Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What to build with an 83-84 Stump Jumper frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 07:17 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

I rescued a lugged Stump Jumper with a bi-plane fork from the local scrap yard. It was 30 feet up on the pile and had to be retrieved with "the claw" It got pretty beat up in its travels. The frame has is scratched up, has some rust and the chainstays are crimped from a kick stand. The fork has a broken canti post. The bullmoose-esque stem and handle bars look good, as does the crank set and pedals and seat post. Both wheels and half the components are toast though. I'm getting the fork repaired but that's going to trash the chrome. After the repair I will have $50 into it. I'm planning on some sort sort of rust treatment and a rattle can finish for now. Beyond that I have no idea what to do with this frame. At this point I cant see it being an kind of period correct restoration, and I don't need it to be a particular kind of bike. I could see it replacing the frame of my Bridgestone CB-1 Moustache bar "Country bike" (With Exage "Country" components) , but "if it ain't broke, why fix it?
I know its a nice frame, but function over form, whats it good for?
Old 11-05-18, 07:45 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Another country style bike of course. I'd go for a riv style build with albatross bars, sugino crank, cheap derailleurs, decent wheels. An early Stumpjumper is a more deluxe frame than a CB-1 really, and it's also a full mountain bike, not a city bike. I looked for one for a while before giving up and getting a Rivendell Clem. OTOH original bullmoose is kinda cool so you might leave those. Yeah, there's some overlap with a CB-1, but n+1 and all... Hammerite makes a decent rattle can finish if you can find some in a rattle can.
Old 11-05-18, 07:52 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I say...
DON'T spend money on the fork repair. Get this fork from Crust Bikes instead:

https://crustbikes.com/products/clydesdale-fork/

Cargo fork that uses a 20in wheel. Designed for old non-suspension 26" mtbs. Comes in canti or disc, 1" or 1 1/8.

I have one on my early 90s Giant ATX 760 and it is my favorite bike. I have a huge milk crate on front and it makes shopping super easy. I have also used it on short tours and some off-road touring and it is great. Handles like a normal bike. I've carried firewood, massive cases of adult beverages, drums, metalworking equipment, bike frames, and a host of other stuff in it.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 11-05-18 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 08:05 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Well... That certainly is something I didn't know I needed.

The CB-1 is nothing fancy, but it does have a lower bottom bracket than most mountain bikes, which I kind of like. With 175mm cranks, I tend to coast the corners.
Old 11-05-18, 09:13 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I just finished up the final build of an '85 Stumpy I got in a sorry shape a few years ago in Right Proper Country Fashion. I haven't yet had time to ride it much, the roads here are still pretty treacherous.

It also had a broken cantilever boss, but I was able to use the Problem Solvers repair kit (https://www.wheelandsprocket.com/pro...t-182070-1.htm) But that Crust Clydesdale fork is at the top of my "must buy" list, if the bike's the right size it's an ideal excuse to get one.
Old 11-05-18, 10:11 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
The bullmoose-esque stem and handle bars look good,
Are you talking about Bullmoose bars or the fancy sculpted stem like this one:

Either or are really cool. Even the much more common MTS-100 stem is pretty doggone cool.

At one point I wanted to swap out the bullmoose for drops- but decided against it. They're just too cool.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-06-18, 01:39 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I picked up a junker 1984 Diamondback Ridge Runner and did this with it.

Old 11-06-18, 07:20 AM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Are you talking about Bullmoose bars or the fancy sculpted stem like this one:

Either or are really cool. Even the much more common MTS-100 stem is pretty doggone cool.

At one point I wanted to swap out the bullmoose for drops- but decided against it. They're just too cool.
The bull moose bars look to be MTS-100's. The handle bar itself is Specialized branded. I'm going to hold on to all parts and keep an eye out for a matching right hand thumb shifter. The tommaselli racer brakes realy only need a new barrel adjuster, but cockpit could be its own restoration project.

Originally Posted by tiredhands
I just finished up the final build of an '85 Stumpy I got in a sorry shape a few years ago in Right Proper Country Fashion. I haven't yet had time to ride it much, the roads here are still pretty treacherous.

