Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek T50 - how to sync pedals?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 06:45 PM
jdm1005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are "First Tandem" people, having purchased a used Trek T50 in very good shape, but with the pedals out of phase. Or sync. Or whatever the term is. Anyway, I would like to put the two sets of cranks into the same position. What do I need to do? What tools do I need to purchase? Thanks for your help!
Old 08-29-21, 08:22 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
basic run down is to loosen eccentric bb, rotate bb to loosen chain take chain off one of the chainrings sync pedals then reverse process,
Old 08-29-21, 08:58 PM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Before you take the effort: Even when your good old Trek seems to be in a good shape, chains are items subject to wear and I would definitely check the wear condition of both chains in advance. If you don't have the appropriate chain gage or don't know how to measure the chain lengthening with a vernier caliper, ask a bike shop to help you with this task. Severely worn chains damage the chain wheels and the cassettes. In that case you probably have to replace those items as well.
Old 08-29-21, 09:20 PM
jdm1005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the info and the video. At least now I have an idea of how to proceed. I think my bottom bracket looks different from the one in the video, but I understand the concept. Thanks!
Old 08-29-21, 09:21 PM
jdm1005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lichtgrau
Before you take the effort: Even when your good old Trek seems to be in a good shape, chains are items subject to wear and I would definitely check the wear condition of both chains in advance. If you don't have the appropriate chain gage or don't know how to measure the chain lengthening with a vernier caliper, ask a bike shop to help you with this task. Severely worn chains damage the chain wheels and the cassettes. In that case you probably have to replace those items as well.
Thanks for the heads-up about the chains. They seem pretty good, but I will check them out to make sure. Good advice!
Old 08-30-21, 12:38 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
You can easily measure chain stretch (wear really, not stretch, it's just called that) with a ruler if you don't feel like taking it to a shop. Tons of articles online and in the Mechanics section here on how to do that.
Old 08-30-21, 08:09 AM
jdm1005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
You can easily measure chain stretch (wear really, not stretch, it's just called that) with a ruler if you don't feel like taking it to a shop. Tons of articles online and in the Mechanics section here on how to do that.
Thanks for the heads-up!