Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Hate Riding Back the Same Way You Came?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 06:53 PM
abstractform20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i cant stand it. the roads leading to my lair are pretty boring/ugly for the first 10 or so miles.

usually, i will go out for 1-2hrs and do intervals or just try to keep a good pace (for myself).

i hate hate hate hate these roads...but even more, i think i hate loading a bike to drive 20-30 minutes somewhere else...

every so often i get tempted to put headphones on, but i still refrain from doing so.

tips? or am i just stuck with hate?
Old 02-04-12, 06:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22638 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
Ride more.

Hate less.
Old 02-04-12, 06:58 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
Ride more.

Hate less.
i ride when priorities allow me...and envy those who are surrounded by beautiful roads and trails...
Old 02-04-12, 06:58 PM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
tips?
look both ways twice before crossing a busy intersection
Old 02-04-12, 07:00 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmr1923
look both ways twice before crossing a busy intersection
noted. should i tie my shoes?
Old 02-04-12, 07:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Nope.

Most of our routes around here are out-and-back ... that's just how it is.

The route we're considering today will be a very gradual climb ... and then we'll turn around at some point and have the descent all the way back home. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-04-12, 07:11 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i cant stand it. the roads leading to my lair are pretty boring/ugly for the first 10 or so miles.

usually, i will go out for 1-2hrs and do intervals or just try to keep a good pace (for myself).

i hate hate hate hate these roads...but even more, i think i hate loading a bike to drive 20-30 minutes somewhere else...

every so often i get tempted to put headphones on, but i still refrain from doing so.

based off what you post, i recommend:

move somewhere "beautiful" so you don't have to look at "ugly" roads...

or perhaps get a new hobby.

if you really like cycling, you wouldn't care where you rode, you would enjoy being on the bike. if you honestly don't like being on the bike (and there is nothing wrong with that. most people don't like being on the bike and don't like cycling), then perhaps you shouldn't be cycling....

i'm not trying to be mean or a d!ck. ask yourself, honestly, why you ride a bike. perhaps there is something else you may enjoy more that gives you what you are looking for.

sorry, i just don't understand....also...why don't you wear headphones if that would make it better? i wear them all the time.

Last edited by pablosnazzy; 02-04-12 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 07:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,088 Posts
Hate's a bit of a strong word. I prefer to return a different way, and tend to take unfamiliar roads whenever possible.
Old 02-04-12, 07:29 PM
nealjoslyn
We haven't located us yet

Bikes: Hong Fu, Mercier Kilo tt, Cannondale 2.8, Takara Grand Touring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downtube42
Hate's a bit of a strong word. I prefer to return a different way, and tend to take unfamiliar roads whenever possible.
+1

I generally avoid backtracking, but I don't worry about it too much.
Old 02-04-12, 07:39 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Retracing ain't a big deal. I do dislike doing "laps" during a ride though.
Old 02-04-12, 07:47 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Many of my routes from my house are out and back, or out - circle around something- and back. I really don't mind it as the scenery and the roads are a-okay, I guess I am one of those people who is surrounded by good roads (except for good climbs). I do often keep serching out new routes though. Keeping with the same routes is a sure way to boredom, but the flipside to that is that you can get really good performance tracking on your rides. Just keep trying to push yourself harder on the boring parts.

Last edited by RJM; 02-04-12 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 07:47 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you move? It's a bummer to have to do 20 junk miles in every ride.

I prefer loops to out-and-backs, and am lucky to live in a place where I have a lot of choices, but it's kind of inevitable that I ride the roads near home a lot. I have nice roads near home. THis is not an accident.

When we bought a house a couple of years ago, location with respect to riding from home was one of the top decision factors. When we picked the Boulder area to live in, a few years before that, a cycle- & climbing- friendly city was the very top factor.
Old 02-04-12, 08:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,421 Times in 1,946 Posts
That's why I like living in a relatively small town. It only takes 5 minutes or so before I'm out of town on low traffic roads.
Old 02-04-12, 08:07 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,813 Posts
No hate, but I will say that I prefer to take loops to out and backs. New roads are always prettier.