It also had a broken cantilever boss, but I was able to use the Problem Solvers repair kit (https://www.wheelandsprocket.com/pro...t-182070-1.htm) But that Crust Clydesdale fork is at the top of my "must buy" list, if the bike's the right size it's an ideal excuse to get one.
I saw the Problem solvers kit and they would let me save the chrome on the fork. Its dinged up enough would probably not leave it "bright" and repaint it to match the frame, anyway, so I figures a brazed on replacement would be a safer option.

Is there a way to replicate the black cracked paint patina I've seen on 1930's bikes?
Old 11-06-18, 07:38 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Well... That certainly is something I didn't know I needed.

The CB-1 is nothing fancy, but it does have a lower bottom bracket than most mountain bikes, which I kind of like. With 175mm cranks, I tend to coast the corners.
Then you might be more interested in a hybrid to begin with. Even though the bicycle term “hybrid” is a dirty word- the idea was to have a “road-ish” bike that could go off-road. Since it was neither fish nor fowl- and people that are really “into it” will get a bike that specializes in what they want- so the hybrids tend to tend to be lower end.

The Stumpjumper was always a prime machine- either the Stumpjumper or the Stumpjumper Sport-

If you wanted a more high end hybrid- check the early 90s Trek and Schwinn catalogs.

My Father In Law has a CrissCross- I have secret plans of upgrading a lot of the lower end parts since it’s a butted CrMo frame- it looks like the price point on those was met with lower end components.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-06-18, 08:24 AM
bark_eater 

I got back to cycling 3 years ago on a low end Bianchi hybrid that i pretty much rode into the ground. It had fenders and 38mm tires and butterfly handle bars I've been keeping an eye out for a Trek 750 to put together a more refined version. If you look at the threads I've started, the aquisition of a dozen or so "keepers" is well documented. I've got the CB-1 dressed up, and tuned up pretty good and its had a lot of miles pulling my son in a trailer. I also have a mid 80's Centurion Sport DLX set up with fenders and 28mm tires that got a lot of miles this summer. Besides that I apparantly have enough potential bikes to fit Just about every fractional "need" I can envision. At this point the "que" is deffined by the 3 sets of tires I have awaiting complete bikes.
So with the landing of the Stump Jumper, I realy have to ask, what am I going to do with this?
Old 11-06-18, 09:15 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
An old Stumpy can shred, too, so maybe you “need” something that can handle some sketchy loose gravel or roots. Here’s my ‘85 in a previous incarnation, it was rad for stumping around in the sand and swamp of the Panhandle.

Old 11-06-18, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My find; an old SJ Sport, frame, no fork , broken drive side dropout,
now has 2 long horizontal dropout tips. fork found, tange chromoly ..

now parked with studded tire wheels on it, at the ready (doesn't ice up for long, here)..

Old 11-06-18, 10:51 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I am sort of in the same place with a trash find... cyclepro not a stumpy, but similar. I already have a pretty much stock stumpjumper sport, so thinking this one might do for a more city cruiser. needs to be completely rebuilt in any case so gonna paint it. I like that sort of olive thing going on above.
Old 11-06-18, 11:15 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

I got back to cycling 3 years ago on a low end Bianchi hybrid that i pretty much rode into the ground. It had fenders and 38mm tires and butterfly handle bars I've been keeping an eye out for a Trek 750 to put together a more refined version. If you look at the threads I've started, the aquisition of a dozen or so "keepers" is well documented. I've got the CB-1 dressed up, and tuned up pretty good and its had a lot of miles pulling my son in a trailer. I also have a mid 80's Centurion Sport DLX set up with fenders and 28mm tires that got a lot of miles this summer. Besides that I apparantly have enough potential bikes to fit Just about every fractional "need" I can envision. At this point the "que" is deffined by the 3 sets of tires I have awaiting complete bikes.
So with the landing of the Stump Jumper, I realy have to ask, what am I going to do with this?
I think you've got a cool idea of retro-izing it- kind of recalling the old 1930s-50s Raleighs. I tend to want to turn everything I own into a tourer- it's cool, but it shows my blinders.

