Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another rear derailleur question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-24, 08:12 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I've got a 12 speed Campy SR drivetrain with approximately 21,500 miles on it. 2 days ago the rear derailleur started making a sound like there was a stiff link in the chain. That sort of "clunk" without shifting gears. But the sound is irregular and seemingly random. The sound is not reproduced with increased pedal pressure, happens on multiple cogs and chainring combinations, is not consistent and is totally random as far as I can tell. The chain (the 4th on this bike) measures exactly 12 inches with my metal ruler and is clean and lubed......there isn't excessive wear on the cogs or chainwheel as far as I can tell, and I've cleaned and lubed all the pivot points on the derailleur. Oh and the shifting is fine in both directions.

I thought the chain might be the issue but after measuring I'm not so sure. Might be the cassette but all the cogs looked good to me. Maybe the B tension screw? Maybe I should replace the chain despite what I measured?

Any other ideas?
Old 04-05-24, 09:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,332 Posts
Stiff links should be fairly easy to find. Relax the chain tension and use your fingers to flex the chain links both ways as you feed the chain through your fingers. The key is no tension.

Sometimes links can become damaged so that a burr or other "feature" can develop. Again running the chain through one's fingers can expose this.

But given the description and all I wonder if the freehub body ratchet is the root. Has this been service since new? Andy
Old 04-05-24, 09:34 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 182 Posts
I would go ahead and try a new chain on the simple logic that it's easy to swap chains and it's good to have an extra one on hand anyway. If that fixes it, pitch the old chain.

While you're at it, check the guide pulley on the derailleur. You have a lot of miles on that derailleur. See if there is play in the guide pulley that is starting to let the chain occasionally slap against an adjacent gear.
Old 04-05-24, 09:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5849 Post(s)
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,497 Posts
It could be a stiff link, which like a medical issue, likes to hide when a pro is looking. So, I look for these by backpedalling in a aligned gear combination while pushing forward on the lower cage enough to ease lower loop tension. Then I look for a link that doesn't straighten as it spools off the idler pulley.

That said, there may be another answer, especially if the "clunks" tend to happen under load.

This is a new chain, and at 21,000 miles it's fair to guess that the cassette is pretty worn, despite you not seeing it. That combination is strong possibility as the cause of the issue. This is hard to test for conclusively, but one thing I do I'd shift to a commonly used gear. Then use an ice pick to lift the chain off the sprocket at about 9 o'clock or so. If the chain lifts significantly, pulling links from either side, the sprocket is worn.

Confirm by borrowing a newer one fom a friend or other wheel. Or, since you'll need one soon enough anyway, buy it now and see. If that solves it, you're done, otherwise, put the old one back and look for another problem.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-05-24 at 09:47 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-05-24, 09:49 PM
ScottCommutes

Also, 21,500 miles is a good run for a drivetrain. I wouldn't feel bad about replacing everything mentioned and then some. Even if the parts have some life left in them, they are getting long in the tooth.
Old 04-05-24, 10:05 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 1,616 Times in 1,062 Posts
Take a look at the pulleys.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-05-24, 11:22 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 366 Posts
I got a great mountain bike cheap at a garage sale, skipped, close examination of chain showed one link that looked like it had been bashed while hitting a concrete step, removed, bike worked perfect.

Second, inspect all links for any cracks, should be easy to see.

I also agree with new chain skipping on old cogs, happened to me, and since that meant the cogs were too far gone to prevent with a new chain, I put the old chain back on until I am ready to replace cogs too. Which I haven't done because the wheels are long in the tooth, sidewalls concave, I think I'll just grab both wheels with like-new cassette from a similar folder I picked up a few years ago and have not yet rehabbed, neglected but wheels and cassette in fine shape.
Old 04-06-24, 11:20 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 674 Posts
the thing about 12 speed - that is different than a 6 speed garage sale bike - is that every part of the drivetrain has to be in very good condition.

percieved performance - be it reliable shifting, overall smoothness under load, etc - will deteriorate pretty rapidly with any wear

these high end drivetrains are not tolerant of worn or damaged parts.

I'd look carefully at the chain, really eyeball it, looking for a link where the pin is loose or binding

or, just replace the cassette, pulleys, and maybe chainrings

/markp
Old 04-06-24, 07:29 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by armybikerider
Any other ideas?
Sticky cable?
Old 04-06-24, 07:35 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 356 Posts
I'm not sure what this means: "The sound is not reproduced with increased pedal pressure".
Is it:
1. Just as random when doing hard pedaling efforts.
2. Doesn't happen with hard efforts, only with easier pedaling force.
3. something else?
Old 04-06-24, 08:53 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I'm not sure what this means: "The sound is not reproduced with increased pedal pressure".
Is it:
1. Just as random when doing hard pedaling efforts.
2. Doesn't happen with hard efforts, only with easier pedaling force.
3. something else?

Yes the sound is random regardless of pedaling efforts. Happens with hard or easy efforts.

I ordered a chain today. I'll start there and see what happens.
Old 04-06-24, 10:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Fixing a bike isn't like throwing spaghetti against the wall to see if it sticks.

You have to form a theory, then test to confirm. I earlier suggested a test for worn sprockets. Do that before moving on.

The B screw is a possibility but only likely if you changed the chain length. In any case, use you eyes. There should be 1/2" of free chain between leaving the pulley and joining the sprocket. However, B screw issues usually only manifest on one or two gear combinations.

So, follow a step by step process until you score.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-07-24, 07:14 AM
ScottCommutes

Do they call this "parts cannon" in bike repair? I'm only familiar with the term in the context of auto repair.

It's never the best way to fix anything, but in certain situations even missing with the cannon (replacing parts that aren't the problem and have some life left in them) isn't a bad thing if you save the diagnostic time and end up with replacement parts installed that will be good for many thousands of miles more than what you started with.

