Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Must torque cassette????

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Must torque cassette????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 01:46 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Must torque cassette????

Changing 10 speed cassette on my 26" wheeled Surly LHT. It's a Shimano HG50 in 11-36. It's exactly the same as the one it has now built up by Surly. I have the tool and chain whip. I am fairly handy with all sorts of tools. I'm not too afraid of over tightening but want to ask about dangers of under tightening. If you guys think a torque wrench is necessary, is the Park Tools one that's about $130 on Amazon the best option?
Old 05-04-23, 01:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Isn't it 40 Nm? That's more than you might think. I used a torque wrench on a cassette once and was surprised how much tighter 40 Nm was than what I'd been guessing. Still, I wouldn't buy a wrench just for this. I crank them down until they pop a half dozen times, very precise.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-04-23, 02:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I've been working on my own bikes for a LOT of years, and have never had an issue with a cassette lockring coming loose. I go to the "pretty tight" setting in my arms. Unless you need an excuse to buy a new tool, a torque wrench is not necessary for this application (IMO).
Old 05-04-23, 02:35 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
and use a dab of anti seize on those lockring threads.

you'll thank yourself when the time comes to remove it

/markp
Old 05-04-23, 02:53 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
If you give the tool a good yank you will not be under-tightening. Aside from vibration, there are no forces on the lock ring that will cause it to loosen.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 05-04-23, 03:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
If you give the tool a good yank you will not be under-tightening. Aside from vibration, there are no forces on the lock ring that will cause it to loosen.
Agreed. Plus it often helps to think based on potential consequences. If, for example the nut holding your front brake to the fork loosens and falls off the consequences could be very serious. OTOH what's the worst that could possibly happen if a lockring is somewhat under torqued?

FWIW - Some of the reasons we're seeing bike part torque specs has NOTHING to do with actual specific requirements. It's a problem of culture and communication. BITD folks learned mechanics by formal or informal training by a master of sorts. We learned to let the bolt size and thread pitch guide us, and assumed it was chosen based of the requirements. Of course, there were and still are times where that's not so, and we need a spec to override the default. Secondly, it's a question of communication. Manufacturers are now expected instructional data, and in the USA especially, can be held liable if products are assembled improperly. So, torque specs are included because how else can they communicate how not to over or under tighten.

I, for one, would appreciate torques to be spec'd as a range, with absolutes only offered as a max. or min. as relevant.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-04-23, 03:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
The only issue with under torquing the lockring on the rear cassette or even the centerlock brakes if you have them, is that it might loosen. And if you don't notice it, then after many rides with it loose you might find yourself replacing something. So, IMO, the likely worse thing is you just spend a little money. As well you'll probably be wondering why your bottom bracket is making an unusual noise and posting about it on BF.

If you do happen to find it loose before it causes an issue, then simply tighten it a little tighter than you did the previous time.
Old 05-04-23, 03:59 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
You guys have this all wrong. You dont tighten the lockring to keep it from turning. The heavily torqued lockring compresses the sprockets into each other so they hold position and dont clock into the freehub body.

Those super deep dents in the freehub splines? Under torqued lockrings.

Grease it and put it on TIGHT. Same with pedals.

A house would fall apart if the screws holding the studs together weren't locking the 2x4s into each other with high torque. Same idea.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-04-23, 04:10 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I rotate the cassette until all the cogs are pushing snug up against the splines, then I tighten the lock ring.
Although Kontact's theory also has merit- if all the cogs are tightened against each other, then that avoids the problem of an individual cog pushing against and cutting into the hub body.
Old 05-04-23, 04:56 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I've been working on my own bikes for a LOT of years, and have never had an issue with a cassette lockring coming loose. I go to the "pretty tight" setting in my arms. Unless you need an excuse to buy a new tool, a torque wrench is not necessary for this application (IMO).
huh... i always go for "Pretty Darn Tight" and sometimes "Really Darn Tight!".

i hate filing burrs off of freehub splines.... i ran into a 105 shimano hub a couple years back where the notching was so bad that just getting the cassette off became a project.. i went with "Way Too Damn Tight!" when i reassembled that one.....