Old 11-06-18, 11:38 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Is there a way to replicate the black cracked paint patina I've seen on 1930's bikes?
Paint the frame with black nitrocellulose lacquer; it will crackle eventually. Or, use a clear lacquer topcoat over black enamel, and it will crack immediately. When you violate the fat over lean rule, the result is cracks. For any kind of finishing experiments: TEST FIRST ON SCRAP.
Old 11-06-18, 03:50 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
My Father In Law has a CrissCross- I have secret plans of upgrading a lot of the lower end parts since it’s a butted CrMo frame- it looks like the price point on those was met with lower end components.
I bought a CrisCross a few years ago for $25. The paint is rough, it is a bit small for me, and it is hanging in the rafters right now. I have been hoping that my wife or my son would want to ride it. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Old 11-06-18, 04:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
If the fork with the broken canti mount is chrome, it probably wasn't the original fork. I'd check the top and down tubes near where they join the head tube to see whether they're bent from a front-end impact.
Old 11-06-18, 08:07 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by dweenk
I bought a CrisCross a few years ago for $25. The paint is rough, it is a bit small for me, and it is hanging in the rafters right now. I have been hoping that my wife or my son would want to ride it. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.
is that because it’s one of the worst bicycle names evAr?

Old 11-06-18, 10:58 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts

is that because it’s one of the worst bicycle names evAr?

But it makes you Jump! Jump!

but name aside, they are pretty nice bikes. wasn't there a whole line of "cross" bikes? some at the top were pretty keen.
Old 11-07-18, 06:10 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by jetboy
But it makes you Jump! Jump!

but name aside, they are pretty nice bikes. wasn't there a whole line of "cross" bikes? some at the top were pretty keen.
I think the CrissCross was under the CrossCut- just going from memory, I think they were both the same frame- just different component levels.

In in any case- probably a Giant made CrMo frame, fork and stays- it’s a nice bike as-is; replace some of the lower end stuff and you’ve got a pretty decent bike there. Of course you’d also have to turn your clothes around the right way, pull your pants up and get rid of that silly CrissCross name.

I remember someone here worked with VeloCals and made 1970s style Schwinn block letter decals for a CrossCut. I dink around thinking about going with a solid color and some classy 1950s/60s style Schwinn script and starbursts- and conveniently leave off the CrissCross name.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 11-07-18 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 09:40 AM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

I think the CrissCross was under the CrossCut- just going from memory, I think they were both the same frame- just different component levels.

In in any case- probably a Giant made CrMo frame, fork and stays- it’s a nice bike as-is; replace some of the lower end stuff and you’ve got a pretty decent bike there. Of course you’d also have to turn your clothes around the right way, pull your pants up and get rid of that silly CrissCross name.

I remember someone here worked with VeloCals and made 1970s style Schwinn block letter decals for a CrossCut. I dink around thinking about going with a solid color and some classy 1950s/60s style Schwinn script and starbursts- and conveniently leave off the CrissCross name.

From a previous discussion on this in a thread I can't remember....someone checked the catalog and the "quality" rank from top to bottom of that line was: Crosscut > CrissCross > Crossfit.
More useless stuff to stick in yer head.
Old 11-08-18, 05:27 AM
bark_eater 

Do the CrisCross and CrossCut have relatively long top tubes? I saw a couple at the Newark Bike Project in Delaware. They had just recieved a huge amount of donations so i didnt have time to look at every bike, but the 2 that i noticed were small frames that had sort of a 700c BMX look.
Old 11-08-18, 06:19 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Does your Stumpy have the type of cantilever stud that is swaged into an open sheet metal box? These were quite common in the early MTB days and also on some touring bikes.

I have this type on a Ross MTB from this time frame that I keep at my family's house in the USA, and one of the studs came off in my hand along with the caliper a couple years back. I piggybacked on someone else's old thread here about a cheap fix involving grinding a nylock nut and using a cheap modern replacement stud along with an assortment of various washers. It works well still after several years. If I had a bunch of time, I would have machined a block that fit exactly in the box with a threaded hole (and made three extras for the others), but I didn't have the resources where I keep the bike.

I think you can fix it for perhaps $5 and keep the paint if this is the case.
Old 11-08-18, 12:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I bypassed the cantilever brake studs , by building a set of drum brake hub wheels ..

as it wears studded tires , I got 45mm wide rims
from All Weather sports in Fairbanks AK.

Suomi Nokian tires shipped from Finland..
Old 11-08-18, 04:29 PM
bark_eater 

The cantiliver mount is different from the ones that can spin. i have another frame with 3 out 4 spinning. I might try the problem solvers kit but I got quoted $35 for a proper repair. I'll try and get pictures next week, when I get a little shop time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.