Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

E bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 10:00 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
mc, that picture is a pretty clean DIY conversion wherever you took it. I've been involved with e-DIY for seven years, and as an individual who counts the smiles, not miles, have had a blast on them, even though riding only once or twice a week while MTB'ing three or more times. In socal, most of the riding areas frequented are ascend at the beginning, roll down after the apex, so an individual can receive as much exercise as they want just by adjusting PAS level and gearing, but I'm lazy so usually take it easy on the "e". BTW, good post to troll for haters. They love to emerge from under their rocks.
Old 07-16-22, 10:05 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
mc, that picture is a pretty clean DIY conversion wherever you took it. I've been involved with e-DIY for seven years, and as an individual who counts the smiles, not miles, have had a blast on them, even though riding only once or twice a week while MTB'ing three or more times. In socal, most of the riding areas frequented are ascend at the beginning, roll down after the apex, so an individual can receive as much exercise as they want just by adjusting PAS level and gearing, but I'm lazy so usually take it easy on the "e". BTW, good post to troll for haters. They love to emerge from under their rocks.
I didn't take it, I saw it online, it resembles what people are riding around here. I don't know anything about them other than in my neighborhood and on our MUP there are bikes that look similar to that going very fast around people, kids, pets, etc. I have no hate for anything, ride whatever you want, just don't be dangerous with it.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-16-22, 12:01 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
I didn't take it, I saw it online, it resembles what people are riding around here. I don't know anything about them other than in my neighborhood and on our MUP there are bikes that look similar to that going very fast around people, kids, pets, etc. I have no hate for anything, ride whatever you want, just don't be dangerous with it.
Thanks for your reply and I agree wholeheartedly with you. Fortunately, there are many pretty isolated bike paths here so no problem if I ride one on an MTB or "e". Some of those like your picture are way too powerful for anything but the street. Let them contend with autos.
Old 07-17-22, 09:13 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I don't really like encountering those motorcycle looking, e-bike contraptions. Here in San Diego they rent them to the tourists.
To me unpredictable people on beach cruisers were just a nuisance. But on these things, with the added weight and speed, it's pretty scary.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-17-22, 02:17 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
The problem with much of society today is that they love to blame the tool or the object and not the person operating the tool or object. We have lost our sense of decency and honor by blaming stuff instead of people. You will never solve problems by blaming stuff instead of people. Your efforts will only restrict your own freedom.
That sums it up nicely. I have assist on the tandem and none on my solo bikes but when the time comes I will happily add assist to continue riding like I'm still in my 20's. I just don't get the hate. Ride the bike you want, in the end biking is biking.
Old 07-19-22, 12:01 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
That sums it up nicely. I have assist on the tandem and none on my solo bikes but when the time comes I will happily add assist to continue riding like I'm still in my 20's. I just don't get the hate. Ride the bike you want, in the end biking is biking.
The "hate" is very similar to the hate experienced by Roadies.
Old 07-27-22, 08:35 PM
Ibanga179

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Who cares if they're getting a good workout or not....not everybody rides for the purpose of getting a workout.
I agree with you most people do it for fun
Old 07-29-22, 05:32 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I did a 65 mile ride on a rail trail this weekend. 80%+ of the riders I went by were on e-bikes. Most were young enough that they could pedal. Not sure why they need an e-bike. Probably didn't want to deal with the physical exertion of having pedal so this was their way of getting "out there" Couple things I noticed...They were flying by us all day long...This is also the busiest I've ever seen this trail. Not sure I'm a fan of the e-bike boom.
I agree with this. I see many more e-bikes on our rail trail than ever. A couple of days ago one passed me on my right, a walker was walking down the path on my left and this clown whizzed by me on my right with no warning, I see a lot of younger people on these bikes riding very fast without peddling. Most of them are riding no helmet's and with no concern for other people's safety. I sure most of them are inexperienced riders. Also that clown that whizzed by me, we had a heated conversation, he was 30 years old in very good shape.
Old 07-29-22, 07:37 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Before my knees gave out I was an avid skier and this e-bike boom parallels my experiences with snow boarders. Snow boarders stared showing up on the slopes in the mid to late eighties and, at first, they were merely a curiosity. Then, as they grew in numbers they became an annoyance. Not just because they were different but because they were unpredictable because I couldn't guess which way they were going to turn or what line they were going to take. Eventually, we got used to them and learned to share the slopes in relative harmony.

I'm seeing the same thing with e-bikers. At first they were a curiosity then they became an annoyance as they grew in numbers and started silently whizzing by me. Now, I look at them the same as a fit rider on a well-tuned 14 lb. road bike quickly overtaking me and silently whizzing by. E-bikes and e-bikers are here to stay and as long as they aren't breaking any laws or hurting anyone, I wish them well and much enjoyment on their machines.