Once the individual cogs start moving independent of each other, the wear begins in earnest....and what gets not considered is the wearing of the spacers between the cogs.
Drivetrain Road Grit is abrasives with cement made of old lube holding it together. CLEAN it off regularly...

Cleaning the bike is a great way to inspect for Loose things, Worn things, and Bent things too.

i even clean the spokes, one at a time... any loose ones are immediately apparent... i twist a bread sack tie onto the loose ones, then keep cleaning..

Last edited by maddog34; 05-04-23 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-04-23, 04:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
huh... i always go for "Pretty Darn Tight" and sometimes "Really Darn Tight!".

i hate filing burrs off of freehub splines.... i ran into a 105 shimano hub a couple years back where the notching was so bad that just getting the cassette off became a project.. i went with "Way Too Damn Tight!" when i reassembled that one.....

Once the individual cogs start moving independent of each other, the wear begins in earnest....and what gets not considered is the wearing of the spacers between the cogs.
Drivetrain Road Grit is abrasives with cement made of old lube holding it together. CLEAN it off regularly...

Cleaning the bike is a great way to inspect for Loose things, Worn things, and Bent things too.
I guess "Pretty Darn Tight" is a more accurate setting - lol. I think the only place I've used "Really Darn Tight" has been threaded bottom brackets.
Old 05-04-23, 06:32 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
I guess "Pretty Darn Tight" is a more accurate setting - lol. I think the only place I've used "Really Darn Tight" has been threaded bottom brackets.
i always use "one last good UUMPH".. on threaded BB's.

"pretty tight' is used on steering stem screws.

and then there's "I think i can get another UUMPH out of it!".. which is often found on steel ft. der clamps that actually deformed the seat tubes before the ham-fisting ended....
i found one of those a month ago... and somewhere in the garage is a fork with a crushed steerer tube... the top of the tube was flared from pounding too...
Old 05-04-23, 07:31 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Just get an inexpensive beam torque wrench:

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-8-inch-V...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Last edited by themp; 05-04-23 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-04-23, 07:52 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,521 Times in 2,862 Posts
I learned the hard way that a cassette needs a lot more torque than I thought.
I came home one evening with a loose cassette making a "thunk", every time I resumed pedaling.
So a torque wrench it is.
Old 05-04-23, 07:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
No need for torque wrench to tighten cassette lock ring. Finger tighten using the lock ring tool, then 1/6 turn.

I personally finish with a 1/4 turn because Tony Marchand looks like he has stronger fingers than I do.
Old 05-05-23, 07:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I learned the hard way that a cassette needs a lot more torque than I thought.
I came home one evening with a loose cassette making a "thunk", every time I resumed pedaling.
So a torque wrench it is.
Happened to me on an event ride. I literally couldn't keep the chain on a gear. Fortunately, after finger-tightening, I was able to make it to the next SAG stop where the mechanic could tighten it for me. He gave me a really weird look!

So get it snug first, then make sure the lockring is Really Darn Tight.
Old 05-05-23, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Kontact
You guys have this all wrong. You dont tighten the lockring to keep it from turning. The heavily torqued lockring compresses the sprockets into each other so they hold position and dont clock into the freehub body.

Those super deep dents in the freehub splines? Under torqued lockrings.

Grease it and put it on TIGHT. Same with pedals.

A house would fall apart if the screws holding the studs together weren't locking the 2x4s into each other with high torque. Same idea.
I don't know that we got it wrong. We were just saying that a torque wrench isn't necessary. And how to deal with lockrings, nuts and bolts that come loose.

One of the indications of being too loose is exactly what you described. Though that would be found after the fact, but even then it's more a ugliness than a working issue. I suppose it makes some hard to pull off.

But it's a good point you made that maybe we were making it sound like it didn't need to be tight.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-05-23 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-05-23, 09:22 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Likewise, though I do use a torque wrench because I have one. That said, I have seen other riders with lock rings coming loose and cogs flopping around. It's beyond me how this happens, but it does happen. Pretty darn tight is about the right setting for those not using a torque wrench.
Old 05-05-23, 10:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
FWIW, it's possible to tighten a loose lock ring enough to finish a ride. Use a shoe as a hammer and the flat head from a multi-tool as a drift in the serrations. Works surprisingly well and you'll amaze your riding buddies. The most aggravating part is getting the cogs realigned while juggling stuff on the roadside.
Old 05-05-23, 08:25 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know that we got it wrong. We were just saying that a torque wrench isn't necessary. And how to deal with lockrings, nuts and bolts that come loose.

