidos CDMX. There's probably no need to say it but it's like any other huge metro area: bring your bike inside and secure it. I'd never let a good bike out of my sight there or anywhere
Thanks for the lead, I'll check them out. And my girlfriend speaks Spanish so she'll do some calling as it gets closer, I just always like to run my bicycle related questions by this group for anecdotes. And agreed, it is very rare that I lock my bike up anywhere. It typically comes inside of buildings with me if I don't have a constant view of it through a window. The only place I'd consider doing otherwise is in Japan.
Old 03-19-24, 07:22 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I live in Mexico and have never shipped a bike from the US to here. A few years ago I was going to ship a frame from Mexico to the US, and didn't do it because the cost was very high. Hopefully you'll have better luck, but there are lots of nice bikes in Mexico City, and you might consider just buying a couple once you arrive.
Old 03-19-24, 07:40 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by kroozer
I live in Mexico and have never shipped a bike from the US to here. A few years ago I was going to ship a frame from Mexico to the US, and didn't do it because the cost was very high. Hopefully you'll have better luck, but there are lots of nice bikes in Mexico City, and you might consider just buying a couple once you arrive.
This very well may happen, I'm just very attached to my bike so if we can find a reasonable way to do it we will. We will have a small storage unit in the states holding a good amount of our stuff so our current bikes can stay there if needed. Thanks for the input.