Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I like to find bikes at the dump - but...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I like to find bikes at the dump - but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 08:18 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I did not think to take a picture of the serial number side but I did look at that side. My daughter has already looked the serial number up and, I believe, the bill was produced in1988, The $1000 bill is the real deal. Funny thing is, I saw the box of books and passed on looking. No biggie because seeing how excited my daughter was/is makes my loss worth it to me. Dump day tomorrow - yeha!
Hmm, did youse check those other books? If not, and the box is still there tomorrow..... 😉
Old 07-26-22, 08:30 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Um, it's dated 1988, right below Her Majesty's picture.
Old 07-26-22, 09:46 PM
leicadokyu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
My youngest daughter and I go to the dump, to scavenge, a couple of times a week. Needless to say, I look for old road bikes (there was a youth's Glider road bike there today, a Fuji mountain bike and a Raleigh mountain bike, none of which were of interest to me. I have found lots of vintage bikes at the dump, over the years including this old Legnano that came to me from the dump just a couple of weeks ago...

But today, no bikes were there that interested me (fact is not many have showed up since the pandemic started) but something else was.

My daughter approached me, looking strange and insisting that she had to put the antique pottery, that she had found, down. I immediately thought that she was experiencing pain in her right shoulder (damaged it several years ago). She was actually shaking and saying "I hope this is real"...

And, it turned out that the $1000.00 CND bill she found tucked between the pages of a discarded Bible was/is the real deal. I love dump hunting!
woah! Great find! I do this as well but so far I haven’t got lucky to find cash yet.
Old 07-27-22, 02:10 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Hmm, did youse check those other books? If not, and the box is still there tomorrow..... 😉
I did not check or research anything. My daughter did and I am not sure where she looked for information. Had I been the finder, I would have spent the time to figure out collectable value.
Old 07-27-22, 02:16 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
A couple of years ago, I found a bag of antique coins at the same dump. Nothing of much value in the bag but I did get my hopes up...

Someone else asked if we went through the other books. Yes, but not carefully. The person who looks after the dump (yup, we guard garbage here in Canada) did tell us that another lady found a $5.00 bill in one of the books and ended up taking the entire box home.
Old 07-27-22, 07:04 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
A couple of years ago, I found a bag of antique coins at the same dump. Nothing of much value in the bag but I did get my hopes up...

Someone else asked if we went through the other books. Yes, but not carefully. The person who looks after the dump (yup, we guard garbage here in Canada) did tell us that another lady found a $5.00 bill in one of the books and ended up taking the entire box home.
Ayup, that's what I meant, checking the other books for more money. 😉 Oh well, might as well share, huh? 😁
Old 07-27-22, 07:50 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts

The steel penny isn't really worth anything (even in super mint condition), but it is an interesting bit of "war" history.
Likes For wschruba:
Old 07-28-22, 06:47 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Did the bible have a name and/or address. Not to rain on your parade or anything . . . probably detritus from an estate or "moving on" clear-out.
Old 07-28-22, 09:29 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Did the bible have a name and/or address. Not to rain on your parade or anything . . . probably detritus from an estate or "moving on" clear-out.
Now that you mention it, it would blow someone's mind (and make their day) to return that bill to whoever put it there, or their heirs.