One of the indications of being too loose is exactly what you described. Though that would be found after the fact, but even then it's more a ugliness than a working issue. I suppose it makes some hard to pull off.

But it's a good point you made that maybe we were making it sound like it didn't need to be tight.
What you got wrong is suggesting that the only reason to get the lockring tight is to prevent the lockring from loosening. That knurled lockring wouldn't loosen if you tightened it with your fingers.

Those little cogs bear all of your weight charging up a hill. They aren't designed to do that by just hooking on the splines, but by becoming a solid part of the freehub body. This is exactly the same principle as what holds your crank arm to the the spindle or your pedals to the crank arm. Or your car's wheels to the hubs. The fact that the splined shapes get in the way of each other has nothing to do with how forces are supposed to be transmitted. If you don't lock them too each other the parts destroy each other, create more play, screw with your shiftiing and make your freehub harder and harder to fit new cogs on.

The only upside to not tightening the parts on your bike correctly is that you won't have to ask your dad to get them loose for you.

The spec is 40nM. Not "tight enough" or "use loctite". Use grease and those cyclists muscles.
Old 05-07-23, 08:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

What you got wrong is suggesting that the only reason to get the lockring tight is to prevent the lockring from loosening. That knurled lockring wouldn't loosen if you tightened it with your fingers.

Those little cogs bear all of your weight charging up a hill. They aren't designed to do that by just hooking on the splines, but by becoming a solid part of the freehub body. This is exactly the same principle as what holds your crank arm to the the spindle or your pedals to the crank arm. Or your car's wheels to the hubs. The fact that the splined shapes get in the way of each other has nothing to do with how forces are supposed to be transmitted. If you don't lock them too each other the parts destroy each other, create more play, screw with your shiftiing and make your freehub harder and harder to fit new cogs on.

The only upside to not tightening the parts on your bike correctly is that you won't have to ask your dad to get them loose for you.

The spec is 40nM. Not "tight enough" or "use loctite". Use grease and those cyclists muscles.
Then I suppose I should have defined "it" better in my statement if you take that to only mean the lockring. Sure I'll take the hit for wording so nit-picking could take place.
Old 05-07-23, 09:36 AM
Kontact 

The only issue with under torquing the lockring on the rear cassette or even the centerlock brakes if you have them, is that it might loosen. And if you don't notice it, then after many rides with it loose you might find yourself replacing something. So, IMO, the likely worse thing is you just spend a little money. As well you'll probably be wondering why your bottom bracket is making an unusual noise and posting about it on BF.

If you do happen to find it loose before it causes an issue, then simply tighten it a little tighter than you did the previous time.
Then I suppose I should have defined "it" better in my statement if you take that to only mean the lockring. Sure I'll take the hit for wording so nit-picking could take place.
How is undertorquing followed by "a little tighter" a recommendation to get the lockring tight? It doesn't sound like a recommendation to get the lockring fully torqued at all.
Old 05-07-23, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

How is undertorquing followed by "a little tighter" a recommendation to get the lockring tight? It doesn't sound like a recommendation to get the lockring fully torqued at all.
Now you are talking nonsense. No where did I state to under tighten the lockring. Everything else was about what to do if it turned out to not be tightened enough the first time.
Old 05-07-23, 09:50 AM
Kontact 

Now you are talking nonsense. No where did I state to under tighten the lockring. Everything else was about what to do if it turned out to not be tightened enough the first time.
So if you discover that your lockring isn't tight enough, like 20nM, and you then tighten it "a little more", like to 30nM; how is that going to get it to the correct 40nM?
Old 05-07-23, 10:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

So if you discover that your lockring isn't tight enough, like 20nM, and you then tighten it "a little more", like to 30nM; how is that going to get it to the correct 40nM?
Have you never read the directions on the back of a bottle of shampoo? "rinse and repeat"

You are also assuming that the ring is not tightened enough from the very start.

If you are suggesting that a torque wrench must always be used and that torque must be exactly 40nM, then I can only say I disagree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.