If I recall correctly, 50% of automotive starters and alternators that are exchanged for rebuilds turn out to function correctly. Lots of pros are evidently throwing parts at cars to see what sticks. For bad and sometimes good, the practice is widespread.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-07-24, 10:17 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
If I recall correctly, 50% of automotive starters and alternators that are exchanged for rebuilds turn out to function correctly. Lots of pros are evidently throwing parts at cars to see what sticks. For bad and sometimes good, the practice is widespread.
Sounds like they failed to check voltage drop on the connectors before condemning the parts, I wonder if simply removing/replacing the "bad" parts would have had the same effect as fitting new. It seems many "mechanics" are sorely lacking in diagnostic skills, and should stick to doing oil changes. Having said that, it's next to impossible to diagnose some bike noises ...
Old 04-07-24, 05:29 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Also, 21,500 miles is a good run for a drivetrain. I wouldn't feel bad about replacing everything mentioned and then some. Even if the parts have some life left in them, they are getting long in the tooth.
Really? My current Campy Chorus drive train has 86,000 miles on it. I replaced one of the chain rings at 65,000 miles. Other than that just chains and cassettes when they wear out. No way should Campy drive train be worn out at that mileage unless it gets ridden in the rain a LOT.
Old 04-07-24, 05:37 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Really? My current Campy Chorus drive train has 86,000 miles on it. I replaced one of the chain rings at 65,000 miles. Other than that just chains and cassettes when they wear out. No way should Campy drive train be worn out at that mileage unless it gets ridden in the rain a LOT.
+1

We need to be more discerning when talking about "drivetrain" wear.

Obviously chains, and to a slightly lesser extent, cassettes wear fairly quickly. But that's pretty much where it ends.

Of course, other parts will need replacing now and then, but otherwise, 21,000 miles isn't a lot.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-07-24, 06:18 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the input. And for the record I do not ride in the rain or even on wet roads.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Fixing a bike isn't like throwing spaghetti against the wall to see if it sticks.

You have to form a theory, then test to confirm. I earlier suggested a test for worn sprockets. Do that before moving on.

The B screw is a possibility but only likely if you changed the chain length. In any case, use you eyes. There should be 1/2" of free chain between leaving the pulley and joining the sprocket. However, B screw issues usually only manifest on one or two gear combinations.

So, follow a step by step process until you score.
My initial theory was a stiff link. I've confirmed that it is not. The chain actually is not new. As stated it's the 4th chain on this bike since new. It's got approximately 4,000 miles on it which is the lowest of all previous chains on this bike and is a Chorus chain btw. I tried the test you mentioned for worn sprockets but it was negative. Again, the "clunk" doesn't necessarily happen with heavy pressure on the pedals. It's random.
I'm operating on the theory that the chain is the culprit - regardless what I measured, and ordered a new one last night. I need one anyway as a spare and if a new chain proves the cure even better. If not the cassette will be replaced. I really dont think the derailleur is at fault.
Likes For armybikerider:
Old 04-07-24, 07:01 PM
Kontact

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the input. And for the record I do not ride in the rain or even on wet roads.

My initial theory was a stiff link. I've confirmed that it is not. The chain actually is not new. As stated it's the 4th chain on this bike since new. It's got approximately 4,000 miles on it which is the lowest of all previous chains on this bike and is a Chorus chain btw. I tried the test you mentioned for worn sprockets but it was negative. Again, the "clunk" doesn't necessarily happen with heavy pressure on the pedals. It's random.
I'm operating on the theory that the chain is the culprit - regardless what I measured, and ordered a new one last night. I need one anyway as a spare and if a new chain proves the cure even better. If not the cassette will be replaced. I really dont think the derailleur is at fault.
How did the pulleys look when you checked those?
Old 04-07-24, 09:03 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The pulleys spun smooth with no side-to-side play or slop.

Thanks
Old 04-07-24, 10:03 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
Dumb suggestion just because it happened to me yesterday and I thought of this thread: it’s not that thing where you shift and have a little slack in the crank/chain and the pedals sort of take a bit of rotation to re-engage the freehub?
Old 04-07-24, 10:15 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Dumb suggestion just because it happened to me yesterday and I thought of this thread: it’s not that thing where you shift and have a little slack in the crank/chain and the pedals sort of take a bit of rotation to re-engage the freehub?
No dumb suggestions. I welcome all ideas. But no, the problem I have is not the same.
Old 04-08-24, 08:17 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 986 Posts
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. It turned out that one of the outer side plates of the chain was starting to separate outwards. New chain fixed the problem. It was so slight that you couldn't even see it. The chain would probably have broken If I hadn't changed it
Found the problem on my workstand. When the chain was on the smallest cog, the chain would rub on the dropout just once per revolution of the chain.

Last edited by alcjphil; 04-08-24 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-14-24, 09:36 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Update and resolution.

I installed a new chain today and the drivetrain is once again silent. i checked the old chain closely and there was no stiff link or any abnormality that I could see or feel. It did measure about 1/16 longer than the new chain. BTW the new chain is SRAM Force flat top.
Likes For armybikerider:
Old 04-14-24, 09:39 PM
Kontact

Update and resolution.

I installed a new chain today and the drivetrain is once again silent. i checked the old chain closely and there was no stiff link or any abnormality that I could see or feel. It did measure about 1/16 longer than the new chain. BTW the new chain is SRAM Force flat top.
I'm surprised it isn't too little for the Campy teeth.
Old 04-15-24, 07:29 AM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Force chain works perfectly with Campagnolo SR 12 speed. This is the 5th chain on this bike and the 2nd Force chain in 21000 + miles.