Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Canada Bottom Bracket....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 08:06 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I asked a similar question way back around 2010, don't recall getting an actual answer....

Does anyone know if Raleigh bicycles made in Canada in the 1970's used 24TPI or 26TPI bottom bracket threading.... Everything looks like it is probably 26TPI. I know there were people at the time who milled out the 26TPI and threaded for Italian. Are there better solutions today? What about switching to press fit bearings? The options on newer cranks for square taper are getting a little thin.....
Old 07-04-21, 08:58 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
I asked a similar question way back around 2010, don't recall getting an actual answer....

Does anyone know if Raleigh bicycles made in Canada in the 1970's used 24TPI or 26TPI bottom bracket threading.... Everything looks like it is probably 26TPI. I know there were people at the time who milled out the 26TPI and threaded for Italian. Are there better solutions today? What about switching to press fit bearings? The options on newer cranks for square taper are getting a little thin.....
Get a pair of Italian-threaded alloy cups and a cartridge bearing unit that will fit them, take the 36mm threads off and cut 26tpi on them; a lathe, or a friend-with-a-lathe will be needed, but you will only have to do this once (per bike).
Old 07-04-21, 09:36 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I don't know why you would do the above in preference to simply having the bottom bracket retapped to be Italian (and maybe milled down to 70 mm wide if you're picky about chainline). A Raleigh 26 tpi bottom bracket should be 71 mm wide, too, so an Italian BB spindle should work, or of course a cartridge BB provided in Italian. There are other 26 tpi issues with this sort of Raleigh frame, for instance having a 26 tpi headset.

There is this Sheldon Brown page for Raleigh weird threading issues: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html
Old 07-04-21, 11:27 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
...What about switching to press fit bearings? The options on newer cranks for square taper are getting a little thin.....
I get ya... Press fit bearings should be a reasonable option. Any body done it?
Old 07-06-21, 10:10 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I don't know why you would do the above in preference to simply having the bottom bracket retapped to be Italian (and maybe milled down to 70 mm wide if you're picky about chainline). A Raleigh 26 tpi bottom bracket should be 71 mm wide, too, so an Italian BB spindle should work, or of course a cartridge BB provided in Italian. There are other 26 tpi issues with this sort of Raleigh frame, for instance having a 26 tpi headset.

There is this Sheldon Brown page for Raleigh weird threading issues: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html
Well, aluminium is easier to machine (you can do the same trick with 25x1 alloy headsets), you might not have an Italian tap, and it keeps the frame/fork as is, which for some people is a thing.
Old 07-10-21, 05:50 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Okay, the issue isn't really thre BB, at least not for now.... I have two sets of cups and the spindle is tool steel, so the crank will likely outlive me, it's whether the chain rings are bolt on, or riveted on. It appears to be bolted on the inside, but not the outside, so maybe they threaded the spider, then used a bolt, or it could be some kind of blind pop-rivet, because it appears that the chain guard and spider are all one piece.

There may be a couple of options, if I find the right allen key, it appears to be an odd size, I could take off the chain rings, and replace them, with different ones. If it's a rivet, I could always drill it out, to a standard chainring bolt size, and just use normal bolts. It appears the larger ring hasa BSD of 104mm.... The RD, FD and the Freewheel that came with the bike are all Suntour, so it could be a Suntour crank as well. I think that Raleigh in Canada used a mix of Nottingham parts and standard parts to build these bikes, it's likely the frames, BB and headset came from Nottingham, and then they used off the shelf, Suntour parts for everything else.

So, they installed an off the shelf spindle, then put a cotterless off the shelf crank on it. Suntour not to be outdone, used off-the-shelf chain-rings, which is fine, but 52/42 is a little high when the motor is 60 years old, and not at the peak of efficiency . If I could run say 46/36 on it, that would work better for me, and 42/32 would be ideal...... I'll take some pictures tomorrow of both sides of the crank, with my "good" camera, and see if anyone has ideas......

Mods: If you want to change the subject line here, feel free.....
Old 07-10-21, 10:51 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Pictures of the crank are your friend. Off the cuff, it's unlikely this is all worth the trouble, even if it would work. The bcd will determine the range of rings you can use and when you see 52/42, it's rare that you'll be able to fit a small ring. Replace with a triple.
Old 07-10-21, 06:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
I've done the unthinkable and tapped a 26tpi Sports BB to 24tpi with no brass or anything. Didn't seem to affect a cartridge square taper I installed in it, but I didn't run it - I wound up installing an external bearing bottom bracket and crank in it.

I've beat on it quite a bit and neither of the Loctited cups are loose. Yet.

-Kurt

Old 07-10-21, 07:45 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I've done the unthinkable and tapped a 26tpi Sports BB to 24tpi with no brass or anything. Didn't seem to affect a cartridge square taper I installed in it, but I didn't run it - I wound up installing an external bearing bottom bracket and crank in it.

I've beat on it quite a bit and neither of the Loctited cups are loose. Yet.

-Kurt
I have also done this. Worked OK, but I would not try it without a piloted tap set.
Old 07-10-21, 08:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I have also done this. Worked OK, but I would not try it without a piloted tap set.
I did it with the 1970's-era VAR 380 set that one of the local shops gave to me. Worked a treat.

-Kurt