Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Kilo TT as my first fixed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 02:12 PM
Oakenlols
Pwnsauce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've been riding my buddies IRO for a while and want to get a fixie of my own. I don't want to spend too much money on the bike because it will probably get beat on pretty good.

Do you guys think the Kilo TT Pro is a good starter bike, or should I shell out an extra $200 or so and get an IRO?
Old 08-12-11, 02:28 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are both great bikes. The IRO is a very nice frame and It all comes down to the price for you.
Old 08-12-11, 02:36 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The iro has a somewhat more relaxed geometry. If you are planning to put lots of miles on the bike go with it. If you are planning to sprint from light to light or take the bike on the track to see what it is like the Kilo is better.
Old 08-12-11, 02:47 PM
spazzkid

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont have any experience riding the IRO, but from what I've heard, a lot of people seem to like it. Also, the Kilo TT has lots of fans over here, just check the Kilo TT Thread. I also ride a Kilo so I'm biased. Yes, the geometry is track-ish and it may not be as comfy compared to say, a conversion, but its something that your body could eventually get used to. I've seen people do centuries on their Kilo. Goodluck!
Old 08-12-11, 02:50 PM
JWalton215
splendid splendidness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the Kilo, ride it a bit then get some wheels from IRO.
Old 08-12-11, 02:52 PM
Oakenlols
Pwnsauce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been doing a lot of googling about this, and I guess the general consensus that I came up with is that if you buy a Kilo TT you are going to eventually start customizing it and before you know it you will be spending more money than if you got a "good" or "better" bike to begin with.

So let me ask you guys. What is a "better" or possibly more mid ranged quality fixed gear?

I can have a Kilo TT for $400. An Iro for around $650, and a Bianchi Pista for $800. I guess in this sense the Iro looks like the middle ranged bike, but it seems like a lot of people say that there is much to upgrade on the Iro as well?
Old 08-12-11, 02:52 PM
MACRI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride an iro and my brother rides the kilo tt which I assembled and tested a bit I prefer my iro only because I'm so used to the way it feels and everything but considering the price of the kilo it's just as fun however bare in mind you'll be dropping cash almost right away on pedals and new tires or at least he did. But he also ruined two tubes one tire and one plastic cage in the first 80km's of riding which I'm not too surprised because we're both very strong and muscular men with more chest hair than you.
Old 08-12-11, 03:00 PM
Oakenlols
Pwnsauce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting... So you're saying if I have a lot of chest hair the Iro is the way to go?
Old 08-12-11, 03:05 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of riding do you do?

I think no matter what bike you get you will end up spending at least a $100 extra to "customize" it to fit your own needs. This includes a better saddle, pedals, bars, etc... as a lot of these stock parts will suck.
Old 08-12-11, 03:08 PM
MACRI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, also that the plastic cages on the cheap pedals on the kilo tt are well plastic and they crack easily. Not to keep stating the obvious but Kenda tires blow the big one as well although he seems mostly content with the wheelset and what have you. We live out in the county a bit so we usually ride a few hours to the nearest skytrain station to get into vancouver for bars/fun things to do on weekends our bikes take a good beating.