Old 02-04-12, 08:37 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like the loops, but don't mind a double up as long as I am out, I am happy.
Old 02-04-12, 08:42 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Out and back or loop really doesn't matter to me. I like riding in new territory but as long as I'm on a bike, I'm happy. I have a job where I am frequently on call and have to stay within a specified distance (time) of the facility, so I'll even ride laps or criss-cross through local streets just to get time in. Even the very familiar is a lot more interesting from the saddle.
Old 02-04-12, 08:45 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13730 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 2,516 Posts
Out and back routes don't bother me. The scenery looks slightly different on the way back than it did on the way out.
Old 02-04-12, 08:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Depends on the wind.
Old 02-04-12, 08:59 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Only if I dont want to go back home........(scratches head)
Old 02-04-12, 09:13 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
based off what you post, i recommend:

move somewhere "beautiful" so you don't have to look at "ugly" roads...

or perhaps get a new hobby.

if you really like cycling, you wouldn't care where you rode, you would enjoy being on the bike. if you honestly don't like being on the bike (and there is nothing wrong with that. most people don't like being on the bike and don't like cycling), then perhaps you shouldn't be cycling....

i'm not trying to be mean or a d!ck. ask yourself, honestly, why you ride a bike. perhaps there is something else you may enjoy more that gives you what you are looking for.

sorry, i just don't understand....also...why don't you wear headphones if that would make it better? i wear them all the time.
why of course! why did i never think of simply choosing a different spot, and then JUST move there. its so simple.

note: i said the first 10 miles are pretty boring/ugly. there is good riding, but its just very "meh" for a bit.

its like have a partner with bad morning breath. its not overwhelming, but its not really something you look forward to (and if you can get through it, the riding is fun).
Old 02-04-12, 09:26 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

You need to get your head in a different space. Riding out and back on practically any road is fun -- that accounts for 90% of the miles of most of the people who commute very far.

10 miles is not that far even though it adds up to 20 since you need to return. Today I felt like climbing, but I live in the flats. The 15% grades are about 10 miles away. I consider that close. Intervals suck and unless you race, so does any form of riding that has the primary purpose of boosting your speed. When you get right down to it, all that extra effort only buys a small amount of speed.

The ride itself needs to be the objective. If you're forcing yourself to ride, it's going to be mighty hard to keep it up for many years on end. Even if you can, what would be the point? This is supposed to be fun.
Old 02-04-12, 09:27 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Yes and double yes. I never do it for that reason.
Old 02-04-12, 09:38 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
You need to get your head in a different space. Riding out and back on practically any road is fun -- that accounts for 90% of the miles of most of the people who commute very far.

10 miles is not that far even though it adds up to 20 since you need to return. Today I felt like climbing, but I live in the flats. The 15% grades are about 10 miles away. I consider that close. Intervals suck and unless you race, so does any form of riding that has the primary purpose of boosting your speed. When you get right down to it, all that extra effort only buys a small amount of speed.

The ride itself needs to be the objective. If you're forcing yourself to ride, it's going to be mighty hard to keep it up for many years on end. Even if you can, what would be the point? This is supposed to be fun.
intervals are fun and i love them. i think part of my problem is that i try to hurry through the crappy miles, but then i end up using more energy than i need to, and have less fuel for the pleasant scenery.

i love cycling and bikes. i have no desire for brevets, and even centuries do not really appeal to me.
part of it is probably because i ride solo; but my schedule gives me odd time gaps, and its not very consistent.

however, i am planning on doing consistent night rides in spring (terrible allergies).
Old 02-04-12, 10:13 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride solo because there is no one to ride with around here and I live in Illinois, but I do maintain a love for the road and being outside listening to everything around me, the sound of the road resonating up through carbon wheels, the chain whizzing around the drive train, breathing from exertion, the feeling of the air around me, wind, sun, clouds. I am ecstatic that I am able to ride whenever I want and really have no limitations mentally or physically. Routine, It's all part of living. There are so many things going on that I can't even get bored in Illinois, so where is this terrible place you live?
Old 02-04-12, 10:16 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple standard loops and tend to do them A LOT. Very little variety but they are loops. Still, I do one of them almost every ride (with a couple ending variations depending on how much time I have) and never seem to get bored. I just enjoy going out and something is better than nothing. I always ride